This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Firewall block on Windows Server 2012

1 Answer 483 Views
Windows
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Brendan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Brendan asked on 01 Mar 2018, 05:53 PM

I have installed FIDDLER on a Windows 1012 Server on a corporate network with very rigid Firewall rules. When I run Fiddler I receive this error:

06:43:53:2458 Fiddler Running... 
06:43:53:2771 Fiddler.Network.AutoProxy> AutoProxy Detection failed. 
06:43:53:2771 AutoProxy failed. Disabling for this network. 
06:44:34:8166 fiddler.network.readresponse.failure> Session #2 raised exception An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host 

I suspect Firewall rules. I need to submit a Firewall Change Request to allow exceptions for Fiddler to operate on that server, but I need details from Fiddler Tech Support. Can you please identify the external targets / requirements which Fiddler will try to reach out to? (We need to set our Firewall to allow Fiddler to function)

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Simeon
Telerik team
answered on 07 Mar 2018, 03:44 PM
Hello,

Fiddler gets the initial system proxy settings on startup. Then Fiddler sets the system proxy settings to point to Fiddler. The default behavior of Fiddler is using the initial system proxy settings, it has read, in order to send the captured requests to this proxy, if any. I.e. Fiddler becomes the system proxy and the initial system proxy becomes the proxy of Fiddler.

However, you could modify the Fiddler's proxy from the Gateway tab of Tools\Options...

In your case it seems that the initial system proxy settings are set to use the WPAD protocol for proxy auto-discovery. However, if for some reason the protocol fails, Fiddler falls back and tries to send the request without using a proxy.

I hope that this information is useful to you.

Regards,
Simeon
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Tags
Windows
Asked by
Brendan
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Simeon
Telerik team
Share this question
or