This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Exception in VS2013 designer with Rad Chart control

11 Answers 56 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Stephan
Top achievements
Rank 2
Stephan asked on 16 Nov 2013, 11:47 AM
Hi Telerik-Team,

quite often, when I click onto the XAML code for the RadCartesianChart the designer shows the following exception:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
InnerException: None

I then need to close that page and reopen it to keep on working. Here is the code for my Chart:
<telerikChart:RadCartesianChart Grid.Row="1" x:Name="ProgressChart">
    <telerikChart:RadCartesianChart.VerticalAxis>
        <telerikChart:LinearAxis Maximum="100"/>
    </telerikChart:RadCartesianChart.VerticalAxis>
    <telerikChart:RadCartesianChart.HorizontalAxis>
        <telerikChart:CategoricalAxis/>
    </telerikChart:RadCartesianChart.HorizontalAxis>
    <telerikChart:AreaSeries Stroke="ForestGreen" StrokeThickness="1" Fill="LimeGreen">
        <telerikChart:AreaSeries.DataPoints>
            <charting:CategoricalDataPoint Value="40"/>
            <charting:CategoricalDataPoint Value="20"/>
            <charting:CategoricalDataPoint Value="40"/>
        </telerikChart:AreaSeries.DataPoints>
    </telerikChart:AreaSeries>
</telerikChart:RadCartesianChart>

I'm using this small piece of code in a rather new project. Lately I went from VS2012 to VS2013 with my much bigger project and I keep getting a lot of (different) exceptions in the designer. So practically all of the time I have to use Blend now to work on the XAML UI. Is there any way to collect some logs from the Telerik Controls in Visual Studio to check whether all of these issues are related to the controls? I've already been collecting VS logs and R# logs but without any errors in there.

Regards,
Stephan

11 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 20 Nov 2013, 07:56 AM
Hello Stephan,

Thanks for writing and for reporting this issue.

I would like to inform you that we are aware of this issue and we have already found the reason for it on our side. We will be issuing an Internal Build containing the fix by the end of this week. The fix will also make it into the official Q3 2013 SP1 release due to by the end of this month.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik
Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
Stephan
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 20 Nov 2013, 09:06 AM
Hi Deyan,

thanks for your update. I'm really looking forward to this fix.

Is the root cause for this issue also related to other designer error messages? For example,

ObjectDisposedException: Cannot access a disposed object.
Object name: 'NativeObject'.

at System.Windows.DependencyObject.MS.Internal.IManagedPeerBase.get_NativeObject()
at MS.Internal.XcpImports.DependencyObject_SetParentForInheritanceContextOnly(DependencyObject doh, DependencyObject parentDO)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(DependencyProperty property, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, ValueOperation operation)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.InvalidateProperty(DependencyProperty property)
at MS.Internal.FrameworkCallbacks.InvalidateProperty(IntPtr nativeTarget, UInt32 propertyId)

and more...

Regards,
Stephan
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 20 Nov 2013, 09:15 AM
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for writing back.

We are currently not aware of the issue with the disposed object. Is it easily reproducible on your side? Could you please describe how we can reproduce it so that we can make sure we address anything that might be wrong in our codebase?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik
Have a suggestion or face a problem - you can use the Ideas & Feedback portal to submit ideas, feedback and vote for them.
Stephan
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Nov 2013, 08:19 AM
Hi Deyan,

Unfortunately, it's not easy to reproduce. It just happens in my bigger project. That's why I'd like to collect some logs from the Telerik controls when working with them in Visual Studio. This way I can check whether those other issues are related to your controls or not. In case they are I can show you some logs (I'm not talking about collecting logs in the WP8 app. I just want logs in Visual Studio).

For now, I will wait for your fixes. Maybe this resolves the other issues, too :)

Regards,
Stephan
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 21 Nov 2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Stephan,

Thanks for writing back.

We will consider this thread closed for now.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik
Stephan
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 21 Nov 2013, 11:49 AM
Hi Deyan,

so there is no way to collect some RadControls logs in order to look out for some exceptions?

Regards,
Stephan
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 22 Nov 2013, 08:27 AM
Hello Stephan,

Thanks for writing back.

No, we do not collect any logs as of now.

Regards,
Deyan
Telerik
Stephan
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 22 Nov 2013, 09:53 AM
Hi Deyan,

thanks for your reply. In the mean time I found a post at http://www.monkeyslaps.com/vs-issue-designer-failing/ that describes the same issue, also having the assumption that it has something todo with the Telerik Controls. I also started adding some controls to my newer/smaller app and now I get those messages regularly on those pages where I added some controls. I'll open a support ticket this evening and will attach my project. Hope this helps in hunting down this issue.

Regards,
Stephan
Deyan
Telerik team
answered on 26 Nov 2013, 03:34 PM

Hi Stephan,

We will suspend this thread for now as you have started a support communication thread with us regarding this topic. We will make sure to repost here any additional information that might be helpful in resolving this case.

Regards,

Deyan
Telerik
Manish
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Aug 2014, 07:30 AM
Hi Deyan

I am still getting this exception. I am using your UI for Windows Phone 8 Q2 2014 controls. Can you please let me know if this is fixed?
Ves
Telerik team
answered on 08 Aug 2014, 12:47 PM
Hi Manish,

Please, open a formal support ticket and send us your project, so that we can investigate the problem. Thank you.

Best regards,
Ves
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Tags
Chart
Asked by
Stephan
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Deyan
Telerik team
Stephan
Top achievements
Rank 2