Visual Studio 2022 stopped responding for xx seconds.

7 Answers 1603 Views
Visual Studio Extensions
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Dave asked on 07 Oct 2022, 01:21 AM | edited on 07 Oct 2022, 01:42 AM

I've had this nagging error for the last few months with Visual Studio 2022.  

Visual Studio 2022 stopped responding for 88 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik UI for Winforms Extension 2202.3.921.3.

The seconds shown are grossly underreported and exceed 180 seconds. I disabled it through Extensions>Manage Extensions.  The freezing has stopped.

VS2019 is not exhibiting this behavior. 

Microsoft Visual Studio Enterprise 2022
Version 17.4.0 Preview 2.1
VisualStudio.17.Preview/17.4.0-pre.2.1+32916.344
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.8.04084

Win 10 21H2, Core i9-12900K, 64/1TNVMe

erwin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Iron
commented on 06 Feb 2023, 07:50 PM

Same experience here for a couple of telerik releases, apparently not fixed with newest extensions, newest visual studio and .net 7.0.2
Nikola
Telerik team
commented on 09 Feb 2023, 07:22 AM

Hi Erwin,

As discussed in the private ticket thread we are still working on a thorough solution to the UI delays. We continue to gather information to evaluate whether the planned improvements will handle all the scenarios that arise. We hope we will be able to deliver these improvements with one of the mid-year releases we have planned. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

7 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
sjo-jb
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
answered on 29 Oct 2022, 12:58 PM

Hi

I experiences the everytime Telerik components has been updeted on my computer. And I can also confirm that the problem goes away if I disable the extension. So normaly I disable all Telerik components to get rid of this issue and and only enable the Telerik component when I have to create a new solution where Telerik component are involved.

The project where I see this issue is a simple 4.8 Console app using package.config.

After last Telerik component update then my project behaves like this when loaded in VS2022 latest version 17.3.6. What you see here is me trying to VS and load my solution totally 5 times

Visual Studio stopped responding for 870 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik WinForms Converter 2022.3.921.3 might help.  
Visual Studio stopped responding for 14 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik UI for WPF Extension 2022.3.1021.2 might help. 
Visual Studio stopped responding for 19 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik UI for WPF Extension 2022.3.1021.2 might help. 
Visual Studio stopped responding for 23 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik UI for WinForms Extension 2022.3.1021.2 
Visual Studio stopped responding for 16 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik UI for WinForms Extension 2022.3.1021.2 might help.

And this without disable any components. If I do disable them the problem goes away. 

The funny part is that the message fist appear first after approximately 3 minutes, atleast for me.  But futher and in the same sequence and approximately 5 seconds before that. The my VS credentials appers in top left corner, indicating that I am logged-in with my VS account.

That indicate to me some kind of weird dependency order of some kind.

Regards /Sten

Vesko
Telerik team
commented on 02 Nov 2022, 02:06 PM

Thank you very much for sharing additional information in the community. We will use it in order to resolve and fully test the issue.
Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 11 Oct 2022, 11:29 AM

Hello David,

We have to apologize for that behavior. This could be a known issue which is usually observed when you open a solution with multiple projects. Could you please let us know:

• When exactly the warning message is observed? What are the steps to reproduce the problem?
  • If a Visual Studio solution is involved, how many projects are available?
  • What kind of projects are included in the Visual Studio solution?
  • What kind of references are used in the projects - regular or PackageReference?
  • What target frameworks are used in the projects?

It will be really convenient if you share your csproj/vbproj files in a private communication to examine them.

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik

Virtual Classroom, the free self-paced technical training that gets you up to speed with Telerik and Kendo UI products quickly just got a fresh new look + new and improved content including a brand new Blazor course! Check it out at https://learn.telerik.com/.

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 11 Oct 2022, 03:08 PM

Hi Vesko,

Thanks for responding.

• When exactly the warning message is observed? What are the steps to reproduce the problem?

Visual Studio 2022 stopped responding for XX seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik UI for Winforms Extension 2202.3.921.3.

I really can't say what is required to reproduce the problem.  I adopted this project and it needs a lot of help.

• If a Visual Studio solution is involved, how many projects are available?

There are 15 projects in this solution.

• What kind of projects are included in the Visual Studio solution?

It's a mix. Multiple Libraries, a Windows Application, and finally a service.

• What kind of references are used in the projects - regular or PackageReference?

Package Reference

• What target frameworks are used in the projects?

.Net 7

Sure, I can provide a copy of the csproj.  What's your email?

Thanks,

_Dave

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 13 Oct 2022, 01:36 AM

Also, disabling the extension through Extensions>Manage Extensions does not work.  When I click the Disable button for the Telerik Extension, I'm notified changes are scheduled and modifications will begin when all Visual Studio windows are closed.   

Exit Visual Studio, restart the machine, open Visual Studio & the project,  and the Telerik Extension is still enabled.  I glanced through the event logs and saw no errors or warnings.

Vesko
Telerik team
commented on 13 Oct 2022, 01:07 PM

Do you have Telerik UI for WinForms extension installed only? Another Telerik extension can cause similar issues.

As an alternative approach you can remove the extension. It is available in the Visual Studio Marketplace and you can install it from Visual Studio later if necessary.

