This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Getting started

14 Answers 256 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
Phil asked on 12 Nov 2008, 01:10 AM

I have created a 'ASP.Net Web Site', named WebORM1 in VS2008.  In the solutions explorer, I have right clicked on the Web site (WebORM1) and way at the bottom, I select OpenAccess and all 4 items are grayed out.  
In the solutions explorer, I have selected the project WebORM1. On the toolbar I select OpenAccess and select 'Launch Telerik ORM Wizard ...'.  The 'Telerik OpenAccess ORM' form launchs.  For Step 1, I click Launch Wizard, and get 'No project selected'.
What am I doing wrong?

14 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
barry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Nov 2008, 11:15 AM
same problem

barry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Nov 2008, 10:01 AM
same issue. i was able to get the produce running by
1.) creating a separate classlibrary solution
2.) selecting framework 3.5 for the classlibrary
3.) running the openaccess wizards within the class library

do not know if this is the correct solution as i am just getting familiar with the produce, but now i can generate code
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Nov 2008, 12:09 AM
I want to do reverse, not forward engineering of ORM.
Accepted
Alfred Ortega
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Nov 2008, 12:33 AM
To get it working I also created the two separate projects but that is a habit anyway.  Here's what I do and it's been working fine for me - your mileage may vary...

1) Create Empty Solution
2) Create Website
3) Create Class Library
4) Enable OpenAccess to the Class Library (can't do it on the website yet anyway) After enabling OpenAccess the little wizard runs that you point to your Database. 
5) NOW open the reverse engineering wizard.
6) Compile library
7) Reference Library from your web application.

At this point the Enable OpenAccess is available on the website.  I had to then enable the website for Open Access otherwise when I tried to create an IObjectScope it wouldn't work although the assembly was in the bin.  This seems to add the entry into the web.config file and then I was able to proceed.
barry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Nov 2008, 04:32 AM
reviewing openaccess has been a frustrating process for me and i am a long way from enlightenment (maybe it is just me).

it would be a great help to post one complete asp.net northwind project   that
1.) has all  the correct settings (i.e. will run out of the box)
2.) shows how to find an object by it primary key
3.) preforms queries and bindings on an object's sub objects collections from 1:n n:m relationships
4.) preforms crud expressions against a grid
5.) shows the extension/inheritance of the generated classes

i am sure that example will start appearing of using openaccess with teleriks controls, which will be great but for the moment code examples for open access are very scarce and that is frustrating.

and one more query where is the persistent data stored (db, viewstate, application?)

thanks
barry

Andreas Kaech
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks, Alfred.
Yes, this information is helpful.
But this should be the task of Telerik to show, how to embed successfully an "OpenAccessdataSource"-Object.
I've nothing read about this.
Jan Blessenohl
Telerik team
answered on 15 Nov 2008, 11:32 AM
Hi Andreas Kaech,

You are absolutely right. We were a little busy with the release but will add those information.

Pls. find 2 posts in my blob showing exactly this.

ASP.NET binding with OpenAccessDataSource

Sincerely yours,
Jan Blessenohl
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Andreas Kaech
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Nov 2008, 12:20 PM
Hi Jan,
Ok, since yesterday (!) there exist a very helpful Blog. Please inform the other people about this with a "sticky" forum post.

Thanks, your blog helps a lot.
Andreas
Barry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Dec 2008, 07:29 PM
I can connect to the database right there in VS2005 Database server. Can some please tell me the format for establishing a connection to a named instance of a MSSQL database. For Server name I think I am suppose to use "Servername\InstanceName,Port" but that doesn't work.
Jan Blessenohl
Telerik team
answered on 03 Dec 2008, 06:15 PM
Hello Barry,

The syntax for specifying the port number is:

servername,portnumber

or

servername\instancename,portnumber

In my case: localhost\sqlexpress:1439 is working fine.

Kind regards,
Jan Blessenohl
the Telerik team

Check out Telerik Trainer, the state of the art learning tool for Telerik products.
Barry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2008, 08:37 PM
I still can't connect to the remote machine. I can connect to my local machine, but I have to use the machine name, not localhost. I was able to clone the table structure to the local database and create the classes. Now I'm trying to use the classes.
Dimitar Kapitanov
Telerik team
answered on 04 Dec 2008, 03:17 PM
Hello Barry,
You should check whether the remote connections are allowed to the server you want to connect.
You can do so from SQL Server Management Studio Express - click on the server instance, open the properties from the context menu, and in the Connections section, check the "Allow remote connections to this server". Tell us whether this solves the problem.

Kind regards,
Dimitar Kapitanov
the Telerik team

Barry
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Dec 2008, 03:47 PM

In the very first post I stated that I could connect using any number of tools from my local machine to this remote server.

I will duplicate those here:

1. Server Explorer in VS-2005
  2. EMS  MS SQL Manager
  3. SQL Server Manager Studio Express
  4. Copy Database for SQL Server Pro

I have used all 4 of these tools today and they all work.

Because you asked I checked... "Allow remote connections to this server" is checked.

I also tried to connect to several remote production databases. They all fail. The only connection I can make is to my local machine.

Barry

Jan Blessenohl
Telerik team
answered on 09 Dec 2008, 01:39 PM
Hi Barry,
We had some turnarounds with a support ticket. I hope that your problems are now fixed with the newest version.

All the best,
Jan Blessenohl
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Phil
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
barry
Top achievements
Rank 1
Phil
Top achievements