This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Online examples are horrible, any documentation Q3 2011?

3 Answers 52 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rob Ainscough asked on 17 Jan 2012, 07:20 PM
I've tried to use the online example code and find it VERY difficult to follow considering it's supposed to be a sample.  Way too many "referenced" items that I have lookup and go back and forth.  If you're doing a sample set most folks aren't going to like being buried in many nested layers of references, they want to see a simple ALL ON ONE PAGE code layout ... sure, for "real world" programming your code setup maybe fine, but for folks just trying to learn your Chart control your samples are NOT a good way to teach.

I've tried to look for Q3 2011 documentation on my local hard drive and see nothing, just the Q2 2011 SP1. ??

Is there some help file that will go over each and every feature of the Chart controls?

Rob

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vladimir Milev
Telerik team
answered on 23 Jan 2012, 09:40 AM
Hello Rob,

You raise a valid point in that our online examples are not very simple. They were not designed with a tutorial purpose in mind, but rather as a showcase of what is possible with our components. There is indeed a need for what you describe - a simple one page layout style example and this need cannot be compensated through documentation. I assure you we are aware of this and are looking for ways to provide such examples for you in the future.

It is already too late to include this for Q1, however, we will do our best to schedule this initiative for Q2 release. For the time being I suggest you use the forums whenever you seek advice on how best to approach a certain problem with our controls. We sincerely apologize for this inconvenience.

Greetings,
Vladimir Milev
the Telerik team

Explore the entire Telerik portfolio by downloading the Ultimate Collection trial package. Get it now >>

Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Jan 2012, 05:50 PM
Thank you for the response.

Sadly I've abandoned trying to figure out the RadChart and have used the Microsoft toolkit Chart -- without really good concrete samples I had no choice as development time schedules don't permit a lot of R&D for 3rd party controls.  Perhaps my perspective is unique as I feel that 3rd party controls should reduce my development time (not increase it) ... I like simple control properties I can set and it "just work", I don't like have to override everything and/or code templates.

Rob
Avrohom Yisroel
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Feb 2012, 05:21 PM
I'd like to add my vote to this. I've had a need to do some charting, and have spent hours trying to work out how to use your controls. They are extremely complex, and the docs are hopeless for learning.

This actually applies to a lot of your controls, and not just the Silverlight suite. You desperately need better tutorials and explanations. It would also cut down on the number of support calls you get from people like me who can't work out how to do something that should be in the docs.
Tags
Chart
Asked by
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vladimir Milev
Telerik team
Rob Ainscough
Top achievements
Rank 1