This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Not seeing Telerik WP8 controls in VS2012.

13 Answers 168 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Tom
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tom asked on 04 Nov 2012, 03:38 PM
Hello,

I'm not seeing the Telerik WP8 controls or project templates within VS2012.  I've confirmed that I have install the Microsoft WP8 sdk and the Telerik WP8 controls.  I did try to create both a WP7.5 and WP8 project within VS2012 to see if the controls would appear.  

I did confirm that my VS2010 installation on the same dev box has the Telerik WP7 controls and project templates working correctly.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Nathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Nov 2012, 07:07 PM
I had to manually add them to the toolbox, just create a new tab then click add items and browse to the Telerik assemblies.
Accepted
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 06 Nov 2012, 07:34 AM
Hi Tom,

Thanks for writing.

The VS 2012 Project templates are still under development and will be available in a month or so (with Q3 2012 SP1).

Without them you should still be able to use RadControls for Windows Phone 8 in Visual Studio 2012. Please, let me know if you experience any difficulties in doing this so that I can help you further.

Kind regards,
Deyan
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Regan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Apr 2013, 03:45 AM
Hi, 
    I still have the same issue with the current version, 2013 Q1.. I do have other things installed in VS2012, but I'd still expect it to work.

In addition, I downloaded the WP8 Telerik example from the Market place, I've run it 3 times and got crashes on it twice, with a prompt to send the stack trace back via email. Not encouraging.

R.
Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 09:07 AM
Hello Regan,

Thanks for writing and for the provided feedback.

If I understand you correctly, the project templates are missing when creating new project. Could you confirm that? If that is the case, you need to have Telerik Windows Phone VSExtensions installed to ensure that the project templates are available in VS2012. The following steps will help you verify if the VSExtensions are currently installed:
  1. Run Visual Studio 2012
  2. Run Extensions and Updates from the Tools menu
  3. In the Installed tab section select All. The Telerik Windows Phone VSExtensions should be listed in the center of the dialog window, if currently installed.

Regarding the second issue, can you please share some further details about the crashes in the Telerik Examples app that you've experienced? Which examples were you at when the issue occurred? Can you send us the stack trace at the point of the exception? This will help us investigate and address potential glitches.

Looking forward your response.

All the best,
Dyanko
the Telerik team
Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
Regan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Apr 2013, 07:56 PM

1st issue:
I just checked Extensions and Updates from the Tools menu and it is not there, I see NuGet and other things but no Telerik.

I just noticed when I uninstalled and re-installed that the check boxes in the Telerik control panel for both VS2010 and VS2012 integration are both grayed out.

2nd issue:
In the sample apps there are "crash me" samples but I also get a crash swiping from page to page and it happens on both my Nokia 820 and my HTC 8S (I won the Nokia for an app in a competition).

Here is an example of the crash:

[ExceptionMessage]:[The remote server returned an error: NotFound.]
[StackTrace]:[
   at System.Net.Browser.AsyncHelper.BeginOnUI(SendOrPostCallback beginMethod, Object state)
   at System.Net.Browser.ClientHttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
   at Telerik.Examples.Data.FiveHundredPxAPI.<BeginGetPhotosByCategory>b__0(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Net.Browser.ClientHttpWebRequest.<>c__DisplayClass1d.<InvokeGetResponseCallback>b__1b(Object state2)]
[OccurrenceDate]:[Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:22:43 GMT]
[AppInstallDate]:[Thu, 04 Apr 2013 21:21:38 GMT]
[AppTotalRuns]:[1]
[AppRunsAfterLastUpdate]:[1]
[AppVersion]:[Q1 2013 WP8]
[Culture]:[en-AU]
[DeviceManufacturer]:[NOKIA]
[DeviceModel]:[RM-825_apac_australia_new_zealand_278]
[DeviceHardwareVersion]:[1.0.0.0]
[DeviceFirmwareVersion]:[1232.5951.1249.1002]
[OSVersion]:[Microsoft Windows NT 8.0.10211.0]
[CLRVersion]:[4.0.50829.0]
[DeviceType]:[Device]
[NetworkType]:[Wireless80211]
[DeviceTotalMemory(Mb)]:[898.3828]
[AppPeakMemoryUsage(Mb)]:[90.07813]
[AppCurrentMemoryUsage(Mb)]:[79.42578]
[IsoStorageAvailableSpace(Mb)]:[3268]

R.

Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 12 Apr 2013, 11:54 AM
Hello Regan,

Thanks for getting back to us and for the provided details.

1st issue:
The grayed out check boxes mean that the installed on your machine Visual Studio editions are not supported by the Telerik Windows Phone VSExtensions. Currently we support all Visual Studio Editions (both 2010 and 2012) except the Express ones. In case you are using editions different from the Express ones, the following steps will help you to download and install the Telerik Windows Phone VSExtensions:
  1. Run your Visual Studio
  2. Run the Extension Manager (in Visual Studio 2010) or Extensions and Updates (in Visual Studio 2012) from the Tools menu.
  3. Select Online Gallery on the left of the Extension Manager and type "Telerik" in the Search Online Gallery search box.
  4. Select Telerik Windows Phone VSExtensions, click the Download button and follow the installation steps.

2nd issue:
We are aware of this problem and have internally addressed it. We will be updating the Marketplace app soon.

Kind regards,
Dyanko
the Telerik team
Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
Regan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2013, 02:11 PM

There it is...

Currently we support all Visual Studio Editions (both 2010 and 2012) except the Express ones.

R.
Sunny
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Apr 2013, 03:24 AM
Do you have a timeframe when Express will be supported?
>S
Andrey
Telerik team
answered on 16 Apr 2013, 05:33 PM
Hello Sunny,

We do not have any timeframes we can share for the time being.

Regards,
Andrey
the Telerik team
KUMARAN
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Apr 2015, 07:49 AM

Hi..I have the same issue .But i can see the Telerik Windows Phone VSExtensions on the Extensions and Updates.

Still the project templates are not loaded ,and i don't see Telerik menu option anywhere else.

Looking forward your response.

Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 14 Apr 2015, 02:56 PM
Hi Kumaran,

Thank you for contacting us.

What edition of Visual Studio you are currently using? In case you are using an Express edition you will not be able to take advantage of using the Telerik Windows Phone Project Templates as currently the licensing of the Express editions does not allow third-party extensibility.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Dyanko
Telerik

See What's Next in App Development. Register for TelerikNEXT.

KUMARAN
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Apr 2015, 11:50 AM
Visual Studio Express 2012
Dyanko
Telerik team
answered on 20 Apr 2015, 07:10 AM
Hello Kumaran,

Currently our VSExtensions for Windows Phone does not provide Project Templates under the Express editions of Visual Studio. Our extensibility in the Express editions provides an Item Templates, which could be found under the Add New Item dialog of Visual Studio.

Please let us know in case any questions arise.

Regards,
Dyanko
Telerik

See What's Next in App Development. Register for TelerikNEXT.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Tom
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nathan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Deyan
Telerik team