This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

MSBuild Failing with Version 2013.1.806.0

34 Answers 236 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
Jeff asked on 20 Aug 2013, 04:45 PM
We recently upgraded our test studio project and run time edition to the most recent version.  Our builds are now failing with the following error.

c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design\v4.0_2013.1.806.0__4fc62bbc3827ab1d\ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design.dll: Assembly 'ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design, Version=2013.1.806.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fc62bbc3827ab1d' uses 'ArtOfTest.WebAii, Version=2013.1.806.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fd5f65be123776c' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'ArtOfTest.WebAii, Version=2012.2.1420.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fd5f65be123776c'

Where is this conflicting reference coming from?  We have done searches for this reference to see if there are any old files somewhere but do not see any.  Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Thanks

*****UPDATE*****
It seems that creating a brand new project/solution picks up the correct references and we were able to see our tests run against the agent.  This seems to be a work-around, and not the solution.  Still looking into a possible solution.

34 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 20 Aug 2013, 09:31 PM
Hello Jeff,

This sounds like you may be running into a problem with Specific Version. Make sure your Visual Studio project is reference the correct version of ArtOfTest.WebAii. If you copied this DLL into your own private "referenced DLLs" folder, make sure the copy is updated, or you change the reference to use the one from our Bin folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Test Studio\Bin.

Also, if your test project relies on any utility DLL's that you've created, make sure those utility DLL's get updated to reference the correct version of our DLL's.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
The New Release of Telerik Test Studio Is Here! Download, install,
and send us your feedback!
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Aug 2013, 04:56 PM
Hi Cody,

I don't think we have a problem with a specific version. We didn't copy anything manually and all references  look to be pointing to the correct bin folder.  (C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Test Studio\Bin)

We decided to roll back to the previous version of Test Studio. Our local machines are now running Test Studio 2012.2.19 (Version 122.19.3.0). What is interesting is we tried to use the same exact framework on the server but still were given the error I reported. I ended up putting Test Studio 2012.2 (Version 122.14.20.0) and then had to create a new project in TFS and copy over a backup of the solution. Once I did all that, the build worked and the tests were executing on the Test Agent.

I have upgraded one of our VM's with Test Stuio's updated version and upgraded our Visual Stuido Project as well.  I can send you the zipped up project, but it's over 300 MBs.

Thanks,

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 22 Aug 2013, 06:50 PM
Hi Jeff,

Rolling back while we get this resolved sounds like a good plan.

I'll be glad to diagnose your project. I'll send you an invite to a private dropbox folder that only you and I can access. It has a few GB of space available. You can upload it there. Just alert me when it's done so I can remember to go and look at it.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 22 Aug 2013, 07:53 PM
Hi Cody,

I just uploaded the zip file that contains our solution

Thanks,

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 24 Aug 2013, 12:31 AM
Hi Jeff,

Well, your project builds with no problem here, in both VS 2012 and standalone Test Studio. What if you select Build -> Rebuild? Does that make a difference? If not can you show me a screen shot of your ArtOfTest.WebAii assembly reference properties? Let's compare it to the attached screen shot.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Aug 2013, 05:12 PM
Hi Cody,

The solution builds fine locally.  It's when the build server tries to build the solution that we see those errors.  Both the server (before the rollback) and my local machine were using the same version of test studio.  Do you know of any locations that might contain old files being referenced that may have to be removed manually?

Thanks,

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 26 Aug 2013, 08:42 PM
Hello Jeff,

An upgrade is supposed to remove all old versions of our DLL's. Our problem DLL only gets installed in two locations:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Test Studio\Bin
  • The GAC: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly
Tell me a little more about your build server setup. TFS? NUnit? TeamCity? Using MSBuild or what?
Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2013, 01:09 PM
Hi Cody,

We have a TFS Build server using MSBuild.  I have attached a drawing of our topology.  My apologies for using MSPaint, but I do not have Visio on my machine. 

We rolled back the QA server version of the Test Studio framework to version 122.14.20
The version used to create the Test Studio Solution is - 122.19.3.0

This combination doesn't have any issue building on the TFS server and running tests on the agent.  Let me know if you need addtional information.

Thanks,

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 05:08 PM
Hi Jeff,

Looking at your diagram (thank you for sending that) I am concerned whether or not you have installed Test Studio on all the required machines. First we recommend using our Run-Time edition be used on build server environments. It's much cheaper, provides what is needed for build servers and test servers, but does not include the IDE for creating/modifying tests.

