The Telerik RadInput Prometheus controls are a set of four highly configurable components for controlled data input in ASP.NET applications. The four controls - RadTextBox, RadNumericTextBox,RadMaskedTextBox and RadDateInput - are each designed for allowing users to enter a particular type of value, and automatically restrict the values users can enter to that type. They automatically handle the parsing of values that the user enters and formatting of their values for display.
While each of the RadInput controls has its own unique features, designed to support a particular data type, they all share a number of common features, so that you can take advantage of the same rich set of options, no matter what type of data you want to collect.
The common features of the RadInput controls include
- A client-side API with powerful methods to let you configure the input controls and numerous events to let you respond to almost everything the user does with the controls.
- Keyboard and mouse wheel support.
- Built-in copy and paste support that users can invoke with both keyboard shortcuts and a built-in context menu.
- Skins to change the look and feel of the input controls so that they match the other controls on your Web page.
- Style properties that let you configure the look of the input control, depending on its current state.
- The ability to add labels and buttons that are associated with the input control.
- Empty message support.
- Client/Server side data validation.
- Caret positioning and text selection when the control receives focus.
- Optional postback when the user changes the value.
- Support for all major browsers, including Internet Explorer 6.0 and above, Mozilla Firefox 2.0 and above, Google Chrome 2.0 and above, Opera 9.0 and above, and Safari 3.0 and above.
In addition to these common features, each RadInput control provides its own unique features, designed to make it as easy as possible to work with a particular type of data:
RadTextBox Basics - a text control that can accept all characters (alphabet, numeric and symbols). RadTextBox controls support the following features:
- Single-line, password, and multi-line modes.
- AutoComplete support in participating browsers.
- MaxLength property to define the max length of characters allowed to be entered
RadNumericTextBox - an input control that accepts only numeric entries. RadNumericTextBox controls support the following features:
- Currency, Percentage, or Number mode
- Formatting options based on Culture settings or your own detailed requirements.
- Increment/Decrement with mouse wheel, arrow keys, and spin buttons.
- Nullable DbValue property
RadMaskedTextBox - an enhanced data entry control which uses a mask to distinguish between proper and improper user input. You can use a mask to specify the accepted format such as IP address, telephone number, currency, etc. RadMaskedTextBox controls support the following features.
- Built-in support for the most commonly used masks (phone, email, social security, state, zip, etc.)
- Multi-line mode
RadDateInput - an input control that formats and validates DateTime values, and and has 'smart' parsing engine which recognizes whether the user entry can be converted to DateTime format or not. RadDateInput controls support the following features:
- Client-side methods for parsing strings into date values.
- An OnError event where you can provide custom parsing
- Separate formatting options for display and edit, including culture-based formatting.
- Increment/Decrement with mouse wheel and arrow keys.
- Nullable DbSelectedDate property
A version of RadDateInput that is integrated with the Telerik RadCalendar control to provide a comprehensive date input interface is available as the RadDatePicker control. With the RadDateInput control, users can either enter the date in the date input or select it from the popup calendar. The values of the two controls are synchronized to allow further change of the chosen date.
RadInputManager - offers an easy and intuitive way to extend a standard asp.net text box,
and without any extra custom code, introduce much functionality, normally related to a
Telerik RadInput control.
It also allows you to introduce more functionality, normally found in a Telerik RadInput
On the other hand, having a large number of input controls on the page may hurt performance.
This is where the RadInputManager
comes in. It automatically adds extra
functionality to separate text boxes, or all text boxes nested in another control on the page, via
just a few settings.