This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Debug in Android Device with VS 2013

3 Answers 67 Views
AppBuilder extension for Visual Studio
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Alfredo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Alfredo asked on 10 Jun 2015, 07:17 PM

Hi,

I've deployed my app into an USB connected device with Android 4.4.

I would like to debug the app using the built-in Visual Studio 2013 tools, but i can't make it work. I place the breakpoints but they are never reached.

I found some information on this link:

http://docs.telerik.com/platform/appbuilder/debugging-your-code/debugging-on-device/debug-on-android-device

Where it say's:

"On devices running Android 4.4 or a later Android 4.x version or Android 5.0, you can debug applications using the Microsoft Visual Studio built-in debugger in Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 or later"

But i cant really make it work.

Is there some other document that show me how to do it ?

Thank's for your help.

Best Regards.

Alfredo

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Nadya
Telerik team
answered on 12 Jun 2015, 05:51 PM
Hello Alfredo,

I apologize as the documentation article about debugging in Visual Studio Extension is still a work in progress and we will publish it as soon as it is ready. So let me walk you through the process now. I see you have already connected a device.
  1. You need to deploy your AppBuilder application on the device. Please use the AppBuilder menu -> Build {YourProject} and Deploy
  2. Once your application is deployed, from within Visual Studio select the connected device under the Run button drop-down menu.
  3. Hit Run (F5) - this will attach the debugger and your breakpoints will be hit. Keep in mind that if, for example, you have your breakpoint in the deviceReady event, you need to close and open the app again, or live sync in order to hit it. This is due to the fact that the deviceReady event fires before the debugger attaches and you have to reload the app in order to hit the breakpoint.

Also please keep in mind that debugging for Native Script is still unavailable. 

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Regards,
Nadya
Telerik

Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

Alfredo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jun 2015, 03:49 PM

Thank,'s for your answer.

I followed your Step by Step, but it does not work, I'm still not able to debug.

With this cenario i understand that the project is using Native Script.

This leads me to a more simple question. The project is using the Kendo UI, but i guess it is also using Native Scripts. There shold be some confusion here.

Should a project use only the Kendo, or only the Native Script. Or It can use both of them togheter ?

Is there a best practice in this ?

Thank you.

Alfredo

Nadya
Telerik team
answered on 25 Jun 2015, 02:19 PM
Hello Alfredo,

Thank you for coming back to us.

In my previous reply I was talking about debugging hybrid AppBuilder projects (Cordova) inside Visual Studio. Such projects are the ones that can benefit from the usage of Kendo UI. Further, the debugging feature is currently not available for NativeScript applications, so let's remove it from the picture. Also about your question, Cordova and NativeScript cannot be combined.

This said, I am glad to share with you the documentation about Debugging Android With VS Tools. Please have in mind that you have to choose Visual Studio from the section selector in the right top corner. The case we are discussing is in the last paragraph of the page - "To debug on Android devices with the Microsoft Visual Studio debug tools, perform the following steps."

Please let me know if this was helpful,

Regards,
Nadya
Telerik

Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

Tags
AppBuilder extension for Visual Studio
Asked by
Alfredo
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nadya
Telerik team
Alfredo
Top achievements
Rank 1