Can’t see the contents of HTTP Tunnel to port 443

1 Answer 4845 Views
Fiddler Classic
Russell
Top achievements
Rank 1
Russell asked on 21 Mar 2018, 07:37 PM

Hi,

I have HTTPS Decryption enabled and I have gone through all the steps to have my iOS device proxy through my PC INCLUDING trusting the fiddler CA cert from General>About. I know the Decryption I’d working because I can see the contents of other HTTPS requests in my session list. If it helps, I suspect that the traffic I’m attempting to inspect is an HTTP upgrade handshake for a web socket connection.

on other threads it seems like people are describing the same issue I’m having but the solutions are always: “enable HTTPS Decryption” or “regenerate your certificate” or “regenerate your private keys” but I do not think these are the solutions because I have tried all of them except the private key regeneration one and I am able to see the decrypted results of other HTTPS requests. 

thank you

Alexander
Telerik team
commented on 27 Mar 2018, 08:10 AM

Hi,

Do you see the "Tunnel To" "xxx.xxx:443" session? Also, does the app/website work properly when the traffic is going through Fiddler?

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Russell
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 27 Mar 2018, 01:37 PM

Yes and yes. 
Alexander
Telerik team
commented on 29 Mar 2018, 03:26 PM

Hi,

If you are trying to inspect a WS upgrade request then it should be following the "Tunnel To" session (assuming that there is no other traffic it should be the next one). It can be easily recognized by the WebSocket logo/icon in front of the session.

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Russell
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 04 Apr 2018, 01:47 AM

Following the "Tunnel to" session, none of the subsequent sessions have the WebSocket symbol and none of them are going to the socket's url even though I have no filters enabled.

Russell

1 Answer, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Alexander
Telerik team
answered on 05 Apr 2018, 04:03 PM
Hi,

In order to be sure that Fiddler is not hiding the session you can go to Help -> Troubleshoot. This will enable "Filter troubleshooting", which will show all sessions and those which would be normally hidden will be shown with strike-through font.

On the other hand, some apps use the so called "Certificate pinning". However, when we've seen such apps they refuse to work with Fiddler and does not load at all. In your case it works, so it seems that this is not the problem.

Another thought - when you inspect the tunnel session there will be presented information about the HTTPS handshake. You can check it, maybe the answer could be there.

Regards,
Alexander
Progress Telerik
Tags
Fiddler Classic
Asked by
Russell
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Alexander
Telerik team
Share this question
or