Posted 26 Oct 2011
Link to this post
I am using the gridview in a silverlight application. The gridview is going to be used in almost every page. So I am looking for a generic control/ component/ template that will let me specify the imformation about the columns in the gridview and it will automatically create the gridview.
1) In my "Address View", the grid columns should be "Name", "telephone", "address", "Country"
2) In my "Orders View" the grid columns should be " Name", "order id", "Product name", "Order Date"
3) In my "Delivery details view", the grid columns will be "Name", "Product name", "Delivery address", "Date of delivery".
Each column in every grid also has some metadata for example
1) The "Name" column is a text column ( wherever it appears )
2) "Date" column should be a calendar lookup column
3) Country column should be a "Country" lookup
4) A column can be readonly or editable
5)Columns can have a default value for entering new data
For a small number of grids it makes sence to add the columns in Xaml for each grid. But for an application that uses more than 50 gridviews, it would be good to have a solution that generates the gridview automatically from the metadata supplied.
Do you have any cutomizable libraries/ template selectors etc that achieve such a functionality ?