This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

ZoomScroll on 2011 Q1 is not working ?

7 Answers 136 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
Giuseppe asked on 25 Mar 2011, 04:36 PM
Hi,

I was thinking of purchasing a number of license's of telerik's components to develop a large application where grid's and charts are very important.
Before i do so i was studying your examples in order to understand better how your  components work a thier behaviour.
As i said Chart's are very important and for this i have tried modifing your example in order to have only a few point of series on the chart.

As you can see from the attached screen-shots i have first reduced the number of points in the chartdata.csv in the ZoomScroll project
only to seven point's, this to understand what is the user's (application) result when he select's part of the chart.

I know that It could have been more simple to represent the chart in a bar mode, but the customer must have lines in order to understand at a glance how the series are "moving", just like your example.
OK, here is what i have found and why i am asking you to understand if the results that i see are correct or if i am missing something.?
I have stared always from the base chart view and made a zoom in various parts of the chart. 

I mean base chart "ty1a.png" -> zoom area  "try1b.png" -> resuslt "try1c.png" and so on....

Basically the result is that the user is never obtaining the "area" of the chart that he wanted to zoom to.

Thank you for your attention,
Kind Regards,
Giuseppe

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Mar 2011, 08:26 AM

Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Mar 2011, 03:39 PM
Hi ,

Could you suggest me where the problem could be in order that i can clear my
Purchasing Office Manager and go forward for the order.

Kind Regards,

Giuseppe
Evgenia
Telerik team
answered on 30 Mar 2011, 08:19 PM
Hello Giuseppe,

It is hard for us to determine the cause of the issue from the pictures attached. What I'm seeing is that some of the Dates on the XAxis are repeating even before you zoomed in. Could you open a formal thread and send us a sample runnable project with the changes you made to our demo so that we will be able to investigate it and help you?

All the best,
Evgenia
the Telerik team
Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Mar 2011, 10:24 AM

Hi Evgenia,

Thank you for your reply, but maybe i have not been quite clear enough in explaining my question.

Charts and Grids are Very important for our project and for this we are evaluation your components that could help us in developing our application.

I will try to be more clear and show you what I have done and what results we see.

As I said I have used the latest version of Your source code example that I have download from Your web site.

The matter, as I said, is to understand how the RadChart works when the user is zooming a certain area.

What I would expect is that the user obtains the exact “zoom” of the area that he has highlighted to zoom to.

Well this is experiment that we have done:

1.    Open the Telerik source example code (using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010) and go to the project “Chart.Silverlight”
       then in the folder “DataSources” and finally open the file “chartdata.csv”. ( see the attached
       screenshot TelerikProjectChartData.png )

2.    In this file you will find all the chart information that the Telerik’s Chart example “Zooming and Scrolling” uses 
       when the example is run.

3.   Edit the “chartdata.csv” file and cancel all the lines except the first seven (7). In this way we obtain a more 
      simple chart to test the Telerik’s “Zoom and Scrolling” feature. Save the file compile and run the solution.

4.   Go in the Telerik Chart example and from the menu “Other Chart Examples” select the “Zooming and Scrolling” item.

5.    What you will ten see is the “Try1a.png” screenshot. Four data series with only seven data points.

6.    With the mouse select the area in the Chart like in the screenshot “Try1b.png” that will be Highlighted.

7.    When the mouse is released the Area Select is Zoomed and the result is in the screenshot “Try1c.png”.

Now try the same test procedure from point 4 to 7 using the other screenshot files Try2a the Try2b and finally Try2c and the again with Try3a to Try3b and the result Try3c.

For me it is obvious that the result has nothing to do with what the user has selected.

I mean to say that the user is NOT obtaining what he has selected in the chart.

My questions are : Why we are experiencing this ? What are we doing t wrong ? What must we do to zoom the exact area that is selected ?

Please reply me as soon as possible as my Purchasing Office Manager wants to know what do.

Kind Regards,

Giuseppe

Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Apr 2011, 06:31 PM
Hi Evgenia,

I would appreciate a reply as soon as you can.

Kind Regards
Giuseppe
Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Apr 2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Evgenia,

I would appreciate a reply as soon as you can as our  Purchasing Office Manager  will not wait much more.

Kind Regards
Giuseppe
Evgenia
Telerik team
answered on 05 Apr 2011, 12:42 PM
Hi Giuseppe,

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

The issue you are facing is related to the current implementation of the zooming functionality in RadChart -- when you select chart region with the rectangle, the control determines which data points are within the selection rectangle, filters out the rest, and re-draws the graphic from scratch (applying data sampling if necessary i.e. if the number of remaining data points is above the SamplingSettings.SamplingThreshold value).

Note that RadChart does not try to interpolate values for the points that fall just outside the selected range, and therefore if you select few data points within the rectangle, it will produce the observed behavior on your screenshot - unfortunately this limitation cannot be worked around at the moment but I will forward your feedback to our developers so they can improve on it for one of the next versions of the control.

Kind regards,
Evgenia
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
Chart
Asked by
Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Giuseppe
Top achievements
Rank 1
Evgenia
Telerik team