This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

JustTrace 2011 Q2 Known Issues

11 Answers 156 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Telerik Admin asked on 14 Jul 2011, 10:21 AM
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for helping us make JustTrace a better product by participating in this forum. Your feedback is very valuable for us so keep on sending it. In order to help you we are posting some known issues in JustTrace 2011 Q2 release that we are working on and will try our best to improve for the next major release. This major release will include not only fixes but some new functionalities as well. But we'll tell you about them some other time :)

Here are the known issues in JustTrace 2011 Q2 release:

1. On 64 bit OS JustTrace can profile ASP.NET websites and IIS services that are 64 bit, only. 32 bit ASP.NET websites and IIS services on 64 bit OS are not yet supported.

2.  With JustTrace you can profile only one IIS service at a time.

3. Sometimes the installation process could not update system entries due to system specific environment. If this happens, please repair the installation using the same MSI file.

4. JustTrace can profile IIS services on Windows Vista and later, and using Internet Explorer or Google Chrome only. We plan on extending the supported OS and browsers very soon.

5. When you are attaching to a running Windows Service in Windows XP to profile the service you won't get any Live Data or Snapshots.

Stay tuned also for upcoming internal builds in which we'll tackle these issues one by one.

Thanks,
Vladi
The Telerik team

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jon Masterson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 12:41 PM
I am still getting VS2010 CTDs when trying to use Just Trace inside.

I was unable to capture the error message although I asked JT to report the problem.
Jon Masterson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jul 2011, 12:44 PM
The same CTD arises when I run stand alone:

System.ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Add(TKey key, TValue value)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[TSource,TKey,TElement](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector, IEqualityComparer`1 comparer)
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToDictionary[TSource,TKey,TElement](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 keySelector, Func`2 elementSelector)
   at Telerik.JustTrace.Api.EventTrace.EventTraceMetaDataDescriptor.GetJustTraceEventDescriptions(Guid providerGuid) in c:\B\Minotaur\JustTrace CI Build\Sources\Telerik.JustTrace.Api\EventTrace\EventTraceMetaDataDescriptor.cs:line 302
   at Telerik.JustTrace.Api.EventTrace.EventTraceWatcher..ctor(String loggerName, Guid providerGuid, Guid categGuidBase) in c:\B\Minotaur\JustTrace CI Build\Sources\Telerik.JustTrace.Api\EventTrace\EventTraceWatcher.cs:line 51
   at Telerik.JustTrace.Api.New.PerformanceProfilerBase.#Kbb() in c:\B\Minotaur\JustTrace CI Build\Sources\Telerik.JustTrace.Api\New\PerformanceProfilerBase.cs:line 282
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

I believe this is the same error I reported in the beta.
JT is not useable on my system  VS2010 Win7 64bit
Mihail
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jul 2011, 12:24 PM
Hello Jon Masterson,

Thank you for your feedback. One possible reason for the error you reported is silent error during installation. I would suggest to execute the following command from elevated command prompt:

C:\Windows\System32\wbem\wmic.exe /namespace:\\root\wmi CLASS Telerik_JustTrace_v1_0_0 delete

Make sure that the command returns "Class deletion successful."

Then repair JustTrace installation from Control Panel / Programs and Features. Please let us know if that solves the issue.

All the best,
Mike
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Jon Masterson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jul 2011, 01:46 PM
Sorry - that makes no difference - other than causing my dexktop to CTD with the command
Dwight
Telerik team
answered on 21 Jul 2011, 08:31 AM
Hello Jon,

We are working on resolving the issue. We will notify you when a fix is available.

Best,
Dwight
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get now >>

Jon Masterson
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jul 2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks

I would like to try Just Trace but obviously can't at the moment.  If I can provide any testing support please let me know
abdu bukres
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Jul 2011, 09:27 PM
Why does it matter which browser is used? Isn't the profiler just profiling process on the server?
Dwight
Telerik team
answered on 26 Jul 2011, 07:52 AM
Hello Abdu,

The browser is important for two reasons.
1. The Web server application might have browser-specific code, which needs performance analysis.
2. Silverlight applications run in brower-owned processes, not on the server.

Greetings,
Dwight
the Telerik team

abdu bukres
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Jul 2011, 05:06 PM

What if the page has no client code and no Silverlight? Why can't Firefox be used?

What if I don't care about profiling client code? Are you saying the analysis will show Javascript code?
Dwight
Telerik team
answered on 27 Jul 2011, 08:48 AM
Hi Abdu,

We are currently working on extending browers support. Firefox and Google Chrome will be supported as well.

As I mentioned earlier, brower is important when profiling Silverlight applications. We are not implementing Javascript performance analysis tool as each brower has it's own javascript engine.

Browers are important even when only profiling the server-side as they send requests to the server, and each brower employs different techniques for pulling all the necessary information from the server.

And, again, the ASP.NET code can detect the brower that requested the page through the HTTP request in order to provide browser-specific resources, such as CSS/HTML/etc. files, or to build the HTML in specific way. Even with HTML5 there are brower differences. Some scenarios need specific handling.

Best,
Dwight
the Telerik team

Vladi
Telerik team
answered on 09 Aug 2011, 02:25 PM
Hello Everyone,

Just to let you know that we have published a new internal build of JustTrace. You can check its release notes here: http://www.telerik.com/versionnotes.aspx?nb=1&id=1459

Besides the listed improvements, some of the known issues from above are also fixed. Issue number 5 is fixed and issue number 4 is improved - now JustTrace supports IIS profiling under Windows XP and you can use Mozilla Firefox (including version 5) browser as well.

We keep on improving the product, so expect a new version soon with more fixes and enhancements. As usual if you have any questions and feedback, please send them to us.

Greetings,
Vladi
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Telerik Admin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Answers by
Jon Masterson
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mihail