This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

First steps...

4 Answers 45 Views
Off-Topic
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
Javier asked on 14 Apr 2014, 02:22 PM
Hello, I would like share with yours my choice about Telerik, appBuilder ,etc....

On one hand, I am working in a project with a specific and dificult features.

To create a web page used Sitefinity of Telerik, I used some widgets to allow to a specific user modify the content of my web page. I have this page created in the localhost of my computer.

On another hand, I have to create an app since my webPage and for do it I am going to use appBuilder. (I would like know if I have to do anything for can use this web site created with sitefninity to can use it.I know that I will have to upload mi web page to a host in Internet )

I was reading about appBuilder all documentation but all is very strange for me.

My idea is  to progress step by step.I thought  this: 

1 step: create an app from a web page.
2 step: create an app from our web page.
3 step: create my app and it has to run without Internet(I will have to save each page of my web site  in a DataBase or in the cache memory of my device )
4 step: allow that my app can update the web pages in this memory o in the DataBase
5 finally allow that when my app connect to Internet for update download the movies and pdfs of my web page too.

Before these steps I would like know somethings.

Does AppBuilder use some frameworks to have more functionalities.Is correct?

These frameworks are:

- Apache Cordova(phonegap)-> It allows use webViews and access to some functionalities of our device
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.2.0/

- Kendo UI->Use it allow improve the interface of the final user

- jQuery Mobile-> Use it allow improve the interface of the final user

Is correct?Can I use all together?

Now,we imagine that we are going to create a project and I have 4 ways:

1 Blank (I think that I can use all frameworks here and I have to start to create the project since zero )
2 AppBuilder friends (I use it when I like create  a validation of user,with private counts to access,etc)
3 jQuery Mobile (It Implements functions of geolocalitation and a good interface)
4 Kendo Ui Mobile (It Implements functions of geolocalitation and a good interface)
5 Kendo Ui DataViz (Good interface.It facilities graphicals)

If somebody can specific me in which case I have to use one of other..

I spanish and is very dificult for me start with this platform.If somebody can say me to some tutorials to start from zero I will apreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sebastian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Apr 2014, 02:39 PM
[quote]Javier said:On another hand, I have to create an app since my webPage and for do it I am going to use appBuilder. (I would like know if I have to do anything for can use this web site created with sitefninity to can use it.I know that I will have to upload mi web page to a host in Internet )
[/quote]
What you described is a Web App.
A web app:
- must be hosted in the Internet,
- runs in a web browser
- a device must be online to access it

AppBuilder is used to create hybrid apps.
A hybrid app:
- is deployed directly to a mobile device
- it doesn't need a web browser. It runs directly on the device
- a device doesn't need to be online to access it. However it will need to be online to access dynamic data/content.

You can get more info on the subject from here:
http://www.telerik.com/whitepapers/appbuilder/approaching-mobile-understanding-the-three-ways-to-build-mobile-apps

[quote]Javier said:Does AppBuilder use some frameworks to have more functionalities.Is correct?

These frameworks are:
- Apache Cordova(phonegap)-> It allows use webViews and access to some functionalities of our device
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/3.2.0/
- Kendo UI->Use it allow improve the interface of the final user
- jQuery Mobile-> Use it allow improve the interface of the final user
[/quote]
Yes AppBuilder uses Apache Cordova, Kendo UI and jQuery. On top of that you can include any JavaScript library to your AppBuilder project.

[quote]Javier said:1 Blank (I think that I can use all frameworks here and I have to start to create the project since zero )
2 AppBuilder friends (I use it when I like create  a validation of user,with private counts to access,etc)
3 jQuery Mobile (It Implements functions of geolocalitation and a good interface)
4 Kendo Ui Mobile (It Implements functions of geolocalitation and a good interface)
5 Kendo Ui DataViz (Good interface.It facilities graphicals)
[/quote]
This are just templates for the projects. What you could do is start with Kendo Ui Mobile template and change it to your needs.

Please note that there is a way to create a Mobile App directly from Sitefinity, which you could edit in AppBuilder. This could save you a lot of time.
This video shows how to do just that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbpLfYRbms

Here you can find a number of sample apps built using AppBuilder:
http://www.telerik.com/appbuilder/sample-apps
You can clone any of the sample apps in the AppBuilder. Just select "Start from sample project" when a new project in AppBuilder.

Given Telerik AppBuilder comes with KendoUI Mobile it might be a good idea to learn how to build apps using Kendo UI.
Here are some useful resources:
http://docs.telerik.com/kendo-ui/tutorials/build-apps-with-kendo-ui-mobile#why-kendo-ui-mobile
http://telerikhelper.net/2012/07/09/video-getting-started-with-kendo-ui-mobile/
Javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Apr 2014, 03:15 PM
Firstly, thanks for answer.

I have other question about your message.

I know that a Web app must have internet conection.

I was thinking in create a hybrid app with the content of my web page keeping in a DataBase in the device the pages to can access to they without Internet. Then create a button in the app and when I click it if the device has Internet conexion update the content in the data base. Is it posible?
Javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Apr 2014, 04:28 PM
I was watching this movie but if I understood ok I can create a app with a module, my app has a lot of modules.It was my surprise when I finished my web page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIbpLfYRbms

So I think that I have to do it with appBuilder directly.

More thanks !
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 17 Apr 2014, 01:20 PM
Hello Javier,

Looking at the information you provided us with I am not entirely sure I understand the overall requirements of the app you need to build. Perhaps if you can share more details about it, we can better advice you how to proceed.

In any case, if you need to develop an application that will be distributed on mobile devices and you want to utilize your html, css and JavaScript skills, then AppBuilder can be a great fit for you. It allows you to create a sample solution from scratch, you can easily take one of the predefined templates earlier discussed in the thread to start and organize your implementation.

Additionally once you build your app in AppBuilder you can test its behavior with different connection types in the device simulator. You can also regularly update your application in the appropriate app stores where it is distributed from thus notifying the app users that there is a newer version.

You can also take advantage of the Backend Services to create the backend for your app in the cloud by storing files and data, managing users and files, and executing business logic.

I hope this information will help you start your implementation.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

Share what you think about AppBuilder and Telerik Platform with us in our feedback portal, so we can become even better!

Tags
Off-Topic
Asked by
Javier
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sebastian
Top achievements
Rank 1
Javier
Top achievements