This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Browser Extension issues in T.T.F. (v2014.2.618.0)

2 Answers 31 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
Michael asked on 10 Jul 2014, 10:24 PM
Yesterday, I downloaded the latest release (v 2014.2.618.0) of the Telerik Testing Framework from the public download URL(http://www.telerik.com/download/testing-framework) and installed it on my DEV desktop.  (I have a DEV laptop running T.T.F. (v 2014.1.410.0), which does not experience this issue...)

In Visual Studio, I've added a Telerik VsUnit test class (TelerikVSUnitTest1.cs) to my test project and created a TestMethod, which simply launches the browser, as I'm demoing Telerik's ability to execute test cases on multiple browser platforms as a selling point to my team. 

[TestMethod]
public void LaunchBrowser()
{
     Manager.LaunchNewBrowser(BrowserType.FireFox);
}

Upon execution, I receive the following exception: System.ArgumentNullException:  Value cannot be null.  Parameter name: path1

As a baseline, my tests (of much greater complexity) run fine in IE, which does not require a Browser Extension; however, in Chrome, FireFox, and Safari, I receive the same exception, seen above.  I've boiled this down to the most simple of functions to demonstrate my issue and included both the demo class file, as well as the stack trace in the attached zip.

Other pertinent details:
Operating System
- Windows 8.1 (latest updates)

Visual Studio
- Version: 2013

Internet Explorer
- Version: (v11.0.9600.17207)
- Install path (default)

Chrome
- Version: (v35.0.1916.153m)
- Install path (default | C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\)

FireFox
- Version (v30.0)
- Install path (default | C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\)

Safari
- Version (v5.1.7 (7534.57.2) )
- Install path (default | C:\Program Files (x86)\Safari\)

Based on the stack, it would seem it's something related to populating the executable path for the browser; however, I could be wrong.  In a comparison with my laptop, running 2014.1.410.0, I don't have any issues. 

It would be appreciated if I can get some guidance on what the issue is, or download links to updated browser extensions, which address this issue.

Thanks,

Mike

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
answered on 10 Jul 2014, 10:51 PM
Update...

On a hunch, I attempted to install a trial of the paid Test Studio application and attempted to run Test#0, of the DemoTests project (C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Test Studio\Samples\Test Studio\DemoTests) from within Test Studio.

I executed the test from each of the browser types (baseline: IE, FF, Chrome, Safari) and all but Chrome succeeded.  Chrome displayed the message seen in the attached PNG and eventually hung.

After successful execution from three of the four browsers, I returned to Visual Studio and executed my series of TestMethods and found they all worked.

I have several colleagues who have followed the same process of installing the Telerik Testing Framework, who experience the same failures as I outlined in my original post.

1. Do you have guidance on the installation issue(s) related to the Browser Extensions when installing the Telerik Testing Framework?
2. Regarding the Chrome issue, do you have any guidance?  I know the Browser Extensions for Chrome hit obstacles when they changed the process for extensions, but any guidance / workaround would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Accepted
Boyan Boev
Telerik team
answered on 15 Jul 2014, 02:03 PM
Hello Mike,

You can install the latest extension from Extension->Get more extension and type Telerik.

Here is an article about it. 

You can also download out latest internal version of Framework from here.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Boyan Boev
Telerik

Quickly become an expert in Test Studio, check out our new training sessions!
Test Studio Trainings

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
Answers by
Michael
Top achievements
Rank 2
Boyan Boev