This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

JustCode not starting VS2012

32 Answers 289 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 2
Paul asked on 14 Sep 2012, 08:49 AM
I hope this isn't a duplicate, I've tried searching the forums, etc..

I've got VS2010 & VS2012 installed, however JustCode doesn't appear to be installed correctly with VS2012.  I'd upgraded JustCode after installing VS2012 but it never starts and there is not JustCode menu.  VS2010 is working fine so far as I can tell.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

32 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vladi
Telerik team
answered on 14 Sep 2012, 10:30 AM
Hi Paul,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. There are two options to fix this issue:

1) One is to try the "Change" option of JustCode installer from "Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features". Just right click on "Telerik JustCode Q2 2012 SP2" program and choose "Change" from the context menu. Then the installation will guide you in the process of adding JustCode for VS 2012.

2) The second option is to uninstall JustCode and then install it again. You can use Telerik Control Panel or directly download and run the MSI installer.

Please let me know if none of these options work for you.

Regards,
Vladi
the Telerik team

Time to cast your vote for Telerik! Tell DevPro Connections and Windows IT Pro why Telerik is your choice. Telerik is nominated in a total of 25 categories.

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Sep 2012, 06:33 PM
Vladi, thanks for your swift reply.  Tried both of those options and it still isn't working.  Have you any more suggestions?
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 18 Sep 2012, 09:38 AM
I've messed about some more and found that in Tools > Options > Add-in security, the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\JustCode\Libraries" was missing.  I did add it manually but it made no difference.

I've uninstalled, scrubbed all reference to JustCode from the HDD & registry, even reinstalled an earlier build but still no joy.  Meanwhile VS2010 detects the add-in and works fine.
Zdravko
Telerik team
answered on 19 Sep 2012, 02:41 PM
Hello Paul, 

Thanks for the reply.
I will ask you to provide us some logs which you should gather by following the points below.
  1. Uninstall JustCode.
  2. Download our SP2 version and install it with /L JustCodeInstallerLog.txt (the name of the file is not important) and send us the log.
  3. Start VS with /log . Then the log should be located at %appdata%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\<VS version (e.g. 11.0)>\ActivityLog.xml. Please send it to us.
  4. And at the last JustCode's logs from %localappdata%\JustCode\Logs if there is any.
Thanks and I hope this will help us to investigate the issue.

All the best,
Zdravko
the Telerik team

Time to cast your vote for Telerik! Tell DevPro Connections and Windows IT Pro why Telerik is your choice. Telerik is nominated in a total of 25 categories.

Nils C.
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Oct 2012, 04:33 PM
Same Problem here, did you find a solution? I reinstalled many times, changed, repaired.. nothing helps...
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Oct 2012, 06:05 PM
Hi Nils, Believe it or not it eventually just worked! I tried everything, everything, short of uninstalling Visual Studio.
Zdravko
Telerik team
answered on 15 Oct 2012, 11:49 AM
Hi,

@Nils C.
Would you please provide the logs from my previous post?
What is your VS version and is it happening for VS12 only?
Do you have JustCode menu after the installation?
Thanks.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Greetings,
Zdravko
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Nils C.
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Oct 2012, 12:15 PM
Hi,

complete reinstall of visual studio was a solution for me. Now, all is working fine.

Best

Nils
Mike
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Oct 2012, 04:34 PM
Same issue. Can't open any projects since the upgrade this morning. I'm trying repairs/reinstalls now.
Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 20 Oct 2012, 11:21 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, we introduced an issue with our latest internal build, which causes Visual Studio to freeze when an exception is thrown. This is already fixed and will be included in our next internal build, but meanwhile I would like to ask you to go back to the official Q3 release.
I am sorry for the caused inconvenience!

Regards,
Ivan
the Telerik team

George Fahnbulleh
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Oct 2012, 02:26 AM
This seriously BLEW UP my VS2012 environment. I had to literally uninstall everything! Not good at all! :(
George Fahnbulleh
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Oct 2012, 02:52 PM
I was able to "fix" this by:
  1. deleting VS2012
  2. deleting Telerik controls
  3. deleting all VS2012 registry keys
  4. deleting the appdata\Roaming\Micorosof\Microsoft Visual Studio\Visual Studio 11
  5. reinstalling VS2012
  6. reinstalling Telerik Controls without JustCode
Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2012, 07:26 AM
Hi,

I am sorry for the caused inconvenience. I just want to note an easier way to fix the Visual Studio hanging - you do not need to reinstall VS2012 or the Telerik controls. You can only revert to the official Q3 release of JustCode and this will fix the issue.

Regards,
Ivan
the Telerik team

Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Oct 2012, 10:15 PM
Just a warning note:

On my case I tried uninstalling Just Code and opening VS afterwards. VS would not start.

I had to reinstall an older version (Q2) to be able to start VS again.
Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 05:30 AM
I tried installing the latest development version that is supposed to correct this issue.

