This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition Not Recognized

5 Answers 489 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1
Carlos asked on 01 May 2019, 03:15 PM

The installer recognizes Visual Studio 2019 Community Edition for other products but not for Testing Framework.

See screenshot.

5 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Elena
Telerik team
answered on 02 May 2019, 03:05 PM
Hi Carlos,

Thank you for contacting us. 

I noticed you currently have a trial license for Test Studio Ultimate along with the Testing Framework license. Therefore, I would like to know which were the current installations when you got the shared screen from installer?

The reason for the above question is that basically the Testing Framework can be used in any edition of Visual Studio - you will be able to add references to the dlls in the unit tests. The missing piece will be the test templates shown here.

And, on the other hand, Test Studio Ultimate requires at least Visual Studio Professional Edition

Having the above notes in mind, I assume that you have successfully installed the Testing Framework only and probably needs some assistance to get started with that one. Please, have a look at this guide, which will probably be helpful for you. Of course, in case of any further questions or doubts, please do not hesitate to contact us again .

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
Test Studio Trainings

Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 May 2019, 11:11 AM

Hello Elena,

Long story short:

Since you mention that Test Studio Ultimate needs the Professional edition is it the case that the Testing Framework does too?

Once difference I will note is that I have Visual Studio 2015 Professional. I am trying Visual Studio 2019 Community edition with
the intent to upgrade to Professional in the near future.

Now to answer your questions:

At the time of the screenshot I had nothing installed. I previously only had the Testing Framework installed but I uninstalled it. I then when through the installer and selected two items just to show the difference that one product recognized that I had Visual Studio 2019 installed while the other (Testing Framework) didn't.

If I continue with the installer only Visual Studio 2015 predictably has Telerik listed under extensions and can be used. That's not the case with 2019.

Accepted
Elena
Telerik team
answered on 03 May 2019, 04:02 PM
Hello Carlos,

Thanks for the additional notes. 

The requirement for minimum edition of the Visual Studio concerns the installation of Test Studio Ultimate, as this is the product which installs a plugin and few extension to be integrated in the VS IDE. On the other hand, the Testing Framework is a free product and is not limited in what type of Visual Studio will be used. 

Having that in mind, the Testing Framework dlls can be added as reference in VS 2019 Community edition as well, and then used in unit tests. However, there will be something missing and these are the templates distributed for the VS professional installation. There are templates for the following types unit tests: 
- MbUnit 
- NUnit
- xUnit
- VS Team Test

Still, the lack of these templates is not affecting the usage of the Testing Framework - the dlls can be still referenced in any testing project, the base test class can be still inherited and thus used in the tests. The templates will ease your experience, but are not mandatory for using the Framework. 

I hope this will be also helpful for you. And, of course, in case of any questions, you can get back to me.

Thank you for your understanding in advance. 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 06 May 2019, 11:11 AM

Thanks Elena.

I don't know if I was doing something wrong or if the recent update to VS 2019 fixed things but it seems to be working now even though the Testing Framework still isn't listed as installed. Weird.

Elena
Telerik team
answered on 08 May 2019, 03:20 PM
Hello Carlos,

Thank you for the feedback - I am pleased to know that you managed to have a working state for the Testing Framework. In case you face any troubles on the topic in the future, please do not hesitate to get back to us. 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Progress Telerik

Test Studio Trainings

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Carlos
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Elena
Telerik team
Carlos
Top achievements