This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Newbie Questions

1 Answer 27 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mike asked on 06 Apr 2011, 02:12 AM
I just finished working through Silverlight for Dummies so have a good understanding of standard components/XAML/CodeBehind and some familiarity with WCF Data Services/ADO.Net Entity Framework etc 

Having somehow found my way here I am impressed with the components but have some (newbie) questions as I play around (apologies if and where these may be answered in the docs/tuts/vids):

1.)  Telerik vs. Standard Silverlight components is obvious but why Telerik vs. other Silverlight component vendors?

2.)  The Telerik installation indicates a 60 day trial but the license seems to suggest the tools can forever be used non-commercially and are full versions but have a sometimes appearing trial notification.  The site I'm building is comprehensive so I'll likely be buying soon enough but clarification would be great.

3.)  I'm pretty sure WCF RIA Services are the latest/most recent  "entity framework" -- insofar as the project in mind is starting from scratch, is this (WCF RIA) the server/database interaction strategy I should target, and if not what would be recommended?  (Fwiw my previous experience is with MySql -- largely stored procedures -- and ColdFusion to create sites but frankly for both tools and learning conventions/structures Flash is waaaay behind where SL seems).

4.)  If I am willing to pay a consultant to help me get going quickly and then sporadically on a per issue basis, is this (ie including site architecture issues) something that would be available within the scope of the premium license package AND/OR is there some other entities willing to offer this (if an individual email me directly with rates and near term availability).  

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 06 Apr 2011, 08:12 AM
Hi Mike,

Straight onto your questions:

1) Usually we don't compare our components with other commercial vendors publicly. It is a bit unethical in our opinion. If you have specific questions however you can open support ticket and we will gladly answer you!

2) Indeed you can use our trial version forever - just the support will expire. 

3) In our opinion WCF RIA Services is definitely the way to go. You will get fast and lightweight RESTful service with built-in support for paging, sorting, filtering, grouping, CRUD, etc. In most of scenarios you will not need to write code (RadDomainDataSource!).

4) Please check this page fore more info. 

Kind regards,
Vlad
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vlad
Telerik team
Share this question
or