This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Textbox using Chinese keyboard results in Catastrophic failure 0x8000FFFF

13 Answers 255 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Pinho
Top achievements
Rank 1
Pinho asked on 29 Dec 2010, 03:43 PM
Hi there,

I'm using a simple textbox and I'm trying to use a chinese keyboard and while I'm writing, sooner or later I will get a Catastrophic failure.

I'm writing gibberish because I don't know how to read or write Chinese but I'm afraid this might occur to our Chinese clients.

Here's the full information:

XAML:

<UserControl x:Class="SilverlightApplicationTestingChinese.MainPage"
    mc:Ignorable="d"
    d:DesignHeight="300" d:DesignWidth="400">

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="White">
        <TextBox AcceptsReturn="False" Height="35"></TextBox>
    </Grid>
</UserControl>

Code:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Linq;
using System.Net;
using System.Windows;
using System.Windows.Controls;
using System.Windows.Documents;
using System.Windows.Input;
using System.Windows.Media;
using System.Windows.Media.Animation;
using System.Windows.Shapes;

namespace SilverlightApplicationTestingChinese
{
    public partial class MainPage : UserControl
    {
        public MainPage()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }
    }
}

Keyboard information:

CH (Chinese simplified, PRC) - New experience input style (more attached)

Error:

Code: 4004    
Category: ManagedRuntimeError       
Message: System.Exception: Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))
   at MS.Internal.XcpImports.CheckHResult(UInt32 hr)
   at MS.Internal.XcpImports.Control_Raise(Control control, IManagedPeerBase arguments, Byte nDelegate)
   at System.Windows.Controls.TextBox.OnTextInputUpdate(TextCompositionEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Control.OnTextInputUpdate(Control ctrl, EventArgs e)
   at MS.Internal.JoltHelper.FireEvent(IntPtr unmanagedObj, IntPtr unmanagedObjArgs, Int32 argsTypeIndex, Int32 actualArgsTypeIndex, String eventName)     

If I can add any more information that can help you to help me, please request it.

Regards,

L. Pinho

13 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Deepthi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Jan 2011, 08:08 AM
We are getting the same error for Korean characters too while typing in RadRichTextBox
Iva Toteva
Telerik team
answered on 24 Jan 2011, 09:41 AM
Hi Deepthi,

Unfortunately, RadRichTextBox does not support writing in Chinese, Japanese and Korean currently. We are researching the possibilities of using Input Method Editors in RadRichTextBox, which will enable writing in languages that make use of IME (Input Method Editors). We have a PITS issue where you can vote and track our progress on this feature.
You can follow the PITS Issue by its ID: 4584 
Here you can find the PITS Issue: Public URL
Note that Luis Pinho is actually meeting the same problem with the standard Microsoft TextBox, so these issues are present not only with RadRichTextBox, but with MS TextBox and RichTextBox as well.

Regards,
Iva
the Telerik team
Let us know about your Windows Phone 7 application built with RadControls and we will help you promote it. Learn more>>
Yonggu Kang
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 02:59 PM

Hi, Telerik team,

In my current project, kind of editor such as RichTextBox should be used and I've searched and read related forum threads
regarding troubles to write double byte chracter ,which I'm using Korean.
As for your comment ,
"so these issues are present not only with RadRichTextBox, but with MS TextBox and RichTextBox as well."
I created simple project which contains normal MS richtextbox and telerik's RadRichTextbox as follows;

<Grid x:Name="LayoutRoot" Background="White">
      <RichTextBox HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="24,36,0,0" Name="richTextBox1" VerticalAlignment="Top" Height="88" Width="319" FontWeight="Bold" FontSize="20" />
      <TextBlock Height="23" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="24,12,0,0" Name="textBlock1" Text="MS RichTextbox" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="190" />
      <TextBlock Height="23" HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="24,130,0,0" Name="textBlock2" Text="Telerik" VerticalAlignment="Top" Width="136" />
      <telerik:RadRichTextBox HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="24,149,0,0" Name="radRichTextBox1" VerticalAlignment="Top" Height="104" Width="319" FontSize="20" FontWeight="Bold" />
  </Grid>

There is no problem to write in MS RichTextBox,however,tererik one throws error as soon as start typing, as shown attached image
 file 'errscreen.png'.
However, when I type in telerik editor of SL demo,in which I really needs this editor for my project, no errors but character is broken
as attached image 'telerik editor.png'. I typed same letter as in the errscreen.png and you can compare the broken letter.
On the other hand, when I copy letters from other program such as MS-Word into RadRichTextbox, it shows no problem
as you see in telerik editor.png.
System environment is 
  - VS2010 english
  - windows 7 : korean
  - SL 4 
  - tererik : 2010 Q3 SP1

It would be highly appreciated you can solve this problem .