Test Studio needs to be installed on both the Build Server and the QA Server. The Build Server needs our DLL's for compiling. The QA Server needs our DLL's for executing the tests.

Looking in your account I see only one license for our Run-Time edition. You need to obtain 1 additional license to properly support your setup. Then you can install our Run-Time edition on both machines.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 05:54 PM
Hi Cody,

Where can I download the run-time addition for my license?  I see the latest internal build section, but that doesn't appear to have gone through your QA process.

Thanks,

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 06:36 PM
Hello Jeff,

I created this short video that walks you through getting to the download of the installer for the Run-Time edition. Start by logging in to your account at Telerik.com then follow the steps in the video:
http://screencast.com/t/rpCoODOfvsB

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 06:49 PM
Cody,

I must apologize again, I was under the incorrect assumption that our TFS build server was a different box.  That is not correct.  The test controller, the test agent, and the build server are all on the same box. 

Thanks,

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 29 Aug 2013, 07:17 PM
Hello Jeff,

Ok, I see. Technically an "all in one" configuration should work just fine. As a "sanity" check is the same version of Test Studio installed on both your local machine and the build & test server e.g. 2012.2.827?

Assuming that they are, let's try a troubleshooting step. What happens when you try to manually build the project from the command line?

msbuild mytestproject.sln

I would expect this to work, but let me know your results.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 03:02 PM
Hi Cody,

Here is our current working structure right now.  As you can see we have different versions installed, but everything seems to be working.  What I can do is upgrad the Build/Test Server to the new version of the Test Studio Framework and try building it with the most recent version of Test Studio I have installed on a VM box and let you know how that goes.

Build/Test Server -    Version 122.14.20.0
Local Machine -        Version 122.19.3.0

I'll get back to you with the results later today.

Thanks,

Jeff

Cody
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 04:15 PM
Hello Jeff,

It is very important that all machines be using the same build. IMO, things are not working otherwise you wouldn't have created this ticket <smile>. I'll stand by for your results after you finish upgrading all machines to be using the same version.

P.S. I'm curious where you got Version 122.19.3.0 from? That's not in my list of our released versions (and my list is quite extensive).

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 05:24 PM

Build server is still throwing this error.  I've took screen shots of all the versions of the server and local machine.  Not sure why it thinks we are still using ArtOfTest.WebAii version 2012.2.1420.0.

c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL\ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design\v4.0_2013.1.806.0__4fc62bbc3827ab1d\ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design.dll: Assembly 'ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design, Version=2013.1.806.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fc62bbc3827ab1d' uses 'ArtOfTest.WebAii, Version=2013.1.806.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fd5f65be123776c' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'ArtOfTest.WebAii, Version=2012.2.1420.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fd5f65be123776c'

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Microsoft.Common.targets (1605): Found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly.

as far as getting that version (122.19.3.0) that was sent to us as a patch update because of an issue we were having with Firefox 22.  I'll have to ask one of my team who submitted the ticket if you need further details.

Cody
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 06:06 PM
Hi Jeff,

I'd like to look at this problem on your build server via GoToMeeting. I'm too full today (and Monday is national holiday). Can we do this Tuesday? How about 10am Central time?

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 06:11 PM
That would be fine with me, but I am on vacation next week. Can we do the following?

Times I am NOT available
9/9 -
2-3 PM EST

9/10 -
11-12 PM EST
3-3:30 PM EST

9/12 -
2 - 4 PM EST

9/13
2 - 3:30
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 06:47 PM
Jeff,

If you or Telerik haven't already done so, I would suggest the following ...

1) Open your project file in a text editor (preferably one that supports the XML format) and check if the versions of each of the Telerik DLLs in the References section matches what you are seeing in the Version field of the properties for its reference - I suspect they are different. 
2) If this is the case, try deleting and readding the references (when adding, select them from the physical location on disk where they are installed - not GAC). 

Versions of the Runtime does need to match that of Test Studio that you are working with.

Hope that helps,

Shashi

Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 07:16 PM
Hi Shashi,

There is no version in the XML that indicates what the DLL's are using.  I can see the reference properties of those DLL's are using 2013.1.806.0, but there is nothing in the XML telling me that.  I've attached a screenshot of the XML

Thanks,

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 07:46 PM
Hello Jeff,

All right. Let's do 10am Eastern on the 10th (give you the 9th to catch up from being on vacation).

