This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Android permissions

3 Answers 61 Views
Feedback & Suggestions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Roland Rosenbecher
Top achievements
Rank 1
Roland Rosenbecher asked on 02 Jan 2013, 01:17 PM
Dear Icenium Team!

I need to know if there's a way to set ALL the available permissions on Android devices. I very-very need WAKE_LOCK permission, but it's not in your list (properties->Android->Permissions). Is there a way to edit the manifest file manually?

Anyway I use Graphite, and I think it's a good beginning of something great!

Best regards: Roland Rosenbecher

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Evgeni "Zammy" Petrov
Telerik team
answered on 02 Jan 2013, 04:35 PM
Hi Roland,

Thank you for checking out Icenium.

We have not added all possible permissions because we did not want to give unnecessary options to you (our users).  All the permissions from Cordova starting project are included and they should cover all supported APIs. Can you share with us your use case for this permission?

Unfortunately we do not have a safe way to add it in the current version of Icenium - 1.1. We can add it for our next release. If you need to to release an app I can make you a build myself with that permission added to unblock you.

Regards,
Evgeni "Zammy" Petrov
the Telerik team

Share feedback and vote for features on our Feedback Portal.
Want some Kendo UI online training - head over to Pluralsight.
Roland Rosenbecher
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 02 Jan 2013, 04:59 PM
Dear Zammy!

Thanks for your reply. My problem is the following:

I made a Java app earlier that monitors some softwares on our servers, and I'd like to change it to HTML5. The app calls web services in every minute, and gets the states of some processes on the servers. If something special event occurs, the monitoring app gets information about it, plays an alarm sound and displays some important information coming from the web services.

But if I click the power button on my phone (or tablet) to save power and make the screen black, without WAKE_LOCK permission the application is suspended. That's why I need WAKE_LOCK so much.

Maybe it can be made with apktool to make the package with Icenium, decompile it with apktool, edit the manifest file and recompile it. I haven't tried it yet, just searched the net to resolve the problem above. Another way, if I make the HTML5 part of the software with Icenium, and make a small Java app with only a browser control in it, and give the WAKE_LOCK permission to the Java app, but it would be much harder to handle the versions and sources...

Thanks for your help and information, maybe I write to you later for that special build. If you have any other idea how could I make it myself, please, inform me.

Best regards,

Roland Rosenbecher
Evgeni "Zammy" Petrov
Telerik team
answered on 03 Jan 2013, 01:24 PM
Hi Roland,

Yes, you can use apktool to decompile and include the permission. This will definitely work.

Another option is to wait for our next release which will be pretty soon or just tell me if you want a build to test. :)

Regards,
Evgeni "Zammy" Petrov
the Telerik team

Share feedback and vote for features on our Feedback Portal.
Want some Kendo UI online training - head over to Pluralsight.
Tags
Feedback & Suggestions
Asked by
Roland Rosenbecher
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Evgeni "Zammy" Petrov
Telerik team
Roland Rosenbecher
Top achievements
Rank 1