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 15 Nov 2022, 02:31 AM

I've been using VS 2022 without the extension up to this point.   After reinstalling the extension, rebooting, starting my project, then adding a RadForm from the Telerik for UI Winforms context menu or New Item, the wizard throws this error:

Error occurred while running wizard.

Telerik.VSX.WizardEngine.ScenarioManagerException: Category: General
Item template: Telerik RadForm
Item name: RadForm1
DTE version: 17.0
Original message: Sequence contains no matching element ---> System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains no matching element
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Last[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at Telerik.WinControls.VSX.TemplateProcessing.WFCoreScenarioManager.Launch(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, String itemName, String scenarioPath, String scenarioName)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Telerik.WinControls.VSX.TemplateProcessing.WFCoreScenarioManager.Launch(IServiceProvider serviceProvider, String itemName, String scenarioPath, String scenarioName)
   at Telerik.WinControls.VSPackage.VSCoreItemTemplateWizard.LaunchScenarioManager(ServiceProvider serviceProvider, Dictionary`2 replacementsDictionary)
   at Telerik.VSX.VSPackage.WizardBase.<>c__DisplayClass11_0.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.TemplateWizard.IWizard.RunStarted>b__0()
   at Telerik.VSX.VSPackage.WizardBase.CatchExceptionAndSendReport(Action action)

Guess it's fingerbanging or copying in a new form from here on out.

Vesko
Telerik team
answered on 13 Oct 2022, 12:52 PM

Hello David,

Thank you for sharing this information. Generally speaking, we have performance issues reading NuGet metadata from PackageReference. Sometimes this can cause significant delay in a multi-project solution which is detected by Visual Studio.

I have created a support ticket where you can share your projects privately. 

Regards,
Vesko
Progress Telerik

Love the Telerik and Kendo UI products and believe more people should try them? Invite a fellow developer to become a Progress customer and each of you can get a $50 Amazon gift voucher.

Jérôme
Top achievements
Rank 1
Iron
Iron
Iron
answered on 10 Nov 2022, 03:37 PM

Same here, I've to wait up to 8 minutes sometimes to be able to interact with my solution, this is highly annoying.

Using :

- Net 7 projects

- Telerik for Winforms v2022.3.1109.45

- VS 2022 Enterprise 17.4

Vesko
Telerik team
commented on 14 Nov 2022, 01:42 PM

Thank you for the additional information, Jérôme. The problem is identified. We plan to release a fix in one of the upcoming updates in 2023.
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 20 Nov 2022, 01:11 AM

With the 2022.3.1108.1 update, the issue persists. "Visual Studio stopped responding for 35 seconds. Disabling the extension Progress Telerik WinForms Converter 2022.3.1108.1 might help."  The difference I notice is Visual Studio was very laggy rather than being tied up for a coffee break.  I can't say if the difference is in the Telerik extension or the new VS version. MSVSE Version 17.5.0 

Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
answered on 31 Jan 2023, 09:38 PM

For those just stopping in:

It's still a performance issue with the 2023.1.113.1 extension.

Interestingly enough, the VS 2022 Performance Manager has a side note for this extension: "Frequency: 6 reports in the past week"

willi
Top achievements
Rank 1
commented on 28 Mar 2023, 06:12 AM | edited

I'm experiencing the same problems in VS2022 with 2023.1.314. Solution with 33 Projects with mixed types.

VS Studio completely stops responding for about 15 hours (I let it wait over night). I just wanted to upgrade Winforms from an old version to the latest - no chance.

Is there a chance in solving this problem in the near future?

Vesko
Telerik team
commented on 30 Mar 2023, 10:49 AM

We have to apologize for taking so long to resolve the problem. We plan to release a fix in the beginning of June.

In your particular case I would suggest:

• Upgrade your projects iteratively by unloading projects from the solution in order to reduce the amount of active projects.
  • Disable all Telerik extensions except Telerik UI for WinForms.
erwin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Iron
answered on 16 Jun 2023, 12:34 PM
This issue seems to be at least partially fixed in the 2023 R2 release.
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
commented on 16 Jun 2023, 03:23 PM

You're still experiencing a startup delay?

2023.2.606.53 completely fixed on both of the development machines - a 12th-gen i9 and a venerable 4th-gen i7.  This fix also eliminated two years of project-loading coffee breaks. 

But, my config is a bit different for some unknown reason and I had to uninstall everything Telerik with the Telerik Control Panel, reboot, then reinstall. It's the only way to be sure.

erwin
Top achievements
Rank 1
Veteran
Iron
commented on 16 Jun 2023, 03:29 PM

Hi David  still have some blocks now and then but nowhere as bad as with earlier Telerik Versions. 13th gen i9 H Laptop Processor. Have a Ticket open with Telerik Support for tracing etc.
Dess | Tech Support Engineer, Principal
Telerik team
commented on 19 Jun 2023, 04:36 AM

David, I am glad to hear that the introduced improvements have a positive impact on your development process.

Erwin, please have in mind that we are still working on this functionality since it is not an easy task to address with a single shot. The yellow banner is expected to be seen in certain cases. Any feedback or steps that lead to unexpected behavior would be greatly appreciated so we can ensure that all potential cases would be handled. Thank you in advance.

Tags
Visual Studio Extensions
Asked by
Dave
Top achievements
Rank 2
Iron
Iron
Veteran
Answers by
sjo-jb
Top achievements