1.  Please join my meeting, Tuesday, September 10, 2013 at 9:00 AM Central Daylight Time.
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/793111861

2.  Use your microphone and speakers (VoIP) - a headset is recommended.  Or, call in using your telephone.

Dial +1 (626) 521-0014
Access Code: 793-111-861
Audio PIN: Shown after joining the meeting

P.S. Saw your screen shot. It's safe to remove Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.UnitTestFramework. Test Studio tests do not use it. Removing it won't solve the build problem, but will improve efficiency.

@Shashi - We appreciate your efforts to assist with Jeff's build problem!

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Shashi
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 30 Aug 2013, 07:47 PM
Hmm - here is what my csproj file looks like in that section.  As you can see, it has versions for all the Telerik DLLs.  I am using Visual Studio 2010 SP1 (C# programming environment).  I am not using the latest version of TS - but that should not make any difference unless Telerik changed something at their end for the latest release. 

You may want to try deleting and re-adding the references anyway if you haven't already tried this.

Shashi
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 03 Sep 2013, 02:36 PM
Hi,

Thank you for your efforts to assist Shashi. I think one thing that can cause the difference is if you manually add the reference in Visual Studio you'll get the format you have shown. If you export to Visual Studio from our standalone IDE, you'll get the format that Jeff shows. Both are vaild for Visual Studio.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 09 Sep 2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys,

Just wanted to confirm with you for the gotomeeting tomorrow morning at 10 am

Jeff
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 09 Sep 2013, 04:14 PM
Hi,

Yes, tomorrow at 10am Eastern, 9am Central.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 10 Sep 2013, 02:01 PM
Hello,

Just wrapping up another customer meeting now. We'll start very soon. Please stand by. Thank you.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Sep 2013, 02:06 PM
Standing by.....
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Sep 2013, 03:26 PM
Hi Cody,

Thanks for taking the time to diagnose the issue we had with the build. Attached is the last failed log for documentation purposes.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Accepted
Cody
Telerik team
answered on 10 Sep 2013, 10:31 PM
Hello Jeff,

Thank you for the log file! Just to document the outcome of our meeting today:
We found there were stray copies of old versions of ArtOfTest.WebAii.dll in C:\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\v3.5. Once we deleted these stray DLL's the TFS build worked fine.

Closing this ticket as resolved now.

Regards,
Cody
Telerik
soumya
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 14 Nov 2016, 06:24 AM

error CS1705: Assembly 'ArtOfTest.WebAii.Design, Version=2016.3.928.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=4fc62bbc3827ab1d' uses 'Telerik.TestStudio.Interfaces, Version=2016.3.928.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b9f4c4e36181b3de' which has a higher version than referenced assembly 'Telerik.TestStudio.Interfaces, Version=2013.1.1002.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b9f4c4e36181b3de'

i am getting the same dont knnow what to do 

Boyan Boev
Telerik team
answered on 16 Nov 2016, 12:33 PM
Hello Soumya,

Please delete the references for ArtOfTest.WebAii.Desing and Telerik.TestStudio.Interfaces from project settings

After deleting the references add them again from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Test Studio\Bin

Let me know if that helps.

Regards,
Boyan Boev
Telerik by Progress

soumya
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Nov 2016, 01:07 PM
Thanks that worked but i need some more help on one of the cases when i am able to capture a data in a varibale and write the same in excel.Can u please space sometime on this 
soumya
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 16 Nov 2016, 01:09 PM
Need few help in resolving them .Kindly please help me as this needs to be fixed at priority
Elena
Telerik team
answered on 17 Nov 2016, 01:01 PM
Hi Soumya,

The new query you have is quite apart from the topic in this thread. Please note when you need to place a new topic question to submit either new support ticket or a new public post to our portal. 

Though I will provide you further information about your query. You could extract the value of any element using the built in in Test Studio Extraction step. Such an extracted variable could be then used in your test script accordingly. Extracted variables could be get and set in code as well

Once you have the variables with the required data you could store them into Excel sheet. Please note this is a sample code and you need to adjust it to your exact needs and application specifics. 

Thanks for your understanding! 

Regards,
Elena Tsvetkova
Telerik by Progress

Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Jeff
Top achievements
Rank 1