What is the "ideal" and most efficient way to test this simple test scenario:
I have 2 types of users - Field and Admin. I need to log in as a Field user and verify some text on the logged in page. After that, I need to log in as an Admin and do the same (verify some text on the logged in page).
In my test project I imagined something like this:
1. create "Login" test
- databind / set test custom property / set 2 global variables in script of the username and password in test properties
2. create "Login Field test"
- add Test as Step (Login) and set guest's username and password wherever we stored credentials
- add verify step to check for text
3. create "Login Admin test"
- do the same as above steps
To organize everything, I would put the Login test step under the project (since it will be used for other tests in the project) but I would create a sub-folder and group the 2 tests inside since they both are related. I would then go the Test Lists and configure a new list with the 2 tests to finalize everything.
Few questions that came up:
- Where can I get more information on the Custom Properties that the Test Details offer? Is this applicable to store the username and password here to databind as in my Login test step example? How would we access these values in the Standalone (like a $(variable) and in the code behind, if it's even possible?
- Do we have any videos/links that are similar to this scenario to check out? I've seen a few but just wanted to get advice from the experts :)
Any feedback, ideas, advice, common pitfalls doing it this way, etc is greatly appreciated!