VS run fine until I tried to enable Just Code error checking for C# and XAML. After that VS is crashing at launch...
Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 08:06 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I would like to add more clarity to the issue.
In our official Q3 release we logged the exception :"Telerik.VSX.Shell.Xaml.CommonXaml' does not have a resource identified" and handled it which ensures that VS will not crash although JustCode is not the cause of the exception.
The internal build from Sept 19 handles this case by checking whether the unhandled exception is VSX exception. If it is we do not log it and we do not handle it and if no other tool handles this exception, Visual Studio crashes.
This is the reason why VS crashes - we see that this is not an exception thrown by JustCode and we do not handle it (since JustCode is not the reason for the exception).
Visual Studio should crash also without JustCode installed.
However, having the Q3 release installed will not result in VS crash, because JustCode will mark the exception as handled and will log it.
Could you try updating all your Telerik extensions and see whether this will fix the crash?
If you have any more questions or remarks, please do not hesitate to contact us again!

Regards,
Ivan
the Telerik team

Iwhp
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 10:51 AM
The following does not help:
> Reinstall v2012.3.1022.2
> Reinstall via Telerik Control Panel (12.3.1017.1)

Visual Studio v2012 does not crash, but the JustCode menu item is NOT shown.
Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 11:32 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. Could you check whether JustCode is present in "Tools->Extensions and Updates"? And whether it is enabled or disabled?

Regards,
Ivan
the Telerik team

Iwhp
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 11:56 AM
No it is not there. I can find it under "Online" and the link brings me to the Telerik Web Page.
Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 11:58 AM
Hello,

Can you please open a support ticket where you can continue our conversation.
Thank you for your help!

All the best,
Ivan
the Telerik team

George Fahnbulleh
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 01:03 PM
You need to add the Telerik extensions for it to appear.
Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 01:08 PM
Hello,

Could you please uninstall JustCode and then install it again with a log file. To do that you need to open a Command Promt and run: "msiexec /i <Product.msi> /L*V <log file path>" without the quotes. By <Product.msi> I mean the full path to the JustCode msi - for example C:\JustCode_2012.3.1017_Dev.msi. And by <log file path> I mean the desired path for the log fie i.e. C:\justCodeInstallerLog.txt.
And then please send us the log file.
Thank you for your help!

Greetings,
Ivan
the Telerik team

Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 10:50 PM
Hi Ivan,

Let me try to be clear about the upgrade process I have done and the unfolding of events:

Had VS 2012RC with Just Code Q2 2012 and all the other Q2 Telerik plugins installed and working fine.
Upgraded Just Code to Q3 production version (And all other telerik plugins, using the telerik control panel). Got an exception. Just Code would stop working properly.
Tried to upgrade to the first development version you put out (Sept 19). VS crashes (would not start).
Uninstalled Just Code. VS crashes (would not start).
Intalled Just Code Q3 production version. VS crashes (would not start).
Uninstalled Just Code. VS crashes (would not start).
Reinstalled JustCode Q2 2012 (12.2.608.4). VS starts. Just Code has an exception. (I try to click on the error icon to see the error but it does not respond.)

Attached is a screen shot of the versions of telerik I have installed at the moment.

If something else is causing the exception to be thrown (which makes sense), the issue is that it either happened when I upgraded to the Q3 plugins, or something else I have done prior to that but never found out since you were handling the event in Just Code.

Any way I can log the VS load process and check for exceptions, to try and track what is causing the issue?

Also since clicking on the error icon in Just Code is not working, does Just Code log this errors somewhere so I can try to check for what is the exception?

Cheers,

Hugo

Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Oct 2012, 11:01 PM
Managed to get the exceptions:

WPF Exception [HResult:80131500]

System.Exception: The component 'Telerik.VSX.Shell.Xaml.CommonXaml' does not have a resource identified by the URI '/Telerik.VSX.Shell;component/xaml/commonxaml.xaml'.
   at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Object component, Uri resourceLocator)
   at Telerik.VSX.Shell.Xaml.CommonXaml.InitializeComponent()
   at Telerik.VSX.Shell.VSWindow..ctor()
   at Telerik.VSX.Forms.BaseNotificationForm..ctor(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   at Telerik.VSX.Helpers.NotificationManager..ctor(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   at Telerik.KendoUI.Mvc.VSPackage.VsPackage.GetUpgradeAvailabilityMonitor()
   at Telerik.VSX.VSPackage.PackageBase.<>c__DisplayClass5.<OnSolutionOpened>b__2()
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
Log Site Stacktrace:
   at Telerik.JustCode.Common.Logging.ExceptionInfo.GetExceptionString(Exception ex) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\Logging\ExceptionInfo.cs:line 91
   at Telerik.JustCode.Common.Logging.LogService.LogException(Exception ex, String message) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\Logging\LogService.cs:line 129
   at Telerik.JustCode.Common.Logger.LogException(Exception ex, String message) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\Logging\Logger.cs:line 117
   at Telerik.JustCode.Services.VSApplicationService.#ASu(Object sender, DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventArgs e) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\JustCode.Application\Services\VSApplicationService.cs:line 70
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.CatchException(Exception e)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.CatchExceptionStatic(Object source, Exception e)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.CatchException(Object source, Exception e, Delegate catchHandler)
   at MS.Internal.Threading.ExceptionFilterHelper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

