This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

TeamServer 2008 best practices

0 Answers 42 Views
Miscellaneous
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ron Barone
Top achievements
Rank 2
Ron Barone asked on 19 Mar 2010, 01:00 PM
Hello,

I would like to hear a little more about how others use TFS to manage their projects in regards to Iterations and Areas and maybe give some constructive criticism and helpful advice on possible problems with our methods.

To give a background we have several SaaS solutions for US imports that are always updated on a monthly to quarterly basis.  We're a mixed environment with VB6, .NET 2.0 and WPF (.NET 3.5).   We also have a few contract projects that we're keeping separate within TFS.

So-far we've been creating work items tagged with an iteration of "Dev", "QA", "Release" with a few sub-categories for reporting.  These iterations change on the work items as we move from one stage to another.

Our areas are set to the actual or projected release... i.e. Release 2009.1, .2, .3 etc...

During releases we branch our code into the release name and set the iterations on all tickets that are within that release to the appropriate area (QA, Stage, Release etc).

This has worked OK for us, but I believe there may be a better way especially when using the Telerik work item manager.

My quesiton really is are we using iterations and areas the way they were meant to be used?

No answers yet. Maybe you can help?

Tags
Miscellaneous
Asked by
Ron Barone
Top achievements
Rank 2
Share this question
or