This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

401 returned wghen using fiddler

2 Answers 715 Views
Windows
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
Chris asked on 21 Oct 2015, 08:39 PM

I am following along with a pluralsight tutorial on asp.net web.api. http://www.pluralsight.com/courses/one-aspdotnet-from-scratch

The instructor used fiddler to test the web.api outside of the browser using the compose window. I always receive 401 on my get call. So... I hit up the google magic which yielded various possible solutions. I have tried

1. selecting automatically authenticate from the options in fiddler

2. adding this to my web.config

<system.web>
    <authorization>
      <allow users="?" />
    </authorization>
  </system.web>

3. adding the following key to my registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0\BackConnectionHostNames   value of localhost.fiddler

None of these have worked.

What else can i try or what tool can i run to determine what is incorrect?

2 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Eric Lawrence
Telerik team
answered on 22 Oct 2015, 03:13 PM
Hello, Chris--

Generally speaking, the proper way to address this is to set the Automatically Authenticate option in the OPTIONS tab of the Composer. Fiddler, upon getting a HTTP/401 credential challenge from the server, will respond to that challenge by making another request to respond to the challenge.

Having said that, this presupposes that your user account actually has permission to make requests to the target server. If you make the same request from the browser or client (with Fiddler watching), what happens? Any change if Fiddler isn't watching?

It would be helpful if you could send us (Help > Send Feedback) a SAZ file (File > Save > All Sessions) containing the traffic observed for your scenario.

Regards,
Eric Lawrence
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Oct 2015, 03:48 PM

Eric

Thank you for the response. This was 100% user ignorance, and after 7 or so hours of trying stuff i figured it out. I was manually following along with the instructor, and not just watching, so I would actually learn stuff. Somewhere he removed [Authorize] attribute from the productcontroller he created (he actually did a rename to one of the built in controllers) and i missed that.

Now the utility works well and is very helpful in understanding what is going on.

I truly appreciate the response back. I am a thick client dev, wading into the world of thin clients technologies.

thanks

C

Tags
Windows
Asked by
Chris
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Eric Lawrence
Telerik team
Chris