RGDS
Kang

Yonggu Kang
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 21 Feb 2011, 11:56 AM
Hi, telerik team,

I'm waiting your reply.
Pls don't miss this thread.

TIA
Kang
Pinho
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 21 Feb 2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Kang,

last week I tried one thing, I used another browser Chrome) and guess what, no error...

Can you try that just to check it (for me, it's not a solution because our client only has IE installed in their machines and no other browser can exist).

Regards,

L. Pinho
Yonggu Kang
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 22 Feb 2011, 09:30 AM
Hi, Luis

I downloaded chrome and tried,but no good result.
Though throwing excetion on typing keyboard, letters are not typed correctly
as I did in RadRichtextbox SL Demo.  Pls see attached image.
I think I have to wait untill telerik team meet this problem or have to go with MS one.

TIA
Kang

Yonggu Kang
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 22 Feb 2011, 09:56 AM
Hi, Luis

Pls try with <admin>company name removed</admin> one.
When I type letters in their demo page, all letters are typed correctly except wrong carret position.
They might forget it is double byte.
I think telerik also misunderstand to apply double byte character,.
As I typed letters in demo page,it should wait another byte but shows typed one immediately,
so incomplete letter is shown.

TIA
Kang
Mike
Telerik team
answered on 22 Feb 2011, 10:31 AM
Hi Yong-Gu Kang,

What we meant in out first replay is that to our regret the error in IE is caused by the standard MS TextBox that RadRichTextBox internally uses for text input. You can see this in the stack-trace of the exception you got (indeed there is not a single Telerik method involved). Thus we can do little to prevent this problem.

As previously explained we are planning to introduce support for languages with complex characters like Korean but we are still not able to specify exact timeline. We hope will be able to add this feature in Q1 release or soon after it.

Best wishes,
Mike
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Yonggu Kang
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 23 Feb 2011, 05:45 PM
Hi telerik team,

Thank you for your reply,however,sad news to me that double byte problem will be resolved in Q1 or next release, bcz I have much pressure to apply RichText function in my current project and have to solve anyway soonest.
As I attached images, what the problem to me is typed letter is incomplete,I guess double byte problem,not the catastrophic failure bcz SL demo has no problem to write. I found another free richtextbox control and they don't have any problem to write in. Though I have not deeply dig in what's going on with RadRichTextBox , I think you may catch up faster.

RGDS
Kang
Iva Toteva
Telerik team
answered on 25 Feb 2011, 08:26 AM
Hi Kang,

Thank you for the follow-up and the constructive suggestions. We regret to hear that you have given up on the idea to use RadRichTextBox, but we understand that it is not suitable for your scenario.
Good luck with your project and hope to hear from you again once writing in languages involving complex characters is supported.

Greetings,
Iva
the Telerik team
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
WING CHIU
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Mar 2011, 05:15 AM
Hi Telerik Team,

We have tried the Q1 release of this year, however the same Catastrophic problem happened when IME input is used.
We would like to know whether there is any planned release to fix this problem in the near future.

Thanks.

Eric
na
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Mar 2011, 07:41 AM

I really need RadRichTextBox That support for IME

Enter the address below ime will work fine.

But I'd like to use your product.

Thank you.

Link removed by Admin

Mike
Telerik team
answered on 28 Mar 2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Yong-Gu Kang,

Thank you for this suggestion, we have this feature in our to-do list scheduled for Q2 and helpfully we will be able to introduce it.  You can follow the PITS Issue by its ID: 4584
Here you can find the PITS Issue: http://www.telerik.com/support/pits.aspx#/public/silverlight/4584

In the meanwhile let us know if we can help with anything else.

Greetings,
Mike
the Telerik team
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Pinho
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Deepthi
Top achievements