This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

WinForms Q3 2009 issues with Windows 7

6 Answers 111 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Eric asked on 03 Nov 2011, 11:53 PM
I've been having issues getting Telerik controls to display in Visual Studio's designer mode. Some simple controls, like Text Box and Label will be selectable in design mode and have all their properties pop up in the properties pane, but for some like RadGridView and RadPanel they aren't clickable in design view. The only graphical representation I get of them through the design mode is their icon + label appearing in the grey column underneath the rest of the form/user control (like when you have other custom user controls VS doesn't render).

I've read up on some solutions, namely installing Telerik.WinControls.UI.Designer into the GAC through Visual Studio's command prompt and/or referencing it in the project using said controls. I've tried both solutions -- neither have been working. What's odd, is that I followed the same steps in installing those Telerik controls when I had XP running as my Operating System. Now that the firm has been upgraded to Windows 7 it doesn't work. Don't quote me on this, but I think it may do with the extra security permissions given to folders like Program Files that didn't exist in XP.

I know the recommended answer here would be to upgrade to a newer version of WinForms, and while our company does have them, the program I'm working on is several years old and several (11) projects big. Should we update, we'd need to update the GACs on all of the servers that are hosting the program -- this way our users do not have to install/upgrade our applications themselves. Simply put, it would be a very messy situation.

While I found some answers on this, unfortuantely I found nothing recent or that worked. Perhaps my Googling/search skills aren't up to par, but it would be great if someone could help me out here. I'm simply out of ideas at this point.

Thanks,
Eric

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 08 Nov 2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Eric,

Regardless of the fact that this is an old version of RadControls for WinForms, it should work without problems on Windows 7. I tested it on my Windows 7 PC and could not observe issues. However, please note that this version supports only Visual Studio 2008 and it has no integration with Visual Studio 2010 Toolbox. Still, it is possible to use our controls in Visual Studio 2010 by adding controls manually to the toolbox. Please consider the following steps:

1. Create a new project and open its Form at design time.
2. Click the right mouse button on the Toolbox panel.
3. Choose the Add tab option.
4. Right click with the mouse again and select the Choose items option.
5. Click the Browse button at the right bottom corner of the dialog.
6. Navigate to the folder where you installed RadControls for WinForms and select the bin folder.
7. Select the Telerik.WinControls.UI dll.
8. Check one checkbox from the selected items and click OK.

Could you please confirm that this solves the issue? If not, describe your hardware and software configuration so we can investigate the case further. Thank you in advance.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
Jack
the Telerik team

Q2’11 SP1 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download (see what's new); also available is the Q3'11 Roadmap for Telerik Windows Forms controls.

Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Nov 2011, 03:44 PM
It worked for those controls contained in Telerik.WinControls.UI, but when I tried to do the same for the RadGridView (from Telerik.WinControls.GridView) it won't let me use the grid in designer mode.

I'm using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and I'm running 32bit Windows 7 with ~3.4 (the max) GB of RAM.
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 08 Nov 2011, 08:25 PM
Ok, what's really odd is that I made a new RadForm project and I got the grid control to work within the designer, but it still doesn't work in the existing solution. One thing I did notice is that I'm using Telerik DLLs stored in a project folder. Would this interfere with some kind of authentication on Telerik's side?

This is what I get when I try to add a RadGridView to my project:
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 11 Nov 2011, 12:57 PM
Hello Eric,

Thank you for these details. 

Yes, this could be the reason for the issue. It appears when Visual Studio cannot determine the correct assembly version and when there are assemblies with different versions used in your project. I recommend using assemblies from GAC in your application. 

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have further questions.

Kind regards,
Jack
the Telerik team

Q2’11 SP1 of RadControls for WinForms is available for download (see what's new); also available is the Q3'11 Roadmap for Telerik Windows Forms controls.

Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 11 Nov 2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks, it did appear that that was the issue. 
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 14 Nov 2011, 01:38 PM
Hi Eric,

Thank you for the update. I am glad to hear that the issue is solved now. If you have any further questions, we will be glad to help.

Regards,
Jack
the Telerik team

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jack
Telerik team
Eric
Top achievements
Rank 1