This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

push notifications

11 Answers 122 Views
General Discussion
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Kevin asked on 29 Apr 2013, 02:38 PM
I've read and re-read the blog post regarding this and I've still as of yet failed to receive notifications. :(

I've tried everything completely to the T exactly like the example code (even using the example code right now because i'm at my wits end.)

I've read numerous tutorials for generating the pem files and those are good as far as i know. (used tutorials to connect to apples server and they seem valid). But i'm only able to get as far as receiving a token from apple. nothing I do no matter what actually delivers a notification to my device. (Using graphite deploy to device, iphone 4s)

I will gladly post any code needed, but it's line for line the example code with my cert and key files replaced and the port changed on my node.js application. I added alerts inside onNotificationAPN method and it;'s never triggered.

I'm getting the exact same behavior if i try to send a notification from PHP scripts, also i've tried generating and using both dev and ad hoc certificates for this. same result with both.

has anybody managed to get this stuff working at all?

recap. I received the first "do you want to allow blah blah notifications" thing to my app and I am issued a token by the pushplugin. But that is as far as I'm able to get.

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Apr 2013, 02:57 PM
Is a support system going live on may 1st when the payment plans are instituted? We've got our app completed the only thing hanging us up is the push notifications. We plan on signing up for the ultimate plan because we need to get notifications working asap and seem to be hitting a brick wall.

thanks!
Stefan Dobrev
Telerik team
answered on 01 May 2013, 09:07 AM
Hi Kevin,

It might sound trivial but can you check again if some of the following items is not the problem in your case:
  • The application identifier set in Project Properties is exactly the same as configured on the iOS provisioning portal. If you have an ad-hoc mobile provision you do not have to include the bundle prefix (Seed ID) in the identifier.
  • Make sure you have included the PushNotification.js in your HTML.
  • Make sure your firewall is not blocking any of the calls.

Also it would be good if you try to isolate your problem in a separate application. Just take the code from the blog post and try to make it work with a new App ID and a developer provision.

Regarding the support system it will be available once we announce the May update of Icenium, which is expected in the first half of the month.

All the best,
Stefan Dobrev
the Telerik team

Share feedback and vote for features on our Feedback Portal.
Want some Kendo UI online training - head over to Kendo UI Dojo.
Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 May 2013, 03:15 PM
Hello Stefan. I'm still struggling trying to get push notifications working and my boss wants me to try to find an Icenium / Phonegap expert to bring in to the mix, look over what we have and help get it functional (paid of course). Do you know of anybody I can contact within telerik that would be available for something of this nature that I could contact? I would really appreciate it.

my email is kevin.holland@landmarktx.com

-- As a followup to stefans last post i did all of the suggested tasks.

Created a brand new app id and project that contains just the sample app code. (modified to point to the ip of my node.js instance)

the app id of my app is exactly the same as the provisioning portal (in fact until they match you can not even deploy to your device).

The plugin is enabled via graphite AND the js file is included properly. (if it wasnt i would not be shown my token! i alert the token when its received and i'm getting one)

I've tested my server that contains the node.js app and with telnet gateway.sandbox.push.apple.com 2195 i'm able to connect just fine.

Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 May 2013, 03:36 AM
As a last ditch attempt, i installed phonegap and tried to get notifications working with the latest phonegap / cordova. It worked beautifully. Using the same certificates, etc. Why? Who knows maybe something in the newer versions. It's going to really suck to have to leave icenium's ease of use though so I'm hoping somebody, anybody will be able to chime in here.
Stefan Dobrev
Telerik team
answered on 07 May 2013, 10:16 AM
Hi Kevin,

We have experienced similar problems in the past and the root cause was that our App ID was not correct. Can you please again double check that your ID in Project Properties is without the Bundle Seed prefix? For example: CHSQ3M3P37.com.telerik.pushy should be just com.telerik.pushy.

To make sure you can also examine the contents of the built ipa file and verify that the Info.plist contains CFBundleIdentifier that does not have the seed prefix.

All the best,
Stefan Dobrev
the Telerik team

Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 May 2013, 12:33 AM
Awesome, that was it. It's working now. 

Now for the next question. When i was using phonegap I was using a different plugin.

https://github.com/mgcrea/cordova-push-notification

This plugin has a method pushNotification.getPendingNotifications

Which is called when the app becomes active or is opened and contains information about the specific notification clicked on to enter the app. Is there any sort of similar functionality in the "genericPush" plugin you guys use?

Or put another way is there any way to detect if the user opened the app from clicking a notification vs opening the app normally?

Thanks
Stefan Dobrev
Telerik team
answered on 08 May 2013, 09:33 AM
Hi Kevin,

I'm glad that you have made this work for you.

Regarding your question you can look at the foreground flag on the event data to determine whether you are processing a background or an in-line (active app) notification. You can find more information about this in the plugin's documentation.

All the best,
Stefan Dobrev
the Telerik team

Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 May 2013, 02:20 PM
Forgive me if I'm not understanding something or just flat out missing something obvious, but I don't see how a flag makes any difference in the matter. I'm dealing with iOS specifically right now and the only part of the documentation that talks about coldstart and foreground seems to be android specific. From what i can gather in the docs iOS has the following callbacks....

register, tokenHandler, errorHandler, ecb, unregister, setapplicationiconbadgenumber

from my tests it would seem ecb is only invoked when the app is in the foreground, so as of right now I don't know a way to even run an event for notifications in the background, it seems to be handled entirely by ios.

I don't see any event in the docs that would be run when the app becomes active or opens that would allow this.

I did entirely skip reading the meat of most of the android specific docs because i'm not dealing with android fully just yet, so if it's hidden in there that might explain it.

thanks for all of the assistance, I know this is not icenium's plugin and you may or may not have the best answers but i appreciate it nonetheless.
David Silveria
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 May 2013, 03:27 PM
As far as I can tell, currently the PushPlugin is missing this functionality for iOS, here is a similar, quire recent complaint.
Rohit
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Dec 2015, 01:50 PM

HI All,

I am stuck at one point.I have integrate the push-notification in our app and it is working properly but if I get any notification on my android device or IOS device and click on the notification then its not render on particular event ...it's goes on app dashboard. so can anybody solve my problem.

If I click any notification then it should goes at particular event not on the dashboard.

Thanks

Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 04 Jan 2016, 09:42 AM
Hello Rohit,

I am not sure I understand your question and scenario.

If you're using Telerik Backend Services to enable push notifications in your app, then you would be enabling the notifications through the currentDevice.enableNotifications() method. This method allows you to pass settings that will be applied during the push notifications initialization. They include the following 3 items:
  • notificationCallbackAndroid - allows you to specify a method that will be invoked when a notification is received on an Android device
  • notificationCallbackWP8 - allows you to specify a method that will be invoked when a notification is received on an WP device
  • notificationCallbackIOS - allows you to specify a method that will be invoked when a notification is received on an iOS device
If you're using a 3rd party push notification service, then defining a function to be triggered when a notification is received on the device, would depend on the Push plugin type or version you're using:

If you're looking for a different functionality, please describe it in more details and I will gladly advise you further. Please also let me know which plugin you're using so I can provide you with a more to-the-point information.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

Tags
General Discussion
Asked by
Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Kevin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Stefan Dobrev
Telerik team