This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Adding a Test case as step to another test causes Visual Studio2008 to crash everytime

3 Answers 66 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Matthew Knight
Top achievements
Rank 1
Matthew Knight asked on 18 May 2010, 05:20 PM
I have a test case which when run on its own works fine.

However, as its a login test, I want to add it as a step at the beginning of all my other tests. When I do this though and try to run my other tests Visual Studio crashes everytime and closes down. I know its not a problem with the steps in my tests as without the login test case added as a step and logging in in individual steps the tests work fine and complete.

Is there a known issue with adding test cases as steps to other tests? Its crucial that this functionality works for us

Thanks,

Matt

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
answered on 18 May 2010, 07:38 PM
Hello Matthew,

This functionality is indeed widely used and I'm afraid we are not aware of such problems adding test as steps. Does the project build without errors?

Can you please also try that in a new project and let us know if you still get any problems?

Also, do you consider running the just announced Service Pack? We highly recommend it due to the number of major and minor updates.

Greetings,
Konstantin Petkov
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Matthew Knight
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 May 2010, 09:50 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Everything builds correctly.

I have set up a new project and re-done all my steps from scratch. Referencing the login test as a step in another test works fine if the login data is hardcoded into the tests but obviously we dont want to do this.

We have set up a CSV file to pull login data from and it is when we do it this way Visual Studio crashes. The login test on its own runs correctly and pulls data from CSV correct and passes.

Its just when this is added to another test it crashes. I have tried not referencing the CSV in the new test (still referenced in login test) and also referencing the CSV file in the new test. Either way it causes Visual Studio to crash.

Does it sound like I am referencing the CSV incorrectly?

Thanks
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 19 May 2010, 09:26 PM
Hello Matthew Knight,

I just tested your scenario using our SP1 release on VS 2010. It ran fine for me. Which version of VS are you using? Can you zip up your project and send it to us (you may need to open up a support ticket to attach files)?

Best wishes,
Cody
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Matthew Knight
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Konstantin Petkov
Telerik team
Matthew Knight
Top achievements
Rank 1