This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Fiddler not capturing IE requests only for intranet

7 Answers 125 Views
Windows
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Rekna
Top achievements
Rank 1
Rekna asked on 06 Jan 2016, 01:19 PM

Fiddler is capturing all internet requests from internet explorer, but as soon as I request something internally (site hosted in iis on my pc or site hosted in iis on server in our domain), fiddler does not show anything.

When I use chrome, all traffic shows up (intranet and internet), no problem there. 

But I need fiddler for some internet explorer specific problem, so does anyone have any idea why fiddler is not capturing requests from IE for intranet sites?

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
0
Tsviatko Yovtchev
Telerik team
answered on 08 Jan 2016, 03:20 PM
Hi,

Do you have any active filters? Have you tried switching all filters off? You can also check out the Log tab for clues.

Also, what shows up in IE and chrome when accessing http://127.0.0.1:8888 and http://localhost.fiddler:8888 ? Is there any difference?

Regards,
Tsviatko Yovtchev
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
0
Rekna
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 13 Jan 2016, 07:27 AM

I do not have any active filters.  The checkbox Use Filters is not checked.

Responses are the same:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: text/html, application/xhtml+xml, */*
Accept-Language: nl-BE,nl;q=0.5
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Host: 127.0.0.1:8888
DNT: 1
Connection: Keep-Alive


This page returned a HTTP/200 response 
Originating Process Information: iexplore:7888

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GET / HTTP/1.1
Accept: text/html, application/xhtml+xml, */*
Accept-Language: nl-BE,nl;q=0.5
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
Host: localhost:8888
DNT: 1
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive


This page returned a HTTP/200 response 
Originating Process Information: iexplore:7488

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: 127.0.0.1:8888
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.106 Safari/537.36
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, sdch
Accept-Language: nl,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.6

This page returned a HTTP/200 response 
Originating Process Information: chrome:7016

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GET / HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:8888
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Upgrade-Insecure-Requests: 1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.106 Safari/537.36
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate, sdch
Accept-Language: nl,en-US;q=0.8,en;q=0.6

This page returned a HTTP/200 response 
Originating Process Information: chrome:7016

 

0
Rekna
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jan 2016, 09:00 AM

It seems to be working again... I tried Help / Troubleshoot, and it started showing my requests... 
Troubleshoot normally displays all filtered request using a striketrough font, but none of my requests were displayed using stikethrough font, so Troubleshoot must have reset something, but it's unclear what this might be.

I restarted Fiddler and it continues to show all my requests.. So it seems to be solved.

0
Rekna
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Jan 2016, 09:07 AM
Unfortunately, it stopped again... this is really weird.  Trying Help/Troubleshoot does not show any of my requests, so it's not a filter.
0
EricLaw
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 31 Jan 2016, 04:01 AM

The Troubleshoot option makes no configuration changes; it simply unhides hidden requests.

The most likely explanation for the behavior described is that there's some other software on your PC (e.g. RAS/VPN, DirectAccess, or similar) that is changing the behavior of network requests in IE.

You should confirm that the box on Tools > Fiddler Options > Connections contains only <-loopback>

0
Rekna
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 01 Feb 2016, 10:01 AM

intranet sites (which don't log in fiddler) = DirectAccess, IPV6

Fiddler IPV6 option is enabled.

Our IT guy asked if Fiddler is fully ipv6 compliant? Thinks it has to do something with IPV6...

0
EricLaw
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 04 Feb 2016, 04:34 PM

Fiddler is fully IPv6 compliant.

DirectAccess is a different story. DirectAccess is a hack inside the Windows network stacks (WinINET/WinHTTP) that causes traffic to bypass the configured proxy for the sites known to DirectAccess. There's no simple workaround for this; the typical approach is to just VPN/RAS into the corporate network (e.g. remote desktop to a PC inside the org) and run Fiddler there such that DirectAccess doesn't interfere with anything.

Tags
Windows
Asked by
Rekna
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Tsviatko Yovtchev
Telerik team
Rekna
Top achievements
Rank 1
EricLaw
Top achievements
Rank 1
Share this question
or