This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Upgrade WPF Report Viewer to Q1 2014

19 Answers 328 Views
General Discussions
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Ricky
Top achievements
Rank 1
Ricky asked on 21 Mar 2014, 04:42 PM
Hi there, 

I am upgrading both my WPF and Reporting controls from 2013Q1 to 2014Q1, the entire solution is not built, and if I add the version redirect, the report is not showing anything.My report view is so simple, is there anything I need to code for the 2014Q1 reporting? following is my xaml code:

<Window
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
        xmlns:tr="http://schemas.telerik.com/wpf" xmlns:Report="clr-namespace:LavaBid.WinApp.Report" x:Class="LavaBid.WinApp.View.ReportView"
        Title="Jumbo Loan Strat Report" Width="1200" Height="800">
    <Grid>
        <Label Content="{Binding TestText}" Margin="0,86,-8,-42" Width="{DynamicResource {x:Static SystemParameters.MaximizedPrimaryScreenWidthKey}}"  />

<tr:ReportViewer HorizontalAlignment="Left" Margin="10,10,0,0" VerticalAlignment="Top" ReportSource="{Binding ReportSource}" Width="1160" Height="700" />
    </Grid>
</Window>

19 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Peter
Telerik team
answered on 26 Mar 2014, 09:41 AM
Hello Ricky,

Starting from Telerik Reporting Q1 2014 both the Silverlight and WPF report viewers will support only the implicit styling, i.e. style without the x:Key attribute. For more information and the required changes see: Upgrade Path - Q1 2014 article.

Regards,
Peter
Telerik

Build cross-platform mobile apps using Visual Studio and .NET. Register for the online webinar on 03/27/2014, 11:00AM US ET.. Seats are limited.

Ricky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Mar 2014, 05:25 PM
Turn out it is the windows 7 template has bug, it is not compiled and I have to manually fix it.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 26 Mar 2014, 06:05 PM
Hello Ricky,

Please double-check if you have updated the properly the NoXaml binaries and the corresponding XAML resources.

From Telerik Reporting product folder you need only the Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.dll and Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml. The rest assemblies and corresponding XAML files should be updated from the UI for WPF product folder.

We will appreciate it if you update the thread with details about the exact used version of Telerik Reporting and UI for WPF, and the received error when you use Windows 7 theme's resources.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Build cross-platform mobile apps using Visual Studio and .NET. Register for the online webinar on 03/27/2014, 11:00AM US ET.. Seats are limited.

Ricky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 26 Mar 2014, 06:44 PM
These are the version I am using:
Reporting: 8.0 14.225 (Feb 25, 2014)
UI for WPF: 2014.1 224 (Feb 24, 2014)

I have tried to change the dll to NoXaml binaries but with no luck. Since both libraries are official release, I will be surprised if I need to change my WPF UI libraries to some other libraries (which is really confusing as the dll version is the same, but different file size). I will expect after installation of WPF UI, run the upgrade wizard, and reference the Reporting libraries will work.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 27 Mar 2014, 07:00 PM
Hello Ricky,

The dependencies for the specified versions of Telerik Reporting and UI for WPF are described in the Upgrade Path Q1 2014 help article.

For the mentioned two versions, you will need to use binding redirects, as officially the WPF ReportViewer version 8.0 14.225 was built against earlier version of the UI for WPF. Both products are synchronized in the consecutive internal builds: Telerik Reporting 8.0.14.311 and UI for WPF 2014.1.310.

To upgrade the project, you would need to run the Upgrade Wizard of each product.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Rayne
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Apr 2014, 07:28 PM
I've upgraded both UI for WPF plus Reporting to the latest version. I've added the binding redirects. my project finally works, but my report is blank. I understand this is because I have to use implicit styling.

I'm not sure how to go about changing my entire project to use implicit styling so that nothing breaks. I've been using the StyleManger to mix and match the themes. The application theme is OfficeBlue, but in various places I use Windows8 theme because it meshes better with the look of my UI.

