This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Install on VS2017 Preview

6 Answers 90 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
François
Top achievements
Rank 1
François asked on 17 Oct 2017, 07:47 AM

Hi,

The installer doesn't see VS2017 preview. How can I install the product there?

Tks.

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Lance | Manager Technical Support
Telerik team
answered on 17 Oct 2017, 09:03 PM
Hello Francois,

The product gets installed to a central location on your PC and not directly to any particular instance of Visual Studio, therefore you can still use it in VS 2017 Preview.

However, you won't see the Visual Studio extensions or item templates as we do not support VSExtensions for beta or preview version of Visual Studio.

Regards,
Lance | Tech Support Engineer, Sr.
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Oscar
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Apr 2018, 08:37 PM
That's not totally true, I can't install the Xamarin R1 2018 SP1 due to I only have Visual Studio 2017 Preview. It shows the following screen and after press the installation is
Telerik team
answered on 20 Apr 2018, 12:44 AM
Hi Oscar,

That error is because your Visual Studio Preview instance doesn't have Xamarin installed.

The quickest way to fix this is to open the Visual Studio Installer application, select "Modify" and then scroll down and find the Mobile Development with .NET workload and install it.

Here's a screenshot to guide you:

Regards,
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Oscar
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 20 Apr 2018, 08:54 AM

Hi Lance

I've already have installed the Mobile development with .net, see my screenshot:

I think the problem is that your installer does not check for the PREVIEW versions of Visual Studio 2017 instances

Telerik team
answered on 20 Apr 2018, 02:57 PM
Hello Oscar,

Do you only have VS 2017 Preview installed? Then yes, you're correct, the installer doesn't iterate over preview installations as we do not officially support beta or prerelease software even though you can use UI for Xamarin from any instance.

UI for Xamarin itself doesn't get installed to Visual Studio directly, rather it gets installed to Windows and is located by default at C:\Program Files (x86)\Progress\Telerik UI for Xamarin R1 2018 and any VS 2017 instance can use it.

As far as the UI for Xamarin VSExtensions go, you can use the VS2017 Preview's Extensions and Updates dialog to install the extensions:

Alternatives

If you don't plan on installing a release version of VS2017, you can workaround this by either using the

- NuGet package (via the Telerik NuGet server (or downloaded pkg file)
- Downloading the ZIP folder (contains all the files that get installed, including demos)

You can find these items on the UI for Xamarin downloads page, here's a screenshot to guide you:

Regards,
Progress Telerik
Oscar
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Apr 2018, 06:54 AM
Thanks a lot for the workaround!
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
François
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by