Telerik Bug in Sql Server 2014 SP1

16 posts, 0 answers
  1. Luis
    Luis avatar
    2 posts

Posted 05 Apr 2016 Link to this post

Hi, I have upgraded my SQL SERVER 2014 to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP1-CU5) (KB3130926) - 12.0.4439.1 (X64) and I am getting the following error where I want to insert a record in the database:

Failed to retrieve the automatically incremented column value from the server.

Possible reason: A trigger does not perform 'select ID from inserted' as last operation.

The Telerik version that I am using is 2015.1.225.1

Thank´s a lot and regards.-

2. Doroteya
    Admin
    Doroteya avatar
    498 posts

Posted 06 Apr 2016 Link to this post

Hi Luis,

A hot fix for Data Access Q1 2015 that tackles with this issue is in the attachment of this forum post.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Doroteya
    Telerik

Check out the latest announcement about Telerik Data Access vNext as a powerful framework able to solve core development problems.
  3. Dave
    Dave avatar
    11 posts

Posted 23 Jul Link to this post

Telerik - as a long term customer across multiple companies, not just the account I am posting from currently - I have always recommended your products but around the Data Access - you have left many of us with in a very precarious situation.

I have implemented the Data Access, previously Open Access product in many legacy solutions and have implemented your patch but Microsoft continues to release updates which break the patch you published.  The latest patch GDR 5203 For SQL Server 2014 (KB3194714) released on 7/17/17 breaks the database libraries once more.

If you discontinued support for it - why have you not open sourced the patch to the community?  Why have you not released the entire project out on GitHub or equivalent?  Telling the users they must migrate systems they have not touched in some instances 2-3 years is not a migration path.  We chose you as a vendor because of your track record.

This places us in a very costly position.

4. Viktor Zhivkov
    Admin
    Viktor Zhivkov avatar
    317 posts

Posted 31 Jul Link to this post

Hello Dave,

Are you experiencing issues with getting back auto-increment primary key values after the update on SQL Server?
    If you do, please let me know what version of Telerik Data Access are you using.

Regards,
    Viktor Zhivkov
    Progress Telerik
    Telerik Data Access is no longer being developed. For more information please refer to this page.
  5. Patrice Boissonneault
    Patrice Boissonneault avatar
    35 posts

Posted 08 Aug Link to this post

What is the latest version of SQL Server supported by Data Access 2015.1.225.1 ?  We are stuck with this version also because we want to stick with the Database first approach.

I also vote for Telerik to open source DataAccess if you can't continue support.  Very frustrated.

6. Viktor Zhivkov
    Admin
    Viktor Zhivkov avatar
    317 posts

Posted 11 Aug Link to this post

Hi Patrice,

At the moment Telerik Data Access supports the latest official version - SQL Server 2016.
    I believe you are more interested in the situation with Service Pack releases as we have version detection issue in 2015.1.225.1 that is surfacing when you are targeting Service Pack versions.
    If this is the case you can replace Telerik.OpenAccess.Runtime.dll in your installation folder with the one found in the attached HotFix zip.
    After applying the hotfix please run the tests outlined in the readme file to verify that the patch is OK.

Regards,
    Viktor Zhivkov
    Progress Telerik
    Telerik Data Access is no longer being developed. For more information please refer to this page.
  7. Patrice Boissonneault
    35 posts

Posted 11 Aug in reply to Viktor Zhivkov Link to this post

Thanks Viktor, so you are saying that we can run SQL Server 2016 (or any other version of SQL) with Telerik 2015.1.225.1-Hotfix version?
  8. Dave
    Dave avatar
    11 posts

Yes the error is the same. I am using the version that the patch fixes.  When I remove the security update and force Windows to not allow it. - the patch works again. 
  9. Viktor Zhivkov
    Admin
    Viktor Zhivkov avatar
    317 posts

Hello,

Yes you can use SQL Server 2016 with Telerik Data Access 2015.1.225.1.
    Without replacing the Runtime assembly with the hotfixed one you are risking failures to get Auto-Increment values after a security or service pack releases from Microsoft.

Regards,
    Viktor Zhivkov
    Progress Telerik
  10. Dave
    Dave avatar
    11 posts

Viktor - I replaced it with the hotfix for Telerik Data Access 2015.1.225.1 - it breaks both the SQL Server 2014 and SQL Server 2016 versions.

Either post the hotfix source code or preferably the Data Access project to GitHub - otherwise we need a fix for latest patch GDR 5203

11. Patrice Boissonneault
    35 posts

I'm currently testing the 2015.1.225.1-HotFix1 version on

"Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-CU2) (KB4013106) - 13.0.4422.0 (X64)   Mar  6 2017 14:18:16   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor)" 

And it's looking promising in here.  We don't get the insert failure anymore.

12. Patrice Boissonneault
    35 posts

I'm currently testing the 2015.1.225.1-HotFix1 version on

"Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1-CU2) (KB4013106) - 13.0.4422.0 (X64)   Mar  6 2017 14:18:16   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Express Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor)" 

And it's looking promising in here.  We don't get the insert failure anymore.

13. Patrice Boissonneault
    35 posts

Posted 11 Aug in reply to Dave Link to this post

Make sure you install on the GAC also and that your csproj are refering to the new hotfix version (we removed reference to nuget package).
  14. Dave
    Dave avatar
    11 posts

Posted 11 Aug in reply to Patrice Boissonneault Link to this post

I have been using this hotfix for 9 months - the Windows Update I posted about came out a few weeks ago.
  15. Dave
    Dave avatar
    11 posts

Posted 12 Aug in reply to Patrice Boissonneault Link to this post

It will break on all workstations - server currently hasn't received the updates which is why it works for you.  Once it does - it will break yours as well.  I am running 2012 server as well and it still works for now on that version but anyone running Windows Pro 10 will have issues.
  16. Viktor Zhivkov
    Admin
    Viktor Zhivkov avatar
    317 posts

Posted 14 Aug Link to this post

Hello Dave,

Can you share the specific versions of MS SQL Server and your OS so I can try to reproduce the issue?
    I need the error messages (ideally with stack trace) as well.

You can get SQL Server version details using the following query:
    select @@version

Regards,
    Viktor Zhivkov
    Progress Telerik