If I switch to implicit styling, how do I mix and match the themes for various controls since I'm merging the xaml dictionaries? I guess at the moment, I'd prefer to only use implicit styling on the ReportViewer (unless I can figure out the theme mixing), but won't changing the referenced dlls in my project to the NoXaml ones for the ReportViewer cause all the other controls to require implicit styling as well?

What's the best way to get this working? As far as I can tell, the only problem I'm having with my project is that the Report Viewer is blank because of the new styling.
Ricky
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 23 Apr 2014, 08:41 PM
Rayne,

in your WPF project, you need to create the Theme folder, and copy whatever theme you need from Telerik installed library, then you need to modify your app.xaml to add reference to the theme, after that's done, your report will be back.

--ricky
Rayne
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Apr 2014, 12:54 PM

Thanks. I did this and my Report works again. But some of my controls are now not using the applied styles. According to the docs, I need to include the following xaml files:

System.Windows.xaml
Telerik.Windows.Controls.xaml
Telerik.Windows.Controls.Input.xaml
Telerik.Windows.Controls.Navigation.xaml
Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml 

So I did this. But I have several controls (buttons, expander, etc) that are using a different theme than the global theme. I override them using StyleManager.Theme.

Now that I added the styling for the Report, those other controls are not being overridden. They are picking up the global theme. How do I get them back to using the overridden theme?

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 29 Apr 2014, 08:40 AM
Hi Rayne,

Only the Reporting WPF ReportViewer requires implicit styles - the Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml and Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.dll. Thus you can use the full binaries from Telerik Ui for WPF and control their styling as before through the StyleManager. Still styles for the viewer will be in the Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml file.

If you switch entirely to implicit styling, you can modify the XAML files, or use inline style setters to change specific controls look.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik

Check out the Telerik Platform - the only platform that combines a rich set of UI tools with powerful cloud services to develop web, hybrid and native mobile apps.

Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 24 Aug 2015, 07:46 PM

I'm updating to the Q2 2015 reporting tools in VS2015, and I'm having an issue with the many guides that are identical to this one:
http://www.telerik.com/support/kb/reporting/details/the-wpf-silverlight-report-viewer-is-blank-after-upgrading-from-version-prior-to-q1-2014-to-q1-2014-or-later

My problem is that when I add the following: 

<ResourceDictionary Source="/Telerik.Windows.Themes.Expression_Dark;component/Themes/Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml"/>​
it squiggly underlines Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml and tells me "(my path)\Assemblies\Telerik.Windows.Themes.Expression_Dark.dll\Themes\Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml" path not found

I have 7 other identical lines, pointing to other xaml files and they all seem to be working fine.
I've updated all relevant references in my project to be sure I don't have lingering 2013 versions about, and all is well on that front.
It's just this one file that's not behaving.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 25 Aug 2015, 01:48 PM
To be more specific:
The guide post I linked above says "2. Add the respective xaml files for the desired theme. ..."
How/where are those xaml files to be added? We've been using this theme for over 2 years, but we don't have any of those xaml files anywhere in our solution currently.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 27 Aug 2015, 12:53 PM
Hello Patrick,

Please test to re-add all assemblies manually from the local examples folder, and all XAML resources from the Wpf folder. More details where resources are located are available in How to: Add report viewer manually to a WPF application.

General upgrade instructions if you have both Telerik Reporting and Telerik UI for WPF:

• Get Telerik Reporting assemblies from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q2 2015\Bin;
  • Get Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q2 2015\Wpf\Themes;
  • Get Telerik UI for WPF assemblies from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for WPF Q2 2015\Binaries.NoXaml;
  • Get the corresponding XAML files (without Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml) from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\UI for WPF Q2 2015\Themes.Implicit;

If you are using Telerik UI for WPF theme assemblies, the XAML can be referred from the corresponding theme's DLL - Setting a Theme (Using Implicit Styles).

If you need further help, feel free to open a support ticket and send us a demo project to check your settings.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Patrick
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Aug 2015, 03:31 PM

The guide references this folder, but there is no "examples" folder in the Reporting Q2 2015 folder:

C:\Program Files\Telerik\Reporting Q2 2015\Examples\CSharp\WpfDemo\bin

The guide also says to "Add the following xaml files", which was part of my question above: "add them to where?"

