IE 11 browser blank and System.TimeoutException

7 posts, 0 answers
  1. Vincent
    Vincent avatar
    8 posts
    Member since:
    Mar 2017

    Posted 06 Jul Link to this post

    I am trying to follow a simple example to get IE11 automation working on a windows 7 box. I get a browser window open with about:blank in the URL and System.TimeoutException after a while.

    The code works on my local developer machine but does not work on a remote desktop with a basic windows 7 64-bit install.

    I have configured the browser, uninstalled and reinstalled Test Framework (Testing_Framework_2017_2_0530_1_Free.msi). Tried building x86, x64, Any CPU in both debug and release.

     

    Again, this works on my local machine but not the remote machine. Are there pre-requisites I am unaware of? The only thing I install is the Test Framework.

     

    Any help would be very much appreciated.

  2. Vincent
    Vincent avatar
    8 posts
    Member since:
    Mar 2017

    Posted 06 Jul in reply to Vincent Link to this post

    My Code

     

    using ArtOfTest.WebAii.Core;
    using ArtOfTest.WebAii.ObjectModel;
    using System;
     
    namespace testTelerik
    {
        class Program
        {
            static void Main(string[] args)
            {
                Console.WriteLine("Start");
                // Initialize the settings
                Settings mySettings = new Settings();
                mySettings.LogAnnotations = true;
                mySettings.Web.EnableScriptLogging = true;
     
                // Set the default browser
                mySettings.Web.DefaultBrowser = BrowserType.InternetExplorer;
     
     
                // Create the manager object
                Manager myManager = new Manager(mySettings);
                String error;
                Console.WriteLine("Configuring browser");
     
                myManager.ConfigureBrowser(BrowserType.InternetExplorer, out error);
     
                Console.WriteLine(error);
     
                // Start the manager
                myManager.Start();
     
                Console.WriteLine("LaunchNewBrowser");
                // Launch a new browser instance. [This will launch an IE instance given the setting above]
                myManager.LaunchNewBrowser();
                Console.WriteLine("NavigateTo");
                // Navigate to a certain web page
                myManager.ActiveBrowser.NavigateTo("http://www.google.com");
     
                Console.WriteLine("ByTagIndex");
                // Perform your automation actions.
                Element mybtn = myManager.ActiveBrowser.Find.ByTagIndex("input", 3);
                myManager.ActiveBrowser.Actions.Click(mybtn);
     
                Console.WriteLine("Dispose");
                // Shut-down the manager and do all clean-up
                myManager.Dispose();
            }
        }
    }


  3. Vincent
    Vincent avatar
    8 posts
    Member since:
    Mar 2017

    Posted 06 Jul in reply to Vincent Link to this post

    Chrome DOES work!
  4. Vincent
    Vincent avatar
    8 posts
    Member since:
    Mar 2017

    Posted 06 Jul in reply to Vincent Link to this post

    Chrome works!
  5. Elena Tsvetkova
    Admin
    Elena Tsvetkova avatar
    604 posts

    Posted 11 Jul Link to this post

    Hello Vincent,

    Thank you for sharing details about the issue you have faced. 

    It seems that the remote machine does not have Visual Studio installed and your developers machine does. Therefore IE is not working on that machine.

    To resolve this misbehavior you could install Team Explorer 2013 from the MSDN site. Please note that this download is only available for signed in users with a Microsoft account. 

    This is an issue we have investigated in depth and quite soon - within our next planned release - a fix will be introduced and additional installations will not be required. 

    I hope the above information would be helpful for you. Thank you for your understanding! 

    Regards,
    Elena Tsvetkova
    Progress Telerik
     
    Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
    Test Studio Trainings
     
  6. Vincent
    Vincent avatar
    8 posts
    Member since:
    Mar 2017

    Posted 11 Jul in reply to Elena Tsvetkova Link to this post

    Thanks for getting back to me Elena.

    I've managed to work around the IE problem by installing microsoft.mshtml.dll to the GAC by using gacutil.exe. So far it seems to work and allows us to automate the process for our CI builds.

    Kind Regards,

    Vincent

  7. Elena Tsvetkova
    Admin
    Elena Tsvetkova avatar
    604 posts

    Posted 11 Jul Link to this post

    Hi Vincent,

    Thanks for getting back to me. 

    This is the other workaround which is a bit more complex for part of our users which are not familiar with coding at all. Though I am glad to know you resolved the issue on your end. 

    As I have mentioned in one of my replies to your posts recently - this behavior will be fixed with our next release and none of the above will be required. 

    Thank you once again for your cooperation! 

    Regards,
    Elena Tsvetkova
    Progress Telerik
     
    Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
    Test Studio Trainings
     
Back to Top