This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.

Up / Down Keys Not Work after Switch to Sibling ChildGridViewTemplate in 2009Q3Beta

6 Answers 46 Views
GridView
This is a migrated thread and some comments may be shown as answers.
Tom Chien
Top achievements
Rank 1
Tom Chien asked on 20 Oct 2009, 09:39 PM
I just installed Telerik Q3 2009 WinForms BETA (2009.2.9.1016) over Q2 2009 (2009.2.9.729) and the Up and Down keys stopped working in at least the following scenario:

1. Click on any Row in a ChildGridViewTemplate of the MasterGiewTemplate.
  2. Switch to a Sibling (not Cousin) of that ChildGridViewTemplate,
  3. If the CurrentRow jumps up to the Parent Row of the ChildGridViewTemplate, press the Down Key to move the CurrentRow into Sibling ChildGridViewTemplate, else proceed to step 4.
  4. Pressing Up and Down Key after the 1st 0 to 1 times no longer move the CurrentRow (unless I click on another Row).

The only RadGridView change mentioned was removing separate Vertical Scroll Bars for Grids with ChildGridViewTemplates.

Telerik 2009Q3 Beta (2009.2.9.1016), VS 2005 (v8.0.50727.762 SP.050727-7600), XP SP3 on Core2Duo 2.99GHZ with 3GB.

6 Answers, 1 is accepted

Sort by
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 23 Oct 2009, 08:13 AM
Hi Tom,

Thank you for reporting this issue. I logged it in our bug tracking system. Your Telerik points are updated.

Sincerely yours,
Jack
the Telerik team

Instantly find answers to your questions on the new Telerik Support Portal.
Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tom Chien
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 10 Nov 2009, 05:40 PM
I verified this is still a bug in the final release of Q3 2009.  Although, it applies to switching Tabs via mouse or keyboard, it's really critical for keyboard access, because it makes the workarounds y'all gave me for the Ctrl-Page Up / Ctrl-Page Down Shortcut Keys for Previous / Next Tab pretty pointless since they'd have to use the mouse anyway to regain use of the Up / Down keys.  They may as well use the mouse exclusively.  http://www.telerik.com/community/forums/winforms/gridview/change-to-different-sibling-childgridviewtemplate-programmatically-in-radgridview.aspx

Are y'all going to fix it?
Jack
Telerik team
answered on 13 Nov 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Tom Chien,

I confirm that the issue appears in the final Q3 release - sorry for this. We will try to address it for the upcoming service pack.

I managed to work around the issue by using custom details cell that inherits from GridDetalViewCellElement. You should handle the TabSelected event and change the current row manually. Here is the code:

Private Sub radGridView1_CreateCell(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As GridViewCreateCellEventArgs)
    If e.CellType Is GetType(GridDetailViewCellElement) Then
        e.CellType = GetType(CustomDetailsCell)
    End If
End Sub

Public Class CustomDetailsCell
    Inherits GridDetailViewCellElement
    Private subscribed As Boolean

Public Sub New(ByVal column As GridViewColumn, ByVal row As GridRowElement)
        MyBase.New(column, row)
    End Sub

Public Overloads Overrides Sub UpdateInfo()
        MyBase.UpdateInfo()
        If Not subscribed Then
            subscribed = True
            AddHandler Me.TabStripElement.TabSelected, AddressOf TabStripElement_TabSelected
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub TabStripElement_TabSelected(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal args As TabEventArgs)
        Dim detailsRowInfo As GridViewDetailsRowInfo = DirectCast(Me.RowInfo, GridViewDetailsRowInfo)
        If detailsRowInfo.ChildViewInfo.RootGroup.RowCount > 0 Then
            Me.GridControl.CurrentView = Me.ChildTableElement
            detailsRowInfo.ChildViewInfo.RootGroup(0).IsCurrent = True
        End If
    End Sub
End Class

I hope it helps. I updated your Telerik points for this report.

Greetings,
Jack
the Telerik team

Watch a video on how to optimize your support resource searches and check out more tips on the blogs.
Tom Chien
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2009, 06:40 PM
1. Thanks, the workaround helps but it still often gets stuck.  Sometimes, when you switch Tabs, only one Cell vs. the whole Row is highlighted at which point pressing Up / Down once will highlight the whole Row, but pressing it again does nothing.  Sometimes, pressing Up a 2nd time will move up a Row.  In Q2 2009, in the 1st Tab, it would highlight always just 1 Cell, but would still allow moving to previous / next Row with the Up / Down key albeit still with only 1 Cell highlighted on each Row.  In the 2nd+ Tabs, it would often highlight always just 1 Cell when switching to it and also still allow moving to previous / next Row with the Up / Down key, but after the 1st Up / Down Key, it starts highlighting the whole Row.

2. I look forward to the fix in Q3 2009 you promised.

3. Also, I'm getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." when I Down key into an empty Tab.  Sometimes, I get it even on Tabs that have Rows.  That's with or without your work around.

4. I don't know if it's supposed to do this, but I will need to Up / Down into an empty Tabs on read-only Grids because I have ContextMenu options (i.e. "New Row") I need to be available via keyboard even on empty Tabs.

Tom Chien
Top achievements
Rank 1
answered on 18 Nov 2009, 07:56 PM
5. I had to change "CustomDetailsCell.UpdateInfo"'s "If Not subscribed Then" to "If Not subscribed And Me.TabStripElement IsNot Nothing Then" or I would get an "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error upon expanding a 3rd (0-based) / 4th (1-based) ChildGridViewTemplate.

Re. 3: My fix to your workaround in #5 above also appears to have fixed the error upon Down key into an empty Tab.

Jack
Telerik team
answered on 19 Nov 2009, 03:40 PM
Hello Tom, I am glad to hear that you have found a solution. We will try to solve the issue in our upcoming service pack.

Greetings,
Jack
the Telerik team

Tags
GridView
Asked by
Tom Chien
Top achievements
Rank 1
Answers by
Jack
Telerik team
Tom Chien
Top achievements
Rank 1