This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

WhiteScreen Issue in Windows 8 when telerik app loads

2 Answers 86 Views
HTML5, CSS, JavaScript
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Sairaj
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sairaj asked on 03 Aug 2015, 06:45 AM
Hi,
I am working on hybrid application. Recently I am having an issue in WIndows 8, when app is starting,  the splash screen shows for a moment, then it hides and a white screen is displayed for a brief moment before the Keno Mobile UI shows. I have added AutoHideSplashScreen in Windows config.xml but it doesn't work in Windows phone. This configuration is working on Android, perfectly OK.I have upgraded Cordova to 3.7.0 version.
Can you give me any suggestions on how to remove white screen flash as the app starts, it looks unprofessional.

Thanks in advance.
Sairaj

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Sairaj
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 Aug 2015, 07:02 AM

Here's my app workflow and what I have done to remove white screen on Windows Phone :-

1. Added splash screen for all resolutions in properties for Windows Phone.

2. Set <preference name="AutoHideSplashScreen"  value="false" /> in Windows config.xml file.

3. Hide splash screen when deviceready event is invoked.

4. Call my custom splash.html as initial page in kendo.mobile.Application object. In this splash screen, few rest api calls are working like user already logged-in or not, fetching few parameters regarding to initialization of app and getting user location via Google maps api.

Here's code snippet of deviceready event -

01.     document.addEventListener('deviceready', function () { 
03.       navigator.splashscreen.hide();
04.        var feedbackOptions = {
05.                enableShake: true
06.        };
07.        try {
08.            console.log("feedback");
09.            window.analytics.Start();
10.            feedback.initialize(APPFEEDBACK_API_KEY, feedbackOptions);
11.        }
12.        catch(err) {
13.            console.log('Something went wrong:');
14.            console.log(err);
15.        }
17.      app = new kendo.mobile.Application(document.body, {
18.        // comment out the following line to get a UI which matches the look
19.        // and feel of the operating system
20.        skin: 'flat',
21.        // the application needs to know which view to load first
22.        initial: 'views/splash.html'
23.      });
24.    }, false);

Tina Stancheva
Telerik team
answered on 06 Aug 2015, 10:42 AM
Hi Sairaj,

The issues with the SplashScreen on WindowsPhone devices come from the fact that the plugin's logic get executed too late. This is why there is a gap between the moment the native splash image is displayed and the moment the SplashScreen plugin kicks in.

I hope the workflow you described helps ease this behavior a bit on your side. Still, we are currently looking into a solution. We actually proposed a fix in the WindowsPhone Cordova library that addresses this case by triggering the plugin logic earlier. We are awaiting approval from their side and we will also try to change that logic on our WP build servers.

As we will need time to extensively test and approve this change on our servers, I cannot commit to any time frames for a fix. But if this change gets applied, the plugin logic should be triggered earlier and we should be able to workaround the gap in which a white or black screen is displayed.

Regards,
Tina Stancheva
Telerik

Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

Tags
HTML5, CSS, JavaScript
Asked by
Sairaj
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Sairaj
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tina Stancheva
Telerik team