Second one:

System.Exception: The component 'Telerik.VSX.Shell.Xaml.CommonXaml' does not have a resource identified by the URI '/Telerik.VSX.Shell;component/xaml/commonxaml.xaml'.
   at System.Windows.Application.LoadComponent(Object component, Uri resourceLocator)
   at Telerik.VSX.Shell.Xaml.CommonXaml.InitializeComponent()
   at Telerik.VSX.Shell.VSWindow..ctor()
   at Telerik.VSX.Forms.BaseNotificationForm..ctor(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   at Telerik.VSX.Helpers.NotificationManager..ctor(IServiceProvider serviceProvider)
   at Telerik.KendoUI.Mvc.VSPackage.VsPackage.GetUpgradeAvailabilityMonitor()
   at Telerik.VSX.VSPackage.PackageBase.<>c__DisplayClass5.<OnSolutionOpened>b__2()
Log Site Stacktrace:
   at Telerik.JustCode.Common.Logging.ExceptionInfo.GetExceptionString(Exception ex) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\Logging\ExceptionInfo.cs:line 91
   at Telerik.JustCode.Common.Logging.LogService.LogException(Exception ex, String message) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\Logging\LogService.cs:line 129
   at Telerik.JustCode.Common.Logger.LogException(Exception ex, String message) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\Logging\Logger.cs:line 117
   at Telerik.JustCode.Services.VSApplicationService.#ASu(Object sender, DispatcherUnhandledExceptionEventArgs e) in c:\B10\Manticore\Production_Release\Sources\JustCode.Application\Services\VSApplicationService.cs:line 70
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.CatchException(Exception e)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.CatchExceptionStatic(Object source, Exception e)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.CatchException(Object source, Exception e, Delegate catchHandler)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)

Ivan
Telerik team
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 07:57 AM
Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. The Visual Studio crash is caused by this exception you posted. It is not caused by JustCode and that is why Visual Studio crashes with or without the latest internal build of JustCode.
Please take a look at this forum thread which explains the issue and how to fix it.

Greetings,
Ivan
the Telerik team

Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Oct 2012, 10:38 PM
Thank you for pointing me to the other thread Ivan.

After upgrading the Kendo UI xtension to the latest build the exception no longer happened.

I tried upgrading Just Code to Q3 1022 afterwards and the error was back again. (and the unresponsive error icon)

Downgraded to Q2 and the error is gone.

I think I will stick with Q2 for the moment.

Cheers.
Zdravko
Telerik team
answered on 30 Oct 2012, 12:46 PM
Hello,

@Hugo
Did you upgrade all of your extension so they are all same version?
Would you send us the logs from %localappdata%\JustCode\Logs?
Meanwhile, we made a new internal build that would fix this issue. It will be released at the end of this week at the latest.
Thanks and stay tuned.

All the best,
Zdravko
the Telerik team

Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Oct 2012, 10:52 PM
Hi Zdravko,

Yep, all of my extensions (except Just Code) are upgraded to the official Q3 release.

Let me know where to send one of the logs and I will be happy to.

I will give the new release a try and let you know how it goes.

Cheers.
Zdravko
Telerik team
answered on 02 Nov 2012, 12:28 PM
Hello Hugo,

The latest internal build is alive so give it a try.
You can send the logs attached to a ticket, just write inside that it is related to this one.
Thanks.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Greetings,
Zdravko
the Telerik team

Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Nov 2012, 11:52 PM
Hi Zdravko,

I have installed and tested the latest version.

As you said it now solves the crashing issue starting VS, but Just Code is still not working after it loads. I get the "report a problem icon" at the bottom, but clicking on it does not pop up the usual report  window with the exceptions.

I will send the log back to support as you requested.

Cheers,

Hugo
Zdravko
Telerik team
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 04:54 PM
Hello Hugo,

Thanks for the reply.
I will really appreciate if you send me the logs.
Do you use VS RC version by any chance? If you do, I want to tell you that we do not support it with the newer versions than Q2 one.
Is that your case?
Thanks.

Regards,
Zdravko
the Telerik team

Guga
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Nov 2012, 09:42 PM
Hi Zdravko,

I have sent the log on the support ticket ID:625912.

As I mentioned there you are correct. I do use VS2012RC so that is the source of my problem.

Cheers,

Hugo
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Vladi
Telerik team
Paul