This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Grid Export to Excel/Word 2007

15 Answers 357 Views
GridView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Vijay Srinivasan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Vijay Srinivasan asked on 25 Nov 2009, 01:02 PM
We are using "RadControls for Silverlight Q2 2009" to display results in radgridview.

1. Is there a way to export grids content in excel/word 2007 format?. If I try to save the exported content into a .xlsx file, excel is not able to recognize the format.
2. Is there a way to export grids content to PDF?

Vijay S

15 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 26 Nov 2009, 09:25 AM
Hi,

Currently the grid can be exported to HTML, CSV and ExcelML only - we don't have native Excel/Word 2007 format export or PDF export. You can open all three formats in Excel 2007 however you will get warning for HTML format on open.

All the best,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jun 2010, 12:22 AM
Hi,

Is there a way to export to excel 2007 (extension xlsx) ?

I know you said no earlier, but i was wondering if it's been added since the last post :-)

Thanks
Lauren
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jun 2010, 06:33 AM
Hi Lauren,

Unfortunately we still don't have native Excel 2007 export however since we have now native docx support for our editor we will do our best to provide Excel 2007 export for RadGridView by the end of the year. 

All the best,
Vlad
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Aug 2010, 03:27 PM
In case it makes a difference to your prioritization, I would like to make sure you are hearing that this is a very important feature.

The Silverlight RadGridView advertises Excel/Word/CSV export support, but the current Excel export falls short of expectations.  The expectation is that the export should work similar to the Reporting Excel export (meaning that upon clicking the export button the user is presented with a choice of "Open" or "Save" of the exported file).  Instead, the SL grid Excel export doesn't even support the creation of a true binary Excel file, and the only option is to save the file.  Upon trying to open the file, the user is then presented with warning messages, due to mismatch format (ExcelML).

Please try and expedite this feature enhancement, and post back on this thread when you have more information about the expected release date.
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 09 Aug 2010, 07:04 AM
Hello,

Generally "Open" or "Save" dialogs will be displayed from your browser when you download something from the server. The grid will export completely client-side - no server round trips! You will get format warning only if you export to HTML - Excel will not display any warning if you use ExcelML and set XML extension for the exported file - you can check our demo for more info. 

Regards,
Vlad
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Aug 2010, 01:04 PM
Vlad,

There is another posting in the Telerik forums that recognizes the problem with the HTML export.  The posting from Telerik (Daniel) explains that the HTML format will cause a warning in Excel 2007, and suggests an alternative 3rd party library (NPOI).  I have tried this library, but this has some limitations as well.

http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/aspnet-ajax/grid/excel-export-the-file-you-are-trying-to-open-filename-is-in-a-different-format-than-specified-by-the-file-extension.aspx

Here is the link to the Microsoft blog that explains why using the HTML format with the XLS extension causes the warning.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vsofficedeveloper/archive/2008/03/11/excel-2007-extension-warning.aspx

With regard to the Open/Save option, I had not considered the ramification of the SL client-side implementation not prompting to Open.  Is this something the RadGrid development team might give some thought to, since it involves an extra step for the end-user to save off the file, and then navigate to the file in windows explorer to open in Excel?

Perhaps it would be useful to integrate this with a Telerik SL Excel viewer, such as the MS Word viewer that you have already produced:
http://demos.telerik.com/silverlight/#RichTextBox/MSWord

Mike
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Aug 2010, 10:13 PM
Vlad,

I didn't see a response to this, so I'm following up just to confirm that Telerik recognizes that there is more that can be done to improve the Excel export feature, and that it is a priority.

If you agree that there is work to be done to produce a better export, I'm looking to get an update on where this resides on your roadmap, or otherwise would like to make it available for a voting issue in the Public issue tracking forum.  How do I get this issue to appear on that list?

Mike
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 16 Aug 2010, 06:59 AM
Hi,

I still believe that Open/Save are browser dialogs and you cannot invoke them from Silverlight (excluding ugly hacks). We have plans for native (XLSX) export however this will be completely new platform wide component (outside of RadGridView) however this will be available most provably in the middle of 2011. 

Kind regards,
Vlad
the Telerik team
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Public Issue Tracking system and vote to affect the priority of the items
Sri Harsha
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 28 Apr 2011, 10:36 AM
Hello,

Please share your ideas if you have come across a way to prompt OPEN dialog box after export to excel operation.

Cheers  
Harsha
Ryan
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 15 Jun 2011, 06:48 PM
Hi, I wanted to follow since its mid 2011, and see what the status on the Excel export functionality is?

Thanks
Vlad
Telerik team
answered on 16 Jun 2011, 06:37 AM
Hi,

The Excel 2007 exporting will be part most probably of RadDocument format providers similar to PDF export and will be available later this year - we cannot share however any exact  release date.

Greetings,
Vlad
the Telerik team
Marc
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Dec 2011, 06:20 PM
Is there an update on this? Exporting large excel files to html is not efficient.
Valérie
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 07 Feb 2012, 07:57 PM
Any updates on this ? 
Michael Hilgers
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Jul 2014, 08:14 AM
Hello Telerik,

i'm bringing this topic back to life: What's the status of the Excel 2007 (xlsx) export?

We need this urgent because customers want to export data which has more than 65,536 rows to excel.

Please give us a feedback about this. Thanks.

Regards,
Michael
Dimitrina
Telerik team
answered on 17 Jul 2014, 11:09 AM
Hi Michael,

To find the newest option we have introduced as to exporting to Excel, you can check our demo on exporting/printing with RadSpreadProcessing. You can also refer to its documentation.

Regards,
Didie
Telerik

Check out Telerik Analytics, the service which allows developers to discover app usage patterns, analyze user data, log exceptions, solve problems and profile application performance at run time. Watch the videos and start improving your app based on facts, not hunches.

Tags
GridView
Asked by
Vijay Srinivasan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Vlad
Telerik team
Lauren
Top achievements
Rank 1