This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Maximum 200 categories for x axis?

4 Answers 81 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jeremy
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jeremy asked on 21 May 2010, 07:37 AM
Hi

I've just been experimenting with charting random data from the Adventureworks database and running into problems displaying a 2D Bar chart with over 1000 categories. It seems to hit a hard limit of 200. Selecting just the top 200 categories (or more) the Y-axis labels are not loaded and neither are the data points, at the top 199 (or less) everything appears as expected.

While I agree this is a very good idea, as the chart looks way too crowded, I need to know if this is a hardcoded limit as our implementation of the Telerik charts allows users to run their own SQL queries - which means they could try running anything not even vaguely suited to charting. Also, Is it the same for all chart types?

This is the SQL I am using to generate excessive categories:
Select c.FirstName, Count(c.FirstName) As names
From AdventureWorks.Person.Contact c
Group By c.FirstName

Kind Regards,
Jeremy

4 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Ves
Telerik team
answered on 26 May 2010, 12:20 PM
Hi Jeremy Camplin,

Actually, this limitation has been removed. You can download the latest internal build from your account and give it a try -- you should not experience such issues. As for the crowded X axis -- RadChart offers some features, dedicated to solving such problems:
  • LabelStep -- the chart will skip some of the labels along the X axis. Well, this does not seem to suit well for categories, as each and every one is meaningful and unique.
  • StepLabel -- controlled by the StepLabelLevelCount and StepLabelLevelHeight. This will arrange the X axis item labels at several levels
  • RotationAngle -- the labels will be rotated to avoid overlapping.

Best regards,
Ves
the Telerik team

Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items.
Jeremy
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Aug 2010, 07:34 AM
Hi

Do I just replace the dlls in my bin folder with the ones from the internal build download? I tried 00730RadControls_for_Silverlight_3_2010_2_0806_DEV and no change. When will this limitation be removed in the production version?

Kind Regards,
Jeremy
Accepted
Ves
Telerik team
answered on 16 Aug 2010, 08:24 AM
Hello Jeremy,

It seems I have not provided an important piece of information here -- by default RadChart groups several datapoints into one item, where there are lots of points in the chart. You can find more details in this help topic. When grouping items in this manner, the information for the categories cannot be preserved, so the chart simply shows numbers. However, this can be disabled by setting the RadChart1.SamplingSettings.SamplingThreshold property to 0. This will allow the chart to display all the points with their categories.

Upgrading - simply copying the binaries to the Bin folder would not be enough. You need to store them in a safe place (usually this is the installation folder) and update the project references to point to the new assemblies.

Best regards,
Ves
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Jeremy
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Aug 2010, 08:33 AM
Changing the sampling settings works. Thanks!
Tags
Chart
Asked by
Jeremy
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Ves
Telerik team
Jeremy
Top achievements
Rank 1