Hello Robert Hames,
I understand your frustration with our dependency on Ria Services but on the other hand Ria Services is the easiest way to transfer data to and from Silverlight applications and it is natural to have Ria example in our demos. Ria Services is only required by our demo application - our controls are not tied down with Ria in any way and you are not required to use our controls with Ria Services.
There are two ways to workaround the problem:
- Install our controls on a virtual machine where it is safe to run WCF Ria Services Beta
- Run our online demos instead - you can check the code using our code viewer.
- Modify both GridView.CS and ExamplesWeb projects to remove the code that uses Ria Services.
Here is a list of the changes that should be made to remove all Ria code:
1) ExamplesWeb project
- remove NorthwindDomainService.cs + NorthwindDomainServiceMetaData.cs
- remove all XML "add" elements with name "DomainServiceModule" from Web.config
2) GridView.Cs project
- Delete Silverlight/DomainDataSource folder
Once the changes are done you should be able to compile and run our demos without Ria Services installed.
I hope the information is helpful.
the Telerik team