Can no longer load http images from Cloudinary on iOS after upgrading to Cordova 4.0.0

Thread is closed for posting
3 posts, 1 answers
  1. Artie
    Artie avatar
    29 posts
    Member since:
    May 2015

    Posted 09 Mar 2016 Link to this post

    Our application serves up images from Cloudinary, the URLs for which are stored in a database.  All of these images point to  We recently upgraded our project to Cordova 4.0.0 in order to be prepared for the Play Store changes as well as try to resolve some issues for which we do not yet have root causes.

    One unexpected problem we ran into is that on iOS, the application no longer honored any requests to http:// URLs.  We were loading in a Google font which we easily fixed with an https:// prefix, but the Cloudinary images are a bit more troublesome as the URLs have all been stored in the database with an http:// prefix (we have thousands of these).  Our config.xml file has had this line in since the beginning of this project:

    <access origin="*" />

    This setting apparently has any effect on this issue.  After doing some research I wondered if perhaps I could address this issue with a Content Security Policy meta header, but this created all kinds of other issues including some problems within the Kendo framework itself trying to load some kind of internal XSLT file.  Something else that doesn't make much sense is that it looks like the 4.0.0 version of Cordova as displayed in AppBuilder is version 3.8.0 for iOS, and on version 3.8.0 the application works just fine.  I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.  Re-writing the Cloudinary URLs dynamically is not an ideal solution, as the version of our app deployed in the wild is still saving and serving up the http:// version of these URLs.

  2. Artie
    Artie avatar
    29 posts
    Member since:
    May 2015

    Posted 09 Mar 2016 Link to this post

    A friend of mine with experience on native iOS apps pointed me here:

    Adding this to my Info.plist file allowed the images to load correctly:


    I still don't fully understand why this broke when going from Cordova 3.8.0 to 4.0.0 (iOS 3.8.0?), when deployed to the exact same device but this is at least how I managed to solve the issue.

  3. Answer
    Kaloyan avatar
    878 posts

    Posted 14 Mar 2016 Link to this post

    Hello Artie,

    I am happy to see that you have found a solution to the issue.

    The reason why the problem occurs in the Cordova 4.0 set and not in the Cordova 3.8 set in AppBuilder is that, the Cordova 3.8 set uses iOS SDK 8.4 and Cordova 4.0 - iOS SDK 9. This and the fact that Apple applied their policy about HTTP traffic in iOS 9, the limitation is not present for Cordova 3.7 and 3.8 in AppBuilder.

    I hope this helps.


    Visit the Telerik Verified Plugins Marketplace and get the custom Cordova plugin you need, already tweaked to work seamlessly with AppBuilder.

Back to Top