You said "Get Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.xaml from C:\Program Files (x86)\Telerik\Reporting Q2 2015\Wpf\Themes;"
I'm asking "Where do I put it?"

Thank you.

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 28 Aug 2015, 12:48 PM
Hi Patrick,

Please, check the Installing Telerik Reporting article, where you can find details how to install Telerik Reporting, and what and where will be included.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik
Do you want to have your say when we set our development plans? Do you want to know when a feature you care about is added or when a bug fixed? Explore the Telerik Feedback Portal and vote to affect the priority of the items
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2017, 03:15 PM

I've tried everything here and nothing works. I was on a 2013 version. I had not made changes to the application in years and needed to update one of the reports in it. At this point I had newer Telerik assemblies installed on my system (2017.1.222.40) so I updated my application to use them. At this point the reports were blank as was the report viewer window when opened in Visual Studio 2017.

1. I updated [Telerik.Windows.] + [Data, Controls, Controls.Data, Controls.Input, and Controls.Navigation] to 2017.1.222.40.
2. I updated Telerik.Reporting and Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf to 11.0.17.222.
3. I removed any theming from the application.
4. I added a "Theme" directory and added the "Windows 7" files System.Windows, Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf, and Telerik.Windows.Controls, and [Input/Navigation] to it.
5. I added these in App.Xaml into my Application -> Application.Resources -> ResourceDictionary -> ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries area.
6. I added binding redirects to app.config - configuration/runtime/assemblyBinding. Telerik.Windows.Controls and Input/Navigation.
7. Clean and rebuild and the Visual Studio designer now shows my report viewer as expected.
8. Run the application and the window is still blank. I have about a dozen reports and all come up the same way.
9. All assemblies actually reside in an "Assemblies" folder inside the application so that installing/uninstalling Telerik components doesn't break anything for me.
10. Reporting assemblies came from Telerik Install Directory\Reporting R1 2017\Bin.
11. WPF assemblies came from Telerik Install Directory\Telerik\UI for WPF R1 2017\Binaries\WPF40.
12. I also tried the NoXaml assemblies as well.

Can anyone add something to try here or help? 

Stef
Telerik team
answered on 27 Mar 2017, 04:49 PM
Hi Paul,

Please check if XAML resources are loaded when you run the application. If you have relative path to each XAML file, try specifying the assembly they are built in e.g.:
<ResourceDictionary Source="/MyProjectNameHere;component/Themes/OfficeBlack/System.Windows.xaml" />

For more details, check Pack URIs in WPF.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik by Progress
Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2017, 05:56 PM

There are many ResourceDictionary items in the MergedDictionaries already. They are all loaded and work. I notice you reference "Themes" as the location - not "Theme" so I renamed that sub folder (I had created it just for this change). This didn't do anything. 

I didn't get a difference when I tried the pack URI. Actually the lines show in blue squiggly meaning it's not right. It doesn't show this the way I had it. Also the window that holds the report viewer does show the report viewer in design mode, just not when running.

Paul
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 27 Mar 2017, 06:02 PM
One last thing to note: When I view the window containing the ReportViewer, I can see in the WPF property window that the style is set to a "System.Windows.Style". When I click the box on it and select "Go to source" I am navigated to my Themes directory to the Telerik.ReportViewer.Wpf.Xaml file. So this all does appear to be set up right.
Stef
Telerik team
answered on 29 Mar 2017, 04:21 PM
Hi Paul,

If the XAML Designer manages to display the viewer with its theme, but at run-time the theme is not applied, this must be an issue with how XAML resources are loaded.

Please check the paths to the XAML files, and if you use relative paths, adjust them based on the application's execution folder or copy the XAML resources relatively to the execution folder.
If you use the suggested URI, it should be considered with the project in which XAML resources are built-in - the name of the project and the folder with XAML resources.

In order to provide you more accurate suggestions, please open a support ticket and send us a demo project that illustrates the settings and reproduces the problem.

Regards,
Stef
Telerik by Progress
Tags
General Discussions
Asked by
Ricky
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Peter
Telerik team
Ricky
Top achievements
Rank 1