This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Silverlight 5

6 Answers 261 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Vuyiswa
Top achievements
Rank 2
Vuyiswa asked on 06 Apr 2011, 11:57 AM
Hi Guys

I have been using different thirdparty controls in the past, like Infragistics, DevExpress, ComponentUI, ComponentOne  , must i have never seen good support and always working controls like Telerik Controls. Especially on the Silverlight side. i say you rock.

Now Silverlight 5 is on its way , i hope you all have seen this video from Scott

http://channel9.msdn.com/Series/Silverlight-Firestarter/Silverlight-Firestarter-2010-Keynote-with-Scott-Guthrie

what are your plans ?

I am excited to see what you guys have for us.

Keep up the good work you are doing. i see in this Video Scot talked about you guys.

Thanks

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Accepted
Rossen Hristov
Telerik team
answered on 07 Apr 2011, 03:07 PM
Hello Vuyiswa Maseko,

We will definitely start adding Silverlight 5-specific features once the platform is released.

Until then, we strongly believe that our current Silverlight assemblies will work normally with the upcoming Beta.

Regards,
Ross
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Vuyiswa
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 08 Apr 2011, 05:51 AM
Thank you for your asnwer
Ken
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Apr 2011, 11:09 PM
I just installed SL5 beta and after changing my project from SL4 to SL5 all of the Telerik assembly references were
instantly broken.

No problem:  I just readded them.

I did a compile and all was fine.

Then I tried to run I received a XAML parse exception from one of my pages:

The invocation of the constructor on type 'Telerik.Windows.Controls.RadGridView' that matches the specified binding constraints threw an exception. [Line: 100 Position: 69]

This is what is sitting at Line 100:
<telerik:RadGridView ShowGroupPanel="False" SelectionUnit="Cell"
CanUserSelect="False" CanUserReorderColumns="False">
    <telerik:RadGridView.Columns>
        <telerik:GridViewColumn Header="Property"/>
        <telerik:GridViewColumn Header="Value"/>
        <telerik:GridViewColumn Header="Operator"/>
    </telerik:RadGridView.Columns>
</telerik:RadGridView>

I also have a global style defined for RadGridView:
<Style TargetType="telerik:RadGridView">
    <Setter Property="IsReadOnly" Value="True"/>
    <Setter Property="EnableColumnVirtualization" Value="True"/>
    <Setter Property="EnableRowVirtualization" Value="True"/>
    <Setter Property="AutoGenerateColumns" Value="False"/>
    <Setter Property="DataLoadMode" Value="Synchronous"/>
    <Setter Property="GridLinesVisibility" Value="None"/>
    <Setter Property="AlternationCount" Value="2"/>
    <Setter Property="SelectionMode" Value="Multiple"/>
    <Setter Property="SelectionUnit" Value="FullRow"/>
    <Setter Property="RowDetailsVisibilityMode" Value="Collapsed"/>
    <Setter Property="RowIndicatorVisibility" Value="Collapsed"/>
    <Setter Property="CanUserFreezeColumns" Value="False"/>
</Style>
Vuyiswa
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 14 Apr 2011, 05:56 AM
i think it is a bad idea to start working on silverlight 5 before it has been officially released. Just play around with it, but not on your real projects.
Yordanka
Telerik team
answered on 14 Apr 2011, 12:17 PM
Hello Ken,

Most probably you have missed to add reference to the assembly System.Windows.Data.

All the best,
Yordanka
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Ken
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Apr 2011, 01:05 PM
Vuyiswa, you are absolutely right in that.  I was  working with a backup of my current project to see how the new features of SL5 would work with Telerik.  One of the biggest things we have hated about SL is that the save file dialog does NOT let you preset the filename.

We have logic where we show the files of our system in a Grid from which you can do Download commands to transfer them to the client PC.  It has seemed absolutely stupid that someone would select a file to save and then have to type in the name of that file.

Thankfully this is now fixed with SL5 along with many other wonderful surprises like the ability to give full trust in-browser ...  This gives
us a much cleaner way of offering functionality without having to rely on signed ActiveX controls anymore.  (ActiveX UI components are just hideous when combined with the beauty from Silverlight/Telerik).

Yordanka, you are absolutely right.  I screwed something up in the switchover.  I should have just used the Telerik tool to take care of the assemblies for me rather than doing it by hand.  I _did_ miss something.

At this point I am able to use the latest internal build (01219RadControls_for_Silverlight_4_2011_1_0411_DEV_hotfix) with SL5Beta
just fine.

Thank you both.

-Ken
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Vuyiswa
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Rossen Hristov
Telerik team