This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Silverlight Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 Compatibility

1 Answer 33 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
dcassas
Top achievements
Rank 1
dcassas asked on 19 Dec 2009, 08:23 PM

I am sure you “guys” are up to ears while running the Visual Studio 2010 gauntlet.  The only thing you can be sure of is that it will all certainly change just as soon as you finish your development cycle.  But what else is new, your business has a lot to do with living on technology’s “bleeding-edge”.  Myself, like many other developers, see that Microsoft is putting a lot of their efforts into Silverlight versus WPF and want to move development to Visual Studio 2010 for the enhanced development environment. 

I am very impressed, as always, with your Silverlight controls and demos.  About a week ago I started downloading the various Telerik Silverlight trial versions to see what would work with Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2.  This includes installing, RadControls_for_Silverlight_2009_3_1208_TRIAL.msi and the latest update: RadControls_for_Silverlight_2009_3_1211_Trial.zip, as well as all the Silverlight demo solutions.

I have read through all the Telerik Silverlight blogs that I can find regarding Visual Studio 2010 Beta 2 and I am still confused as what will work and what won’t.

I tried converting the Telerik Visual Studio 2008 solutions to Visual Studio 2010, including the RadControls for Silverlight Q3 2009 SP1 demos, but after working through the error and warning lists, I wasn’t convinced that I could make any of them work.  My questions and comments are:

1.       Can you provide a matrix of which controls will work with which version of Visual Studio?

2.       Since you are advertising “Visual Studio 2010 Ready”, I assume you have converted many of your demos to Visual Studio 2010 solutions.  If this is true, why not provide a separate download for Visual Studio 2010 demos/examples solutions?

3.       Also, one other nit.  It would really be nice if you included a ReadMe file with your downloads – specifying any relevant installation instructions. 

Thanks for all your great work.  I am sure your Silverlight controls will be big success and a significant revenue source for your company.

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 23 Dec 2009, 01:16 PM
Hello dcassas,

First of all thank you for your interest in our Silverlight suit and thank you for the good words. Now to your question.
Our Silverlight 3 suit is fully compatible with Visual Studio 2010. The conversion that is made when loading our demos solution is due to the fact that our building machines are still building the installations for VS2008 and we decided that this small one time conversion is no reason to make two different installations for VS2008 and VS2010.
About the errors you are getting with building the demos solution I believe they are caused by missing or different version of .Net RIA Services as we are using it in some of our examples. You need to download this version in order for the examples to build and run properly. Probably you will get some warnings as well, however they should not bother you as some of them are for obsolete properties or related to a .xml containing data for examples and they will not affect your work.

If you have further questions or problems with our demo application continue, please feel free to contact us, we will be glad to help you.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
dcassas
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Boyan
Telerik team
Share this question
or