This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Help with LINQ SELECT Statements

3 Answers 70 Views
LINQ (LINQ specific questions)
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
This question is locked. New answers and comments are not allowed.
Scott
Top achievements
Rank 1
Scott asked on 04 Oct 2011, 08:47 PM
Hello:

I have a problem I am trying to solve, been pulling my hair out for quite some time. My issue is that I am trying to create a distinct list of users, based on their security permissions, as they relate to information provided on a web form.

A user enters some information into a form (basically a list of departments).

I then need to return a list of users that have access to each of the departments.

My code looks like this so far:

dim details = (Form p in db.Details select p.deptID Distinct)

dim singers = (from p in db.Users join ds in db.deptSecurities on p.UserID queals ds.UserID where details.contains(ds.deptID), select p.UserID Distinct)

This returns me a list users that have access to at least 1 of the departments in details, but I need to return a list of users that has permission to all departments in details.

Can this be done easily?

Thanks!

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Thomas
Telerik team
answered on 05 Oct 2011, 08:02 PM
Hello Scott,

Please turn the first query into a list first:

dim details = (Form p in db.Details select p.deptID Distinct).ToList();

dim singers = (from p in db.Users join ds in db.deptSecurities on p.UserID equals ds.UserID where details.Contains(ds.deptID) select p.UserID Distinct)

Kind regards,
Thomas
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's SQL Server Community Awards. We are competing in TWO categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Scott
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 Oct 2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks Thomas, unfortunately this returns the same results as without the .ToList()

Here is an Example.

Let's say the list of departmentID is:  {10, 15, 35}

I have a table with the following columns:  UserID, deptID.

I need to get a list of users from the above table for only users that have all of the departmentID's in the first dataset. The current code returns all users, that have at least 1 of the departments.
Thomas
Telerik team
answered on 06 Oct 2011, 06:29 PM
Hello Scott,

that is currently not possible, and my hair got more gray with this too; I still have it :-) .
I believe at the moment the only option is to generate the LINQ tree dynamically:

01.    [TestMethod]
02.    public void AllByParam()
03.    {
04.        IList<int> details = (new int[] { 81929, 81677, 81678 }).ToList();
05.        //var q = from x in Scope.Extent<City>() where details.All(z => x.Zips.Contains(z)) select x;
06.        //var r = q.ToList();
07.        //Assert.AreEqual(1, r.Count);
08.        var q2 = Scope.Extent<City>().AllPresent(j => j.Zips, details);
09.        Assert.AreEqual(1, q2.ToList().Count);
10.    }
11.}
12.public static class CollectionExtensions
13.{
14.    public static IQueryable<TSource> AllPresent<TSource, TKey, Z>(this IQueryable<TSource> source, Expression<Func<TSource, TKey>> keySelector, ICollection<Z> elems)
15.                                    where TKey : ICollection<Z>
16.    {
17.        Expression cond = null;
18.        foreach (var z in elems)
19.        {
20.            if (z != null)
21.            {
22.                Expression c = Expression.Call(keySelector.Body, typeof(ICollection<Z>).GetMethod("Contains"), Expression.Constant(z));
23.                if (cond == null)
24.                    cond = c;
25.                else
26.                    cond = Expression.AndAlso(cond, c);
27.            }
28.        }
29.        if (cond != null)
30.        {
31.            Expression<Func<TSource, bool>> lambda = Expression.Lambda<Func<TSource, bool>>(cond, keySelector.Parameters);
32.            source = source.Where(lambda);
33.        }
34.        return source;
35.    }
36.}

I think line 5-7 contain the right LINQ, but this is currently not implemented, and a manual generation of the test is needed as shown above.

All the best,
Thomas
the Telerik team

Thank you for being the most amazing .NET community! Your unfailing support is what helps us charge forward! We'd appreciate your vote for Telerik in this year's SQL Server Community Awards. We are competing in TWO categories and every vote counts! VOTE for Telerik NOW >>

Tags
LINQ (LINQ specific questions)
Asked by
Scott
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Thomas
Telerik team
Scott
Top achievements
Rank 1