Globalization resources in bin folder

3 posts, 0 answers
  1. Carl
    Carl avatar
    197 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2012

    Posted 06 Feb 2011 Link to this post

    It seems that globalization resources are automatically copied into the bin folder of a Telerik Silverlight app for many different languages.

    And the project configuration tool does NOT appear to have a setting to turn that off.

    If all of the languages files and globalization resources are not desired, how do you turn it off to stop the automatic copying? After all, each language subdir consumes about 200kb or more of space which is unnecessary when not used!

    I've looked in the VS 2010 project file for the project and haven't found a setting anywhere. What am I missing?
  2. Vlad
    Admin
    Vlad avatar
    11100 posts

    Posted 10 Feb 2011 Link to this post

    Hello,

     You can check this thread in stackoverflow for more info:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/562227/silverlight-resource-dll-build-prevention

    Regards,
    Vlad
    the Telerik team
    Let us know about your Windows Phone 7 application built with RadControls and we will help you promote it. Learn more>>
  3. Carl
    Carl avatar
    197 posts
    Member since:
    Oct 2012

    Posted 10 Feb 2011 Link to this post

    Thanks for the link to that Stackoverflow thread. It helped me understand how to fix the problem. However, that thread did not mention that there are various other sources of the problem as follows:

    I did remove the globalization resources from the Silverlight SDK but the problem continued...

    So then I removed the globalization resources from the RIA Services SDK but the problem continued...

    So then I removed the globalization resources from the Expression SDK  --  see

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Expression\Blend\Silverlight\v4.0\Libraries

    -- but of course the problem continued....

    then I discovered that there were still globalization resources in the Telerik folders at

    C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\RadControls for Silverlight Q3 2010 SP1\Binaries\Silverlight

    and after I removed all remaining globalization resources from the Telerik folders, then FINALLY the problem was fixed!

    I encourage Telerik to make use of globalization resources an "opt-in" process always at our control to turn on/off instead of an undocumented "opt-out" process when we do not want the globalization resources. I also hope that Telerik will speak to Microsoft about Microsoft's part of this problem because presumably Telerik has a lot more influence than just "little old me"...
Back to Top