This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Applying themes to core silverlight controls

3 Answers 107 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jon Bergquist
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jon Bergquist asked on 18 Dec 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi - I've finally managed to figure out how to apply your themes to Telerik controls but it does not affect the other controls on my page.  I'm using a combination of controls from SL framework, SL toolkit, the free AGDatagrid, and Telerik.  How do I achieve a consistent theme across all these controls or is that even possible?  I know the SL toolkit uses the ISM to apply themes.  I'm assuming that won't work for Telerik controls?  I would really like to apply their ShinyBlue theme to all my controls.

Thanks

Jon

3 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Neil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 May 2009, 02:59 PM

I'm in exactly the same position. My application is built around the standard controls and I have used the Toolkit's theming. I'm now substituting controls when I need the additional power or features, ie. the combobox, but this doesn't use the default combobox theme applied by the toolkit theming mechanism.

I realise from looking at other posts that I could use Telerik's theming mechanism but would then have to explicitly style each standard control. The number of these over the number of Telerik controls used makes this a none option. I much prefer the type driven theming of the Toolkit.

I expect that myself and Jon are not the only ones to be in the situation of using multiple control providers and if anyone has an idea of how to apply a common theming practice across all these controls I'd be very appreciative of the help also.

Cheers, Neil

Nikolay
Telerik team
answered on 04 May 2009, 02:57 PM
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your question.

Unfortunately, there no easy way around this problem at this time. We will definitely think of either styling all the default controls with our themes or vice versa - providing an equal theme as one of the available themes for the default Silverlight Toolkit controls. We realize that this will be really beneficial for users like you, and we will surely work in this direction for the next Q2 release. I am afraid that we cannot promise to deliver such a theme with Q2 as we already started working on other major tasks. Nevertheless, if we do not manage to include such a theme in the Q2 release, we will be working on this task right after that.

Kind regards,
Nick
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Check out the tips for optimizing your support resource searches.
Neil
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 05 May 2009, 08:26 AM
Nick, Thanks for taking the time to reply it is much appreciated. I look forward to what you guys come up with, and understand that it may not be in the next release.

Jon, Sorry for hijacking your question. Hope you found the answer useful.

Thanks, Neil.
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jon Bergquist
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Neil
Top achievements
Rank 1
Nikolay