This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Visual Studio 2010 SP 1 Toolbox items not displayed

14 Answers 426 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Karl asked on 06 Jul 2012, 01:39 PM
Hi,
I've installed the latest silverlight controls as of today. When I create a new Telerik Silverlight Application none of the controls appear in the tool box. I've tried uninstalling and installing again and still the same.

I've also tried adding manually but don't want to have to do this everytime I open the project.

I've also tried the toolbox configurator as well.

Thanks

14 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 06 Jul 2012, 04:15 PM
Hi Karl,

I am sorry to hear about the issues you are experiencing.

I suppose that the reason for the missing Toolbox items is wrong Toolbox cache which is created by the Visual Studio. Clearing the cache should resolve the issue. Here are the steps you need to take in order to clean the cache:

1. Close all Visual Studio instances;
  2. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory %localappdata%\Micorosft\VisualStudio\10.0
  3. Make sure that the option 'Show hidden files...' is selected in the Windows Explorer options;
  4. Delete all *.tbd files;
  5. Start Visual Studio As Administrator and use the Toolbox Configurator to set a RadControls distribution in the Toolbox;
  6. Visual Studio should get restarted automatically 
  7. Open existing Silverlight project (or create new one) and check the toolbox content.
I hope this will help.

Best Regards,
VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jul 2012, 07:46 AM
Hi,

I've tried what you have suggested and they still don't appear. I've attached some screen shots

I've deleted the files and after following the rest of your insructiosn these are the files that appeared "VisualStudio_files"

Attached is an image of the toolbox configurator. I clicked on finish and restarted. I then opened my project and they still didn't appear when I as viewing my Silverlight app. I've also tried creating a blank project and still the same.

Thanks

Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 09 Jul 2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Karl,

Which Silverlight version does your project target - Silverlight 4 or Silverlight 5? The distribution set in the Toolbox through the Toolbox Configurator is RadControls for Silverlight 5 (v.XXXX.X.XXX.1050) and if your project targets Silverlight 4, the Toolbox items will not be visible.

If this is the case at your side, you need to select Silverlight 4 distribution (v.XXXX.X.XXX.1040) through the Toolbox Configurator, so that the controls are visible when Silverlight 4 project is opened.

I hope the provided information is helpful. Let me know if this is not the case.

Regards,
VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Jul 2012, 09:53 AM
Hi,
I've set the target as 5,

screen shot  attached.
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 11 Jul 2012, 02:42 PM
Hi Karl,

As I see in the screenshot, your project's target Silverlight version is Silverlight 5. Please, make sure that the currently loaded distribution version in the Toolbox is the same as the version of your project  references. Both the references and the Toolbox should use RadControls for Silverlight 5 distribution. As I already mentioned, Silverlight 4 distributions are versioned *.1040 and Silverlight 5 distributions are versioned *.1050.

You can check the version of the RadControls in the toolbox from the Toolbox Configurator (started from the Telerik menu, then RadControls for Silverlight -> Launch Toolbox Configurator). The current version is displayed on the right side.

Please, let me know if fulfilling these conditions restores the controls in the Toolbox.

Besides, we have identified the WCF Ria Services as a possible cause for the issue. Do you them installed?

Kind regards,

VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team

Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jul 2012, 09:34 AM
Hi,

I have WCF Ria Services installed, I've attached some more screen shots.

I've followed your instructions again and created a new project. But still no luck.

Any other ideas?

Thanks
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 12 Jul 2012, 12:26 PM
Hi Karl,

Thank you for the screenshots.

As I already said, we have identified the WCF Ria Services as a possible cause for missing toolbox items. Could you try removing the "Toolbox" registry keys in the following locations (if present):
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\.NETFramework\v4.0.30319\AssemblyFoldersEx\RIA Services Toolkit Libraries\Toolbox
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
Note: You should omit Wow6432Node from the above paths in case you're running a 32 bit version of Windows.

That has helped some customers resolve issues similar to the ones you are experiencing - missing toolbox items, duplicated toolbox items.

I hope this will help you resolve the issue at your side.

Greetings,
VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team

Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Jul 2012, 02:48 PM
Hi

I had references in the to the following:
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v4.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Silverlight\v5.0\AssemblyFoldersEx\Ria Services v1.0 Silverlight Libraries\Toolbox

But not the 4.0.

I removed these and still the same.

Thanks
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 12 Jul 2012, 03:37 PM
Hi Karl,

I am sorry that this suggestion did not work either.

I have attached a tool developed for removing the Telerik entries in the toolbox and resetting the toolbox cache. Can you try to clean up your toolbox with it?

Here are the steps that may help you:

1. Run the TelerikToolboxCleaner tool I've attached (unzip the tool and run it from the folder)
  2. Select RadControls for Silverlight from Telerik Suite drop down
  3. Click Execute (if you have Visual Studio instances running you will be asked to close them)
  4. Click Yes to the dialog letting you know that the default toolbox settings will be restored (a new instance of Visual Studio will be opened automatically before this dialog appear)
  5. Start Visual Studio manually
  6. Select Telerik->RadControls for Silverlight->Launch Toolbox Configurator
  7. Select the distribution you want to restore and click Finish.

Please, let me know the result.

All the best,
VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team

Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jul 2012, 08:04 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the quick response, still the same. Screen shot attached. Do I need to run that on all other controls ie asp.net ajax etc

Thanks
Aylin
Telerik team
answered on 13 Jul 2012, 01:06 PM
Hi Karl,

It is strange that the provided solutions didn't help. Some of them usually solve all Toolbox problems. Anyway, after having your toolbox cache cleared and reset, I would suggest you to repair the installation. In order to do that, go to Add/Remove Programs, find Telerik RadControls for Silverlight Q2 2012, select it and after that press the "Repair" button on the top. Navigate through the installation wizard, select the Repair option.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
VSXTeam Aylin
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jul 2012, 10:06 AM
Tried repair and still the same, tried creating a new project and no Telerik controls.

Thanks
Heiko
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Jul 2012, 03:21 PM
Same problem here... no toolbox at all. Repair, Reset, ToolboxCleaner - no success. Maybe someone could explain what is happening behind the installation process which is adding items to the toolbox: where are things copied, written to, which files, folders, registry entries are affected etc. ?

Regards
Neils
Petar
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jul 2012, 11:09 AM
Hello guys,

Here are some details regarding the Toolbox registration of the RadControls: First the Toolbox integration is part of the 'Visual Studio Extensions' feature. This means that if you perform custom installation and disable the 'Visual Studio Extensions' feature you won't have Toolbox integration for the RadControls. Another thing to mention is that the 'Visual Studio Extensions' feature doesn't support Visual Studio Express edition.

The Toolbox integration of the RadControls is implemented using the ToolboxControlsInstaller package (Visual Studio built-in package). RadControls are registered under the following registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller which the ToolboxControlsInstaller package uses when loading controls in the Toolbox.

Can you make sure that RadControls are registered under the mentioned key on your side? If no registry entries exist them either repair of the installation or the Toolbox Configurator should add the required entries. If registry entries exist I think that the problem is that the ToolboxControlsInstaller package is corrupted for some reason. To resolve the issue I suggest repairing your Visual Studio installation.

I hope the information provided helps to better understand the Toolbox integration implementation. Since we don't have full control over the Toolbox's behaviour we are not able to handle all possible scenarios thus there are scenarios when our clients experience issues with the Toolbox integration due to some specifics in the setup of their machine.

Kind regards,
Petar
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading Telerik DevCraft Ultimate.

Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Aylin
Telerik team
Karl
Top achievements
Rank 1