This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Database Deployment Toolkit

1 Answer 63 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Olivier
Top achievements
Rank 2
Olivier asked on 16 Nov 2014, 11:19 AM
Hello,
I use a tool StrataFrame appears to be unique, I have not seen a similar thing.

https://www.strataframe.net/databasedeployment.aspx

I want to use telerik data access and I saw there was a way to update from a scheme to database if the fields in a table is modified.

But I lack the features that I had in StrataFrame and let me know if there is such a tool, because strata is not updated yet and I do not want to be blocked for future versions of Visual studio.

When I change a table I can put default values in each field.

I can also manage indexes, relationships, views and stored procedures.

Everything is stored in an xml file or sql server to update the database in production at the customer or the company.

It is very convenient to maintain the existing database.

Is what it was in telerik? where can I find it elsewhere but maintained?

thank you

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Doroteya
Telerik team
answered on 19 Nov 2014, 09:02 AM
Hello Olivier,

Thank you for your interest in Telerik Data Access.

Indeed, Telerik Data Access offers design-time tools that support the Model - First scenario, where you can create and edit tables, modify their members, and setup relationships between the tables. The so defined conceptual model is stored in a special XML file - the .rlinq file, and through a part of our API this model can be integrated in your own custom tool that will deploy the database. To get a little bit of hands on experience with the product, you can take a look at the Getting Started section in our documentation. 

Regarding the management of indexes, views and stored procedures, our tools have a few limitations there:
- The customization of indexes in available only for the code-only mapping approach (the model is defined through code, without visual tools);
- In both the model-first and the round-trip scenarios our tools do not create views. However, if the database already has views, you can create mapping for them in the model through the tools.
- The same as the latter applies for stored procedures - if they exist in the database you can consume them through the model, but you cannot create your own stored procedures and migrate them to the database. The exception here is when you map the CUD operations for a given entity to stored procedures.

When it comes to the support, Telerik Data Access is and will continue to be both a free tool and a part of the DevCraft packages with releases three times a year, which includes new features and bug fixes.

As for the special tool dedicated to the deployment of databases, currently Telerik does not offer a One-To-One analogue of StrataFrame.

If you find this feasible, do let us know if you need further information or assistance during the process.

Regards,
Doroteya
Telerik

OpenAccess ORM is now Telerik Data Access. For more information on the new names, please, check out the Telerik Product Map.

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Olivier
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Doroteya
Telerik team
Share this question
or