This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Improving Performance

8 Answers 77 Views
Chart
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Stuart asked on 14 Feb 2011, 04:00 PM
Hi

I have a fairly simple xaml bound line chart with over three thousand data points - when I leave the sampling set to its default settings the chart renders in 4 - 5s but when I turn sampling off (desired) it takes a good 20s or so to appear. Is there anything I can do about this? Comparatively, using our old technique, we use to generate this same chart within an asp.net page using Chart Director and it used to appear in under a second.

Thanks

8 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Feb 2011, 12:17 PM
I've got to say that I've even after just trying to use your 'performance' tips such as the AddRangeObservableCollection suggestion - the line chart still takes over 30s to draw three thousand points or so. My conclusion is that if you have any (even slightly) complicated charts with more than 10 data points or so you're best off avoiding the Telerik component and instead using something else - it's just not fit for purpose.
Sia
Telerik team
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 12:33 PM
Hello Stuart,

We are really sorry to hear that you are disappointed of our RadChart control. Can you please tell us what series definition you use in your application. If it is a line series, please try to use it in its fast mode, which means with collapsed point marks and labels.

The best possible option is to send us a sample project if possible, because we did not manage to reproduce such slow performance with our local tests.

Thank you in advance,
Sia
the Telerik team
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks. Happy to try 'fast mode' - how do I enable that or otherwise turn off these things?

Also happy to send you a test project - do you have a 'drop box' or other for these kind of things?
Sia
Telerik team
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 01:06 PM
Hi Stuart,

I can suggest you to open a support thread if your issue is urgent so that you can get response from us in 24 hours. Regarding the possible performance improvements as you pointed below please check if it is improved when you change the visibility of the PointMarks and Labels to be collapsed.

Regards,
Sia
the Telerik team
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks although I've already been to this page - my xaml chart already has showitemlabels and showpointmarks set to false so I'm guessing that I'm already using the 'fast' mode.

Let me know if you want to test my project.
Sia
Telerik team
answered on 17 Feb 2011, 03:10 PM
Hello Stuart,

Of course we will investigate what causes your problems in your application. Please make an archive and attach it to this forum thread or open a new support one.

Greetings,
Sia
the Telerik team
Bryce
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Feb 2011, 12:34 AM
Any progress on this?  I'm having the same issue of horrible performance with a line series and hundreds of data points.  I've abandoned the Telerik chart for ComponentOne and have far better performance rendering the chart, but I would prefer not to have to buy another controls package.  I've turned off all animations and item labels.
Sia
Telerik team
answered on 02 Mar 2011, 05:02 PM
Hello Bryce,

Can you please also send us a sample project so that we can give you some advice on improving the RadChart performance?

Sia
Registration for Q1 2011 What’s New Webinar Week is now open. Mark your calendar for the week starting March 21st and book your seat for a walk through all the exciting stuff we ship with the new release!
Tags
Chart
Asked by
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Stuart
Top achievements
Rank 1
Sia
Telerik team