This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2013 crashes at startup because of a NullReferenceException at Telerik.VSX.Helpers.UpdateCheckerBase.CheckLatestVersionValid

2 Answers 161 Views
General Information
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Pascal GUERY
Top achievements
Rank 1
Pascal GUERY asked on 29 Sep 2017, 11:23 AM

Hi everyone,

Visual Studio 2013 sometimes crashes at startup.
I have found the following errors in the Windows application event log :

<System>
        <Provider Name=".NET Runtime" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1026</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-25T08:05:14.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>397216139</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>CLT148.services.c-2-s.info</Computer>
        <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
        <Data>Application: devenv.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.NullReferenceException at Telerik.VSX.Helpers.UpdateCheckerBase.CheckLatestVersionValid(Telerik.VSX.LatestVersionProcessing.ResultOrError`2<Telerik.WebSite.DataContracts.LatestVersionInfo,System.String>) at Telerik.VSX.Web.LatestVersionProcessing.MvcUpdateChecker.VersionAvailabilityGetter_Complete(System.Object, System.EventArgs) at Telerik.VSX.LatestVersionProcessing.BaseMonitoredProcess`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].<DoAsyncJobAndRaiseCompleteEvent>b__0() Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean) at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[]) at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[]) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl() at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue() at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)</Data>
    </EventData>
</Event>

<System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-09-25T08:05:16.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>397216173</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>CLT148.services.c-2-s.info</Computer>
        <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
        <Data>devenv.exe</Data>
        <Data>12.0.30723.0</Data>
        <Data>53cf6f00</Data>
        <Data>KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
        <Data>6.1.7601.23807</Data>
        <Data>5915f98e</Data>
        <Data>e0434352</Data>
        <Data>0000c54f</Data>
        <Data>2608</Data>
        <Data>01d335d4d22dac83</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll</Data>
        <Data>4337e0f8-a1c8-11e7-a9b6-844bf5c0c17c</Data>
    </EventData>
</Event>

Here are the Telerik programs installed on my computer :

• Fiddler v4.6.0.2
  • Telerik JustDecompile Q3 2014 v14.3.1021.0
  • Telerik RadControls for WPF Q3 2013 v13.3.1016.0
  • Telerik UI for WPF Q1 2014 SP1 v14.1.331.0
  • Telerik Control Panel v15.8.1001.0
  • Telerik UI for ASP.NET MVC Q3 2014 v14.3.1119.0

I cannot start Control Panel because my version is too old.
Control Panel invites me to download the newest version.
I wonder if there is a link with the error.

How can I fix the error ?

Thank your in advance for your help

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
answered on 02 Oct 2017, 01:28 PM
Hello Pascal,

Thank you for contacting us.

We were unable to reproduce the issue. In that case I can suggest you to update our Telerik VSExtensions to their latest version. Please follow these steps to do the latter:
  1. Start Visual Studio 2013.
  2. Open Tools -> Extensions and Updates...
  3. Click on the Updates tab.
  4. Find Telerik ASP.NET MVC VSExtensions and click the Update button.
  5. Install the new version by following the installation wizard.
  6. Restart Visual Studio. 
Check if the issue still persists.

Regarding the Telerik Control Panel, since the version you are using is deprecated you'll need to first uninstall the current version from Windows Programs and Features. Then install the latest version, it can be downloaded from here.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Regards,
Nikolay Mishev
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Pascal GUERY
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Oct 2017, 07:46 AM
Thank you for your answer.

I have updated Telerik ASP.NET MVC VSExtensions as explained in your message.
I have restarted my computer and Visual Studio 2013 several times.
The error has not occured.
I guess it has been fixed.
Tags
General Information
Asked by
Pascal GUERY
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Nikolay Mishev
Telerik team
Pascal GUERY