Question 1) You're right you cannot move elements from one page node to another page node. This is by design and if you think about it, you really should not be allowed to do this either. Elements belong to the page they were recorded against and must always stay with that page.
However I have described how you can merge your duplicate page nodes (that you see in your screen shot) in this new KB article. The other thing you can do to merge duplicate pages together is to manually modify the BaseUrl property on the page nodes. Make them the same then click the Refresh button. Pages that are duplicates according to the CompareUrl property value will automatically be merged together along with the elements under it.
Question 2) First we highly recommend always recording your tests against the same test server. If you really must record tests against two different servers you should take advantage of our BaseURL feature. There are two parts to this feature:
- Setting the BaseURL for recording
- Setting the BaseURL to actually use during playback
The recording BaseURL modifies how NavigateTo steps and elements are recorded in Elements Explorer. The setting is controlled in the User Settings from the Project tab:
- On the Project click Show Settings
- Click the Recording Options tab
- In the BaseURL enter the URL of the host you will be recording your test against (e.g. http://qa.testserver_01)
- Click a different property just so that the above change is stored
- Click OK to save your change
Now record your test.
During playback you want to create a test list, place your newly recorded test in it, and modify the BaseURL property for that test list.
- On the Test Lists tab select the test list you want to change the setting for
- Click Edit Settings in the ribbon bar
- Scroll down to BaseURL
- Enter the URL of the host you want the test list to actually use (e.g. http://stage.testserver_02)
- Click OK to save the change
Now when you go to run that test list, it will use the modified BaseURL at runtime instead of the URL it was recorded with.
You can still take advantage of the BaseURL feature on already recorded test. Modify the URL of the NavigateTo steps e.g. from http://myserver.com/default.aspx to ~/default.aspx. Then set the BaseURL of the test list and I previously described.
Question 3) No this is not supported by the tool. At design time you can update the Find Expression for the elements in Elements Explorer. Just right click on an element that needs to be changed and select Edit Element. This will open the Find Expression Builder dialog allowing you to modify it as needed. It even includes a verification feature so you can verify your modifications will find the correct element.
Question 4) This appears to be fixed in our latest internal build, 2010.3.1307. Please give that version a try and let me know if this problem still occurs.
the Telerik team