This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

How to prevent copy paste of text in a generated RadPDF File after it is downloaded by a user?

7 Answers 157 Views
PdfProcessing
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
darren
Top achievements
Rank 1
darren asked on 26 Nov 2020, 08:46 AM

Hi,

I am asking a question regarding the processing of PDF. I am generating a PDF using RadFixedDocument through asp.net mvc. I want to prevent users from copying my contents in PDF. I have added in watermark on my document but users are still able to copy and paste text in the pdf to a text document. I tried to look for related materials in the listed Telerik resources but to no avail.

https://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-mvc/pdfprocessing
https://docs.telerik.com/devtools/document-processing/libraries/radpdfprocessing/overview

How am I able to prevent users who download my PDF from copy pasting the content inside the pdf to another document? 

Thanks in advance.

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Martin
Telerik team
answered on 27 Nov 2020, 07:58 AM

Hi Darren,

With the current version of the PdfProcessing library, the option I can suggest is to export the document pages as images and to keep the original document on your side in order to not lose all the document data. For more information and examples you can check the Export RadFixedPage to image knowledge base article.

According to the PDF specification, there is a functionality named Owner passwords that handles such kinds of permissions on export but it is currently not supported by the PdfProcessing library. We have an item logged to provide such functionality: PdfProcessing: Provide API for setting different permissions when exporting encrypted PDF document. You can cast your vote for the implementation as well as subscribe to the task by clicking the Follow button, so you can receive updates when its status changes.

Regards,
Martin
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

darren
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Nov 2020, 08:41 AM

Hi Martin, Thanks for the response and example given. May I know based on your the first example which you recommended. I am having difficulty interpreting the code shared in the example you have shared. Is there any sample code which I can follow to convert each page in the document and be able to send it back as a File result from the controller method that I have written below?

[HttpGet]
        public virtual ActionResult DownloadPDF()
        {
            try
            {

PdfFormatProvider formatProvider = new PdfFormatProvider();

byte[] renderedBytes = null;
                using (MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream())
                {
                    RadFixedDocument document = new RadFixedDocument();
                    RadFixedDocumentEditor editor = new RadFixedDocumentEditor(document);

Table table = new Table();
                    Border border = new Border();
                    table.DefaultCellProperties.Borders = new TableCellBorders(border, border, border, border);
                    table.DefaultCellProperties.Padding = new Thickness(2);

// Testing purposes for 1000 data
                    //for (int i = 1; i <= 10000; i++)
                    //{
                    //    TableRow currentRow = table.Rows.AddTableRow();
                    //    AddCellToRow(currentRow, $"testtesttest{i}");

//}

table.LayoutType = Telerik.Windows.Documents.Fixed.Model.Editing.Flow.TableLayoutType.FixedWidth;
                    editor.InsertTable(table);

int pageCount = 0;
                    int totalPageCount = document.Pages.Count();

foreach (RadFixedPage page in document.Pages)
                    {
                        pageCount++;
                        string currentPage = pageCount + " of " + totalPageCount;
                        AddWatermarkText(page, watermarkText, 100, currentPage);
                    }

PdfExportSettings settings = new PdfExportSettings();

settings.IsEncrypted = true;
                    settings.UserPassword = "abcd12345678";
                    settings.ImageQuality = ImageQuality.Medium;

formatProvider.ExportSettings = settings;

formatProvider.Export(document, ms);

renderedBytes = ms.ToArray();

}

return File(renderedBytes, "application/pdf", fileName);

}
            catch (Exception ex)
            {
                LogAdaptor.Error(ex);
                throw ex;
            }
        }

Martin
Telerik team
answered on 30 Nov 2020, 02:02 PM

Hi Darren,

After created (or imported the desired document) you can create a new RadFixedDocument, iterate the original document's pages, convert them as images using the ThumbnailFactory (check Exporting Fixed Page to Image help topic), and add the images as new page content. Check the following code snippet:

RadFixedDocument originalDocument = OpenOrCreateRadFixedDocument();

RadFixedDocument newDocument = new RadFixedDocument();

ThumbnailFactory factory = new ThumbnailFactory();

PageCollection originalPages = originalDocument.Pages;
foreach (RadFixedPage originalPage in originalPages)
{
	Image image = new Image();

ImageSource imageSource = factory.CreateThumbnail(originalPage, originalPage.Size);
	image.Source = imageSource;

Grid container = new Grid();
	container.Background = Brushes.White;
	container.Children.Add(image);
	container.Measure(new Size(double.PositiveInfinity, double.PositiveInfinity));
	container.Arrange(new Rect(new Point(0, 0), container.DesiredSize));

RenderTargetBitmap bitmap =
		new RenderTargetBitmap((int)PageLayoutHelper.GetActualWidth(originalPage), (int)PageLayoutHelper.GetActualHeight(originalPage), 96, 96, PixelFormats.Pbgra32);
	bitmap.Render(container);

RadFixedPage newPage = new RadFixedPage();
	newPage.Content.AddImage(new Telerik.Windows.Documents.Fixed.Model.Resources.ImageSource(bitmap));
	newDocument.Pages.Add(newPage);
}

ExportDocument(newDocument);

So, in your scenario, you can execute this code snipped before the export of the document:

// ExpecuteCodeSnippet

formatProvider.Export(newDocument, ms);

In order to demonstrate what exactly I am testing, I am attaching a sample console application.

Regards,
Martin
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

estanislao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Dec 2020, 01:53 AM

Hi Martin,

ThumbnailFactory is under what category here. I cannot find it in the assembly using my license. I attached the screenshot. Thanks.

Martin
Telerik team
answered on 01 Dec 2020, 03:27 PM

Hello Estanislao,

The ThumbnailFactory class is part of the Telerik.Windows.Controls.FixedDocumentViewers assembly which in turn is part of the RadPdfViewer control form the UI for WPF suite.

I saw you have a DevCraft Complete license, so you can download it from your Telerik account by selecting Progress Telerik UI for WPF product title:

And you can find the binary file in this archive:

Regards,
Martin
Progress Telerik

estanislao
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 03 Dec 2020, 06:28 AM

Hi,

Can you tell us what dll or namespace under theses object:

Image image = new Image();

Grid container = new Grid();

Thanks!

Martin
Telerik team
answered on 03 Dec 2020, 08:16 AM

Hello Estanislao,

Both classes (Image and Grid) are part of the System.Windows.Controls namespace from the PresentationFramework assembly:

System.Windows.Controls.Image = new System.Windows.Controls.Image();

System.Windows.Controls.Grid container = new System.Windows.Controls.Grid();

Regards,
Martin
Progress Telerik

Tags
PdfProcessing
Asked by
darren
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Martin
Telerik team
darren
Top achievements
Rank 1