This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Can't add Silverlight controls to Visual Studio 2008

12 Answers 280 Views
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Robert Hames
Top achievements
Rank 1
Robert Hames asked on 16 Dec 2009, 08:10 PM
I am trying to build my first RadContol Silverlight app, and I'm using Visual Studio 2008. I have your Q3 SP1 code, and have SP1 for Visual Studio loaded as well.

I followed the instructions here http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/installation-adding-to-vs-2008-toolbox.html to add the Telerik Silverlight controls to Visual Studio 2008, and when I click on Ok on the Choose Toolbox Items dialog box, I am left with the new tab showing no controls underneath it. In addition, if I close the toolbox, and open it back up, the new tab is gone.

But, if I right-click on the tool-box, and click on show all, it then shows my new tab with all the controls I selected, but they are disabled. If I right-click again, and turn show all off, my new tab disappears along with the added controls.

When I created the project, I selected framework 3.5, and I have a reference in my project to the Telerik controls dll.

Any ideas?

12 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 17 Dec 2009, 12:51 PM
Hi Robert Hames,

Sometimes toolbox tabs and items are hidden if they cannot be used in the current opened document. For example, if you have opened a .cs file in Visual Studio you will not be able to see most of the toolbox items since you are not able to drop any of them on the .cs file. 

Could you please try to open a XAML file and check if the tabs and all the items that you have added to it are shown?

Hope this helps.

Sincerely yours,
Milan
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Robert Hames
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Dec 2009, 02:46 PM
I was editing a .xaml file when I was trying to add the controls. I went back and edited a .xaml file, and the controls still do not show. The only way I can make the controls show is to right-click on the toolbox, and click on show all. The tab and the controls show then, but the controls are disabled.

If I turn off show all, then the tab and the controls disappear. I have a picture of what it looks like, but I can't figure out how to paste it in here.
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 11:15 AM

Hello Robert Hames,

Well, that is very strange. Usually the tabs are hidden when the items in them cannot be used in the current context of Visual Studio. We tried to reproduce the problem but without any luck and I am pretty much our of ideas. Could you please try to reset the Visual Studio toolbox?

Another idea that comes to my mind is to double check that you are indeed working with a Silverlight application and not a WPF one. In your first message you have mentioned that you have selected ".net framework 3.5". Are you referring to the Target Framework setting of the project's properties window?

Sincerely yours,
Milan
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Robert Hames
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Dec 2009, 03:22 PM
I have reinstalled both the Silverlight 3.0 SDK, the Silverlight 3.0 toolkit for Visual Studio, and your controls with the same results. I am working with a Silverlight 3.0 application, not a WPF one. I was referring to the fact that I had targeted the 3.5 framework within Visual Studio 2008.

I have replied to your answer on my support ticket, and have included screenshots of the results.
Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 21 Dec 2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Robert Hames,

I have answered you at your other thread and send you a video.

Best wishes,
Boyan
the Telerik team

Amry Hanitijo
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 19 Jan 2010, 09:10 AM
Hi,

I am facing the same problem Telerik Rad controls tool box does not show up.

How to enable this. I am using Windows 7, VS 2008 and Telerik Silverlight 2009 Q3 SP 2.

Regards
Milan
Telerik team
answered on 19 Jan 2010, 09:25 AM
Hello Amry Hanitijo,

Our Silverlight controls are not automatically added to the VS 2008 toolbox but you can easily add them by hand. This help topic as a guide can guide you through the process.

Once the controls are added to the toolbox you will be able to drop then on the XAML text editor but not on the design surface since VS 2008 does not support this feature.

Best wishes,
Milan
the Telerik team

Brian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 12 Feb 2010, 09:12 PM
Hi I'm having the same problem as Amry and Robert...

I'm running VS2008 with Silverlight 3.0.  I originally started with an ASP.NET web application and have added a Silverlight application to the solution.  I followed the guide at http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/installation-adding-to-vs-2008-toolbox.html and can view all of the controls in the tab, but they remain grayed-out (I cannot drag them into the xaml text editor).

I can add all of the Silverlight XAML controls (from the silverlight toolkit) but no Telerik controls...I have also ensured that I have proper references...Also all of the icons in the tab that I created (RadControls for Silverlight) are the same
Robert Hames
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Feb 2010, 04:20 PM
The automatic installation doesn't work. You need to uninstall the RadControls, and remove the files from the directories. The uninstall does not remove the files. Then, you need to download the manual installation .zip file, and extract it into the same directory that the automatic install put everything in.

Then, after opening a project, and a .xaml file, right-click on the toolbox, and click on add tab. After adding the tab, then right-click again, and click on choose items. When the window opens (it could take a few minutes), click on the silverlight tab, and then click on browse. Browse to the directory where you unzipped the files, and go to the binaries/silverlight directory, and choose the appropriate .dlls.

After it returns to the window, click on ok, and the controls should show up in the new tab.

Hope this helps!
Brian
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 17 Feb 2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks a lot for the reply Robert - that fixed my problem

Have a good one

Brian
Sivas
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Dec 2010, 12:01 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to use the Telerik "Rad Controls for Silverlight 4 2010 Q3" with Visual Studio 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5.

The question is, is this possible? I know people have used "RadControls for Silverlight 3" with Visual Studio 2008, but I want to use "RadControls for Silverlight 4".

I have tried to install it on Visual Studio 2008, but when I try to add the control DLLs to my toolbox, it failed with an error (See attachment).

Can anyone confirm if this is possible or not?

Thanks

Boyan
Telerik team
answered on 10 Dec 2010, 09:54 AM
Hello Sivas,

VS2008 cannot be used for Silverlight 4 development. You can check the requirements for both SL3 and 4 here:
http://www.telerik.com/help/silverlight/installation-system-requirements.html.  This is not a limitation from Telerik but from the platform.

Let me know if you need more info.

Kind regards,
Boyan
the Telerik team
Browse the videos here>> to help you get started with RadControls for Silverlight
Tags
Installer and Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Robert Hames
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Milan
Telerik team
Robert Hames
Top achievements
Rank 1