This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Drag-and-drop between two Silverlight-applications

1 Answer 45 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Mikael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Mikael asked on 23 Aug 2009, 09:15 PM
Hi!

I am thinking of using Telerik's Silverlight-controls to implement Sharepoint webparts.
One common scenario will be to allow users to drag-and-drop between two webparts. Since the most natural way would be to implement each webpart as a separate Silverlight-application, my question is: Is it possible to implement drag-and-drop between two different Silverlight-applications? I've seen lots of examples of drag-and-drop, but only when the controls live in the same app.

Another way to implement the webparts would be to have one single application, which would be full-screen, but that seems like a rather unnatural way to do it. Any thoughts about this would be highly appreaciated.

Thanks
/Fredrik

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Miroslav
Telerik team
answered on 26 Aug 2009, 08:41 AM
Hi Fredrik,

There is no easy way to implement DragDrop between Silverlight applications and I am not sure if there is an acceptable solution at all.

On solution may involve passing data and continuing mouse events between applications. This will require a lot of hacking around the local connection (directly between plugins) and the Html bridge (+JavaScript). This may be very fragile and hard to test and maintain.

If you go for the single Silverlight application, then you will still have problems with the mouse events because any Html overlay will capture them. Also here you will not be able to have popups above the Html content, so the DragCue, any menus and DropDowns would not work as expected.

In short, even if you manage to implement a kind of drag-drop between Silverlight applications then this will possibly be "hacky" and fragile. Unfortunately I cannot think of any solution that I can recommend.

Sincerely yours,
Miroslav
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Mikael
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Miroslav
Telerik team